Astros Problems...

Pedro Feliz... Hitting .207 with 2 HRs. Bust
Carlos Lee... Hitting .199 with 5 HRs. Sadly, we're stuck with this guy due to his contract
Catching Position.. But Castro isn't quite ready in AAA.
Back-up outfielders... Sullivan is our best option. Got a few guys in AAA that could be doing the same thing while getting experience for the future.
Paulino... How is he still in the big leagues? Wesley Wright and Josh Banks are doing great in AAA.
Berkman.. Slow start
Oswalt.. Not happy in Houston, trade him.

I'm sure I missed a few.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="806352" timestamp="1274987372"]
You missed the releasing of Matsui. And Bud Norris hasn't been good either.
[/quote]

Well releasing Matsui fixed a problem.
And Norris threw well last start and I still have high hopes for him. I don't want to admit he's a problem yet. lol

I still think that the biggest problems lie with the owner and GM. McClane doesnt want to spend money at the right times and Ed Wade hasn't shown me much. Maybe Bob Watson and Gerry Husicker set the bar too high, nevertheless, I am not impressed.

[quote name="underrated2010" post="806494" timestamp="1275008988"]
Need to bring Chris Johnson back up from AAA. Hes hitting around .370 and has a good glove
[/quote]

I say give the every day 3rd base job to Blum for at least two weeks and see how he does. Leave Johnson down there and see if he continues, and if Blum isn't doing awesome then you bring Johnson back up. Feliz needs to be a back up.

I agree with Blum needing more playing time at third.

I agree were stuck with Lee but he doesn't have to play. Give Micheals more playing time, can't hurt.

Not one starter hitting 300.

I still think it was a major screw up not trading Tejada in the second half of last season.

It's hard to rate a coach with as little to work with as he has but I haven't seen much from him to be impressed with.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="806865" timestamp="1275070469"]
They are only 3 things away from being a great team. They just need better players, better coaches, and better management! Fix those 3 things and we will win it all!
[/quote] :o :o  too funny

The Astros need to fire/reassign the batting coach!  I know you can't change things overnight.  But this move would show the fans and the players that you are trying to do something!  There are some decent bats there to work with.  Just a little adjustment and you never know!  Create a little run support and maybe your pitchers can stand on the bump and throw their game. 

[quote name="mat" post="806695" timestamp="1275052893"]

I agree were stuck with Lee but he doesn't have to play. Give Micheals more playing time, can't hurt.

I still think it was a major screw up not trading Tejada in the second half of last season.

It's hard to rate a coach with as little to work with as he has but I haven't seen much from him to be impressed with.
[/quote]

Blum can't hit lefties,  Michaels hasn't ever hit more than .200 in a season.  What is needed is a big influx of some young talent and that happens through the draft and trades.  The astros haven't drafted very well in recent years and the majority of their trades have been trying to get players to"win now" and that has wired out horribly.  Spending money isn't the problem they have one of the highest payrolls in MLB.  It's how the money is allotted.  Too much is tied up in too few individuals.  Timmy P put the club in a big hole with his inability toanage the front office.

[quote name="CrashDavis" post="807089" timestamp="1275106506"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=70079.msg806695#msg806695 date=1275052893]

[/quote]

Blum can't hit lefties,  Michaels hasn't ever hit more than .200 in a season.  What is needed is a big influx of some young talent and that happens through the draft and trades.  The astros haven't drafted very well in recent years and the majority of their trades have been trying to get players to"win now" and that has wired out horribly.  Spending money isn't the problem they have one of the highest payrolls in MLB.  It's how the money is allotted.  Too much is tied up in too few individuals.  Timmy P put the club in a big hole with his inability toanage the front office.
[/quote]

I've been saying for a long time that trades is the way to go. It's clear that the Astros do not draft well. It may be a little bit of a "homer" for me to say, but the Astros best draft pick in quite a while was taking Buna/Lamar alum Colin Delome in the 5th round of the 07 draft. He has steadily climbed his way through the organization in a short period of time, and will probably be ready for the bigs by the end of this year. Not many Astros prospects can say that. Since they can't draft well, they must trade to fix this organization. Make Roy Oswalt happy and trade him. You get a MINIMUM of 2 great prospects for him. If you wait until the deadline, you may get 3 great prospects. Berkman, you AT LEAST get 1 great prospect, maybe two. If you trade both of them, that's a minimum of 3 terrific prospects. That's 3 future position players or 2 future pitchers and a solid position player. They have to start trading. In my opinion, no one is untouchable. If the right team comes calling for a certain player and is willing to give enough, get rid of them all.

The hitting coach is not the problem on this team.  It may actually be a problem, but it is way down the list of things that are wrong with this club.  I have said it for several years now, but Timmy P destroyed this club.  He had a lot of help from Drayton, but it is the general manager's job to run the club and Timmy P was essentially a yes man.  The farm system is the worst in the league, and the big league club is devoid of actual major league talent outside of three or four players in the current lineup. 

Ed Wade is known for his ability to stock a farm system.  Look at what he did in Philly.  The core of that team that has been the NL representative in the Word Series the last two years was built by Ed Wade.  He drafted Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Shane Victorino, Cole Hamels, Jimmy Rollins and several other players on that team.

I say we give Wade a chance to build the system, but there is no quick fix to get this team back to the top of the NL Central standings.

Guest jhamilton
it is wat it is and hopefully the can right the ship. heard charlie say that they eight of the first three picks in mondays draft.

I agree Wade is the problem also, he keeps trying to sell the people a El Camino and saying it's a F-150.  I have discussed the draft situation with some friends and we are about 75% sure they will draft a catcher with one of the first 3 picks for some unknown reason then pick up that utility player that is below average but a swell of a guy!!!

I don't have a problem if they draft a catcher because often times a catcher becomes something else in the minor leagues.  OFten times catchers are the smartest players out on the field and they translate well to third base or first base or even outfielders if they are athletic enough.  In the basebal draft it is often about taking the best player available since you won't see this kid on the big club for 2 - 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• Tim Erickson from Orangefieldโ€ฆ.
    • Lucky for Orangefield thereโ€™s only 3 games max to play.ย  ย  Someone said they had a pitcher or 2 throw 90โ€™s but I donโ€™t know that for a fact. ย Rumors.ย ย  it appears that Orangefield will see some faster pitchers this round. Generally speaking I havenโ€™t been too impressed with Orangefield opponents pitching. Only pitcher so far that was fast (92 mph) was vs Woodville in first game & Orangefield got several runs off of him.ย  ย  Looking for a good series with no injuries for both teams.ย 
    • Apologies if this is a stupid question, but why would they just not renew his contract for the 24/25 school year if he had multiple write-ups? I know teachers and paraprofessionals don't get their contract renewed if their performance is bad enough - are coaches' contract situations different?
    • โ€œWe have incredible evidence that itโ€™s gain-of-function research again being done in US laboratories.โ€ โ€œ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐›๐ข๐ซ๐ ๐Ÿ๐ฅ๐ฎ ๐ฌ๐œ๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฌ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ž ๐—, ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐†๐ฅ๐จ๐›๐š๐ฅ ๐•๐š๐œ๐œ๐ข๐ง๐ž ๐€๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐š๐ง๐œ๐ž ๐ฌ๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ƒ๐ข๐ฌ๐ž๐š๐ฌ๐ž ๐— โ€” ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ ๐จ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐จ ๐œ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐จ๐จ๐ ๐ข๐ง๐ฌ๐ž๐œ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ ๐š๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ๐ž๐š๐ซ ๐ ๐จ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ข๐ง๐ญ๐จ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ฅ๐ž๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐œ๐ฒ๐œ๐ฅ๐ž.โ€
    • Itโ€™s very difficult to fire an educator. ย Itโ€™s not difficult to reassign them and put them in a situation where theyโ€™re likely to leave on their own. ย Iโ€™m not sure of the legality of exposing an employeeโ€™s work records, but it seems likely itโ€™s not allowed if nothing criminal took place. ย 
  • Topics