The decision about the Beaumont's new athletic complex absolutely blows my mind.

[quote name="SgtRey" post="794748" timestamp="1272247288"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg794738#msg794738 date=1272244848]
Hey SGTJERK, we love our small school. Were parents support their kids in great numbers and they get a better education based on numbers than Westbrook does or any school from Beaumont except Kelly.  :P
[/quote]
[b]Hey PMS Orange, We support our kids in great numbers too...use what ever numbers you want tampax, if my boys are in the top 15% of their class....They're probably number one or two in Orangefield...[/b][/quote]

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="SgtRey" post="794748" timestamp="1272247288"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg794738#msg794738 date=1272244848]
Hey SGTJERK, we love our small school. Were parents support their kids in great numbers and they get a better education based on numbers than Westbrook does or any school from Beaumont except Kelly.  :P
[/quote]
[b]Hey PMS Orange, We support our kids in great numbers too...use what ever numbers you want tampax, if my boys are in the top 15% of their class....They're probably number one or two in Orangefield...[/b][/quote]

Dont sell yourself short.  Top 15% at Westbrook is likely at least salutatorian at Orangefield.

I don't dislike Orangefield, but two things I've realized over the years is 1.  they don't pay, and aren't willing to hire a big time coach.  As long as your a yes man and buddies with the sup, you get the job.  2.  They are fantasy minded.  They start off 3-0 with wins over Buna, Tarkington and any other annual scub they think they are great.  Any time they play a decent team they lose.  Its been a long time since OF has had a legitmite team that could compete with anyone decent.  But you'll have a hard time convincing them of the truth though.

[quote name="Tejas" post="794829" timestamp="1272287936"]
[quote author=SgtRey link=topic=68741.msg794748#msg794748 date=1272247288]
[/quote]

Dont sell yourself short.  Top 15% at Westbrook is likely at least salutatorian at Orangefield.

I don't dislike Orangefield, but two things I've realized over the years is 1.  they don't pay, and aren't willing to hire a big time coach.  As long as your a yes man and buddies with the sup, you get the job.  2.  They are fantasy minded.  They start off 3-0 with wins over Buna, Tarkington and any other annual scub they think they are great.  Any time they play a decent team they lose.   Its been a long time since OF has had a legitmite team that could compete with anyone decent.  [b]But you'll have a hard time convincing them of the truth though[/b].
[/quote]
I agree...

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Tejas" post="794829" timestamp="1272287936"]
Hey SGTJERK, we love our small school. Were parents support their kids in great numbers and they get a better education based on numbers than Westbrook does or any school from Beaumont except Kelly.  :P
[/quote]

Dont sell yourself short.  Top 15% at Westbrook is likely at least salutatorian at Orangefield.

I don't dislike Orangefield, but two things I've realized over the years is 1.  they don't pay, and aren't willing to hire a big time coach.  As long as your a yes man and buddies with the sup, you get the job.  2.  They are fantasy minded.  They start off 3-0 with wins over Buna, Tarkington and any other annual scub they think they are great.  Any time they play a decent team they lose.   Its been a long time since OF has had a legitmite team that could compete with anyone decent.  But you'll have a hard time convincing them of the truth though.
[/quote]

You have no clue what you are talking about. How did we go from education to football? I will agree that Orangefield does not pay big money for coaches But we do have a good AD now and he will turn things around. I am not just talking about "Wins". Our tax base is largely on the cummunity.

Our boys may not compete well in football but they compete well in some of the other sports. Our girls program can compete with anyone and does. I am sure some parents in Orangefield are delusional about their expectation for the program. Those same delusional parents are at every school.

It's not like westbrook is setting the world on fire with their athletic sucess either. No fantasy here just reality.  One more thing, your great, wonderful superintendent who had a stadium named after him has a salary that is more than everyone that works in our administration building put together.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="794872" timestamp="1272296367"]
[quote author=Tejas link=topic=68741.msg794829#msg794829 date=1272287936]
Hey SGTJERK, we love our small school. Were parents support their kids in great numbers and they get a better education based on numbers than Westbrook does or any school from Beaumont except Kelly.  :P
[/quote]

Dont sell yourself short.  Top 15% at Westbrook is likely at least salutatorian at Orangefield.

I don't dislike Orangefield, but two things I've realized over the years is 1.  they don't pay, and aren't willing to hire a big time coach.  As long as your a yes man and buddies with the sup, you get the job.  2.  They are fantasy minded.  They start off 3-0 with wins over Buna, Tarkington and any other annual scub they think they are great.  Any time they play a decent team they lose.   Its been a long time since OF has had a legitmite team that could compete with anyone decent.  But you'll have a hard time convincing them of the truth though.
[/quote]

You have no clue what you are talking about. How did we go from education to football? I will agree that Orangefield does not pay big money for coaches But we do have a good AD now and he will turn things around. I am not just talking about "Wins". Our tax base is largely on the cummunity.

Our boys may not compete well in football but they compete well in some of the other sports. Our girls program can compete with anyone and does. I am sure some parents in Orangefield are delusional about their expectation for the program. Those same delusional parents are at every school.

[b]It's not like westbrook is setting the world on fire with their athletic sucess either[/b]. No fantasy here just reality.  One more thing, your great, wonderful superintendent who had a stadium named after him has a salary that is more than everyone that works in our administration building put together.
[/quote]
Sure you want to go there....?

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="SgtRey" post="794883" timestamp="1272297634"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg794872#msg794872 date=1272296367]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]It's not like westbrook is setting the world on fire with their athletic sucess either[/b]. No fantasy here just reality.  One more thing, your great, wonderful superintendent who had a stadium named after him has a salary that is more than everyone that works in our administration building put together.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yep, if we compare the girls program also. ;D

This thread has gotten way off track.  The question was, "should the stadium be named after Thomas?"  I think most would say no.   Somehow, this became an attack on BISD.    It's not perfect, but nobody is going to come in here and make it perfect.   Way too many different problems for that.  It's arguable  whether Thomas has done a good job.  BISD is better than it was, so he has done some good things.  Could he do some things better?  Probably.  Who  couldn't?

But there is just no way to compare Beaumont to a small community school.  Each has their own problems, and plusses.

[quote name="SgtRey" post="794891" timestamp="1272298255"]
[quote author=tracker1012 link=topic=68741.msg794885#msg794885 date=1272298035]
I wonder why the great mastermind Dr. Carol Thomas thought he could homestead more than 1 home. I guess it must have been an accident.
[/quote]
LOL..
[/quote]

Bleed must have never seen the Brook girls power  lifters.          ;)

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="westend1" post="794890" timestamp="1272298233"]
This thread has gotten way off track.  The question was, "should the stadium be named after Thomas?"  I think most would say no.   Somehow, this became an attack on BISD.    It's not perfect, but nobody is going to come in here and make it perfect.   Way too many different problems for that.  It's arguable  whether Thomas has done a good job.  BISD is better than it was, so he has done some good things.  Could he do some things better?  Probably.  Who  couldn't?

But there is just no way to compare Beaumont to a small community school.  Each has their own problems, and plusses.
[/quote]

I agree good post. As I said in a previous post, IMO there are some more deserving names for the complex.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="794884" timestamp="1272297904"]
[quote author=SgtRey link=topic=68741.msg794883#msg794883 date=1272297634]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg794872#msg794872 date=1272296367]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
We can do girls .....IDK...let me see.....We have girls at Regional track...that's not over....Powerlifting girls were NATIONAL champs(happens after you win STATE)....softball girls are DISTRICT champs, girls soccer(according to the enterpise) was undefeated in district play....I'm researching the rest of our girls athletics...but I believe our we did pretty well in : swimming, tennis, golf(pretty well means, the girls reached the regional level)...volleyball or basketball(probably our week sports this year)....please anyone can correct me if I'm wrong...I do not have daughters at WB.

[quote name="SgtRey" post="794904" timestamp="1272299809"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg794884#msg794884 date=1272297904]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

We can do girls .....IDK...let me see.....We have girls at Regional track...that's not over....Powerlifting girls were NATIONAL champs(happens after you win STATE)....softball girls are DISTRICT champs, girls soccer(according to the enterpise) was undefeated in district play....I'm researching the rest of our girls athletics...but I believe our we did pretty well in : swimming, tennis, golf(pretty well means, the girls reached the regional level)...volleyball or basketball(probably our week sports this year)....please anyone can correct me if I'm wrong...I do not have daughters at WB.
[/quote]
I'll be your wing man on this one SGT [s]JERK[/s] (sorry--i used cut and paste ) I can vouch for the Softball 21AAAAA champ and the USA National weightlifting champs.  

Also, the way these out of town boys seem to be hanging around  Beaumont on the week ends, tells me that our girls are prettier also.   ;D

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="SgtRey" post="794904" timestamp="1272299809"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg794884#msg794884 date=1272297904]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Last post on this. Boys side first, regional qualifiers in Track, Golf, Tennis, Powerlifting (one went to state) and baseball will either be district champs or co. Basketball had a winning record barley missed playoffs. Girls side, Playoffs the last 8 years in basketball, regoinal quaterfinals twice and regional semifinals twice. Volleyball playoffs the last two years, Regional qualifiers in, tennis, golf and track. Softball tied for 3rd but lost play in game. I will admit that basketball is our best sport on the girls side.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="794942" timestamp="1272305318"]
[quote author=SgtRey link=topic=68741.msg794904#msg794904 date=1272299809]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Last post on this. Boys side first, regional qualifiers in Track, Golf, Tennis, Powerlifting (one went to state) and baseball will either be district champs or co. Basketball had a winning record barley missed playoffs. Girls side, Playoffs the last 8 years in basketball, regoinal quaterfinals twice and regional semifinals twice. Volleyball playoffs the last two years, Regional qualifiers in, tennis, golf and track. Softball tied for 3rd but lost play in game. I will admit that basketball is our best sport on the girls side.
[/quote]

So I take it your are not going to challenge us on our good looks.  ;D

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="WeedBegone" post="794947" timestamp="1272306197"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=68741.msg794942#msg794942 date=1272305318]
[quote author=SgtRey link=topic=68741.msg794904#msg794904 date=1272299809]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So I take it your are not going to challenge us on our good looks.  ;D
[/quote]

That's funny ;D ;D Dang it you made me post again.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="794872" timestamp="1272296367"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not like westbrook is setting the world on fire with their athletic sucess either. No fantasy here just reality.  One more thing, your great, wonderful superintendent who had a stadium named after him has a salary that is more than everyone that works in our administration building put together.
[/quote]

I know plenty.  I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what Orangefield is good in on the boys side.  I guess a 1 year wonder on the baseball diamond constitutes as success.  IDK. 

The boys track team is an udder mess, didn't even field a mile relay at the district meet.  Ed Peveto would roll over in his grave.  And I believe the track coach is kin to him. 

Boys basketball fields a good team every 30 years, and football, well, as long as they play Huntington, Tarkington and Buna they will be fine.

Tell me, what has Huckaby done.  From what I hear, most in the community cant stand the guy because of his personality and arrogance.  You get what you pay for though. 

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Tejas" post="794978" timestamp="1272311465"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know plenty.  I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what Orangefield is good in on the boys side.  I guess a 1 year wonder on the baseball diamond constitutes as success.  IDK. 

The boys track team is an udder mess, didn't even field a mile relay at the district meet.   Ed Peveto would roll over in his grave.  And I believe the track coach is kin to him. 

Boys basketball fields a good team every 30 years, and football, well, as long as they play Huntington, Tarkington and Buna they will be fine.

Tell me, what has Huckaby done.  From what I hear, most in the community cant stand the guy because of his personality and arrogance.  You get what you pay for though. 
[/quote]

Man, you are making me post again. You are right about the track program and Ed Peveto. I know because I played for Ed and also ran track. I am willing to give Huckaby some time. Who cares if the parents don't like him. Some of them are a little goofy anyway. Huckaby is a disciplinarian and gives them structure, that is exactly what the boys need. Maybe it won't help them win because sometimes you just don't have the talent. But it will give them a better opportunity. Also the kids like him. Since 2005 we have been very competitive in boys basketball. Something that had not happen the previous 50. We also have a pretty good freshmen group if they stick together. Huckaby's personality is different but he is not there to make friends. It is a upgrade.

Guest Newbie
[quote name="thetragichippy" post="794957" timestamp="1272307945"]
Man......you need full pads to be hangin out in this thread  :D
[/quote]
;D ;D ;D No pads, FULL CONTACT  ;D ;D ;D

Guest Newbie
[quote name="westend1" post="794890" timestamp="1272298233"]

[/quote]
Agreed.  The thing with BISD is, we're family, maybe a little dysfunctional but still family.  Whose family isn't?  CBT is the uncle nobody likes because he gets all the nice gifts(salary, bonuses, etc.) from the adoptive 'rents (board).  The rest of the schools in BISD are our brothers and sisters.  No matter how much you hate 'em, and fight with 'em, if someone picks on 'em, you stand up for 'em.

Guest Newbie
[quote name="bleed orange" post="794738" timestamp="1272244848"]
[/quote]
Okay, I looked on the TEA website and although West Brook is academically acceptable and Orangefield is Recognized, the numbers just don't support your claim.  Compare the SAT and ACT average scores, heck include Lumberton to the mix.  I'll stick with WB.  I'm too lazy to copy and paste the links but they're there if you're interested.  For a campus that is so diverse in ethnicity, economic class, and social standing, our kids aren't doing too bad.
Mediocre athletic achievements, you say?  Check this out:  [url=http://www.beaumont.k12.tx.us/ath-results.pdf]BISD site[/url]  Although not complete, it gives you an insight of what our melting pot can do.  Yes, girls soccer and softball were district champs this year, and girls powerlifting are state champs, AGAIN  :)