Yates Update

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="no-look" post="791285" timestamp="1271466686"]
Heard today that Goree Allen a 6'2" sg checked out of Wheatly into Yates. He joins Tre Bennett, Milbys leading score who recently transfered to Yates.....academics must be really great over there.....
[/quote]

I guess they see where to go if they want to win...thats crazy

I would like to know how many kids have moved into Yates high school to play basketball in the last two years since the current head coach signed on.  Just look how he shopped his own kid in high school to see his beliefs.  Pathetic.  High school basketball has been ruined by the current UIL admin. allowing this type of non-sense.

THIS IS A JOKE.....BASICALLY THIS GUY IS SAYING, I CANT COACH, I HAVE TO GO OUT AND GET THE BEST KIDS IN HOUSTON.  #1 How challenging is that. #2 How ethical is that when the other coaches in the state are working their butt off to try to not get embarassed, if they happen to match up against them inthe playoffs...Is U.I.L. to blame , yep if they allow it...Academics?? Please, next question. One reason only. This is not college basketball, recruiting is not part of H.S. basketball....Are they a private? Nope..Dont come on here and say kids can go anywhere they want in Houston because thats wrong too...3 million plus vs some communities with 12,000 and in the 4a division!!! Unethical, when you sign on to coach, you play with the hand dealt...Or find the AAU circuit where its accepted..WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

i've made it pretty clear in other posts that i don't like this guy, but that being said, i doubt very seriously he's having to do any "recruiting" to get these players to transfer.  what 17-year-old basketball stud from houston wouldn't want to play for the best basketball program in the nation, especially when it's basically in his backyard?  the fault here lies with UIL rules, not with coach wise. 

Folks, face reality: Houston ISD allows this. Pure and simple. Can you say Bellaire (in TWO sports)???? How's about the 2000 Willowridge (TJ Ford, Ewing et al) team. This is rampant in Ft Bend ISD, too. South Dallas is a total joke with this in EVERY sport. There IS no difference up there between AAU and HS. Killeen/parts of Austin are trying really hard to get there. Wise is simply a more successful recruiter within the rules than others, as lax as they are. Yep, UIL can take the lion's share of the blame. Don't pretend that Wise is unique. OK, he IS unique in how successful he is at it. Some in SE TX don't understand how rampant this is in the big cities. Wise is one of DOZENS who recruit. Its getting worse. EVERYTHING about AAU (any sport) is more bad than good for HS sports teams. BTW, this recruiting issue will enable Strake Jesuit to dominate 5A Region 3 in the next 10 years, maybe sooner.

One last, but very important point: Greg Wise is a tremendous high school coach. NOBODY teaches the variety and effectiveness of full-court pressure against the top competition as well as he does. And those who say anybody could coach those kids by just rolling the ball onto the court are completely wrong. He is a great coach. Even if you don't like his style. Just like Glover at Bellaire is a mediocre coach (and I'm being generous). Look at his talent year-in-and-year-out. Even the knowledgable Dove got himself fooled by Glover this yr. Yates is 20-30 points better than Bellaire and Bellaire has waaaaaaay more "talent."

Not sure about the word tremendous???? Can he coach incredible talent, yes!!! Teaching kids to play pressure defense when you have better athletes is not very hard. On top of that athletes who have very high skill levels equals victories, and alot of them.. Tremendous coaching is what I just saw from the Duke bench. Baskeball players with very high I.Q. level, playing team basketball, with lesser athletes.Not only did Duke win it, but they did it by abiding by the rules..yes, class pays off!!

[quote name="team first" post="793460" timestamp="1271952418"]
Not sure about the word tremendous???? Can he coach incredible talent, yes!!! Teaching kids to play pressure defense when you have better athletes is not very hard. On top of that athletes who have very high skill levels equals victories, and alot of them.. Tremendous coaching is what I just saw from the Duke bench. Baskeball players with very high I.Q. level, playing team basketball, with lesser athletes.Not only did Duke win it, but they did it by abiding by the rules..yes, class pays off!!
[/quote] Pure cliche response without any evidence. Bellaire had waaaaaaaay more talent, yet they are 20-30 points worse than Yates. There is no doubt about this. ESPECIALLY the implication Yates doesn't play team ball. Ludicrious assertion. Care to respond to my Bellaire vs Yates talent comment?

Further evidence that this guy isn't the coach some on this board make him out to be.  4th biggest city in the US to supplement all his graduated talent.  All this guy is is an AAU coach in the UIL.  He's use to fielding teams with players from all over and is continuing doing it at a public school.  The Houston ISD is too ch!chen sh!t to do anything about it though.  I guess they feel it brings some recognition to septic tank of a district.

Tejas hit it right on the nose homeless...For the Bellaire Yates comparison....If you're #1 in the Nation you dont have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less talent than  huh...anybody..except maybe the lakers...as for full court pressing,great players with great instincts and the ability to anticipate can do damage to any unprepared team....But lets not compare teamwork with Duke, not happening!!! How was Yates J.V. team??? Those are the players that we will be seeing on the Varsity next year right??? I think thats the way its supposed to work!!

Once again recruiting comes up and Strake gets thrown into things. and before you go saying I don't know what Im talking about homeless Ive been around the AAU circuit so I know how it is. Strake's three stars being Rasheed and the Harrison Twins all went to Strake on their own accord. Why wouldn't you? They have the best academics period. they have a great coach and look at where they have sent players to play division one basketball. Rice. Penn State. Notre Dame. What parent wouldnt want their kids to get an opportunity to attend a school like that. Your going to tell me that Strake was able to recruit a player away from Westbury Christian? Nope, Rasheed went there because he wanted to go there. Your going to tell me that the Harrison twins were recruited to Strake only to be forced to play JV as freshman when they could have started at any high school in houston? I don't think so. Strake is an established program now that any parent would be crazy not to consider.

[quote name="team first" post="794877" timestamp="1272297100"]
...For the Bellaire Yates comparison....If you're #1 in the Nation you dont have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less talent than   huh...anybody....
[/quote]

Do you see the humogous logical flaw in your assertion? Despite that, tell me which rating service puts the Bellaire team below the Yates team in talent. This is beyond silly. 

[quote name="Kelly Basketball" post="795365" timestamp="1272393042"]
Once again recruiting comes up and Strake gets thrown into things. and before you go saying I don't know what Im talking about homeless Ive been around the AAU circuit so I know how it is. Strake's three stars being Rasheed and the Harrison Twins all went to Strake on their own accord. Why wouldn't you? They have the best academics period. they have a great coach and look at where they have sent players to play division one basketball. Rice. Penn State. Notre Dame. What parent wouldnt want their kids to get an opportunity to attend a school like that. Your going to tell me that Strake was able to recruit a player away from Westbury Christian? Nope, Rasheed went there because he wanted to go there. Your going to tell me that the Harrison twins were recruited to Strake only to be forced to play JV as freshman when they could have started at any high school in houston? I don't think so. Strake is an established program now that any parent would be crazy not to consider.
[/quote] You completely miss my point. Only Strake can do what no other school can do: have players from ANYWHERE on their team. The rest is inertia.

[quote name="team first" post="794877" timestamp="1272297100"]...as for full court pressing,great players with great instincts and the ability to anticipate can do damage to any unprepared team....But lets not compare teamwork with Duke, not happening!!! [/quote]
This is indisputable: teamwork is REQUIRED to press. E-S-P-E-C-I-A-L-L-Y, wait, make that    M-O-S-T    E-S-P-E-C-I-A-L-L-Y,  when the team EFFECTIVELY rotates thru at least half a dozen [u]different[/u] presses without a stop in play. Such assertions do not stand up to the slightest scrutiny. But I do like how you threw in the "any unprepared team" qualifier. So would Lancaster and the other serious competition they beat over the last two years, including Bellaire by about 30 be "unprepared?"

Just say that you hate Greg Wise and leave it at that without making easily refuted arguments like Yates has better talent than Bellaire or that Yates doesn't play team ball. Otherwise (no pun intended), your arguments are too easily dismantled.

Hate Wise, dont know him..Hate anybody, nope. Look buddy, you can press teams without any structure at all. I know coaches who press and dont have a clue where the kids are going...Rules, maybe. Athletes can gamble and get away with alot of mistakes. Amazing how this Yates team doesnt have any players and are #1 in the country? That has to be the best coaching job of all time possibly. You keep comparing Yates to Bellaire and maybe Wise outcoached the guy at Bellaire one game, but saying he outcoached everybody else is a joke, but no pun intended..You didnt answer the question about the Yates J.V. kids, are we going to see any of them next year, or is the recruiting class too strong. And if thats the case how should those J.V. kids feel about that???? If you get beat by 30 with similar athletes its called " unprepared "  But thats coaches talk!! 

[quote name="team first" post="795897" timestamp="1272565622"]
....Look buddy, you can press teams [u]without any structure at all[/u]. I know coaches who press and dont have a clue where the kids are going...Rules, maybe. Athletes can gamble and get away with alot of mistakes. (emphasis added)[/quote]

Anybody else on this thread want to join in with Team1st and tell us all that "you can press teams [u]without any structure at all[/u]?" (circling back to the original assertion: Yates doesn't play as a team) I want to address all of that loopy notion at once.

....Amazing how this Yates team doesnt have any players and are #1 in the country?... [/quote]

Ah, the ever popular (at least on this board) straw man argument: invent something I didn't say, then attribute it to me and then argue against it. What I said was Bellaire has waaaay more D1 talent than Yates, yet Yates is 20-30 points better, thus refuting the any-mediocre-coach-coulda-coached-Yates-to-back2back-state-champs-and-a-natl-championship. Again: Bellaire has waaaay more talent than Yates. Check pretty much any rating service if you don't believe me.

.....You didnt answer the question about the Yates J.V. kids, are we going to see any of them next year, or is the recruiting class too strong. And if thats the case how should those J.V. kids feel about that????
[/quote] I don't know anything about Yates JV kids --  do you? -- and only hear speculation about transfers/recruits to Yates next year. I would not be surprised at all if there are some transfers to Yates next year. Wise is and has always been a top recruiter and a top coach. I've stated both multiple times on these forums. JV kids will be very disappointed if that happens. Therefore......what?

"Wise is and has always been a top recruiter and a top coach."

[hr]

One of those is a good thing, and the other is illegal.  There is a moral and ethical obligation by coaches to play within the rules set forth by the UIL.  Whether Coach Wise is outwardly breaking the rules by actively recruiting, or whether he is trying to circumvent the rules, either way this seems very unethical at the very least. 

But that's one man's opinion.  Just as I thought it showed bad sportsmanship when Yates intentionally fouled the other team in the 4th Q, when they are up by a large magin, simply to try and reach 100 pts. 

And to say Bellaire HS had WAY more talent than the Yates club...well that's an opinion probably only you share. 

Thanks aces, some of us see things differently I guess. But I keep saying to myself, wow I sure would have liked to have seen that Bellaire team this year..Wayyyyyyyyyy more talent, wow, hard to believe, I guess the Bush team that beat them must have been a college level or maybe a juco playing in the high school playoffs. Why, because Wise did not coach at Bush, and that guy can really coach..I saw Bush play in Austin and thought they were pretty good, but didnt have Yates type talent. Maybe the guy at Bush needs some props. Bellaire had Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more talent?????????????Fact is not many have 3 D-1 players and 2 or 3 more who will most likely end up there.Again, good coaching, or good___________ you fill in the blanks!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder