Are you kidding me?

Could someone please explain to me why it was thought, by some, that it was a great idea to name the BISD Multi-purpose Center after BISD's overpaid superintendent? What has this person done that is so great that he should have this facility named after him. A normal and prudent man would have declined that this facility be named after him, but I guess this man is neither normal, or prudent. I guess this is his way of creating some sort of legacy for himself. This just makes me want to vomit! Shame on you BISD board members for voting this way. It SHOULD have been maned after someone that has actually made a difference. Of course I wouldn't object to naming it the Carroll Thomas MEMORIAL Stadium.....that has a better ring to it, dont you think?

Guest Newbie
Seriously?  Next thing you know, they'll be petitioning for his sainthood.  Am I shocked at the 5-1 vote?  Not really.  These board members don't care what the taxpayers think. 

That is a fine name for a building and a great man, who deserves his name to be remembered for years to come.  Think of al the positive things he has done.  What other Sup has ever done as much for their comminuty and the school than he has?  There is not a better Sup in all of South East Teaxs than he is.  By the way, what was his name again?  ;)

Sorry for the diatribe!  First: You are being self rightous if you say that you would refuse the honor of having ANYTHING named after you.  If you live in Beaumont, vote in the next school board election and get rid of those you do not like.  If not, MOVE.  
Second: Get off of the sup. for how much money he makes!!  How many times have YOU turned down a raise!!!! He has done many good things for BISD and some that people do not agree with.  The lawyer that spoke and called him names, I am sure that he has refused judgements in the past that he felt were too much money for him.
Third: I am not in or from Beaumont.  I do not know Carroll Thomas.  I know Beaumont is a RECOGNIZED school district for the first time in many years.  It is just like when people complain about athlete salaries.  Do not blame the athletes, blame the owners and the fans!!!
I have never met a person that went to the boss and asked to be paid less for the same job.
Last: Horrible choice of a name: W.R.S. or bid it out to corporations.

[quote name="football" post="790944" timestamp="1271422632"]
Sorry for the diatribe!  First: You are being self rightous if you say that you would refuse the honor of having ANYTHING named after you.  If you live in Beaumont, vote in the next school board election and get rid of those you do not like.  If not, MOVE.  
Second: Get off of the sup. for how much money he makes!!  How many times have YOU turned down a raise!!!! He has done many good things for BISD and some that people do not agree with.  The lawyer that spoke and called him names, I am sure that he has refused judgements in the past that he felt were too much money for him.
Third: I am not in or from Beaumont.  I do not know Carroll Thomas.  I know Beaumont is a RECOGNIZED school district for the first time in many years.  It is just like when people complain about athlete salaries.  Do not blame the athletes, blame the owners and the fans!!!
I have never met a person that went to the boss and asked to be paid less for the same job.
Last: Horrible choice of a name: W.R.S. or bid it out to corporations.
[/quote]Is it? I thought each school had to get atleast 75% passing, 85% attendence and .07 drop out rate.  Ozen is not a recognized school then. 74% on math exit.... and 10 graders at ozen and central are failing math and science with a 42% and 45%. westbrook 10 graders at 62%, 61%.  does not sound like a RECOGNIZED school to me....
I don't blame the sup for taking the money, I would have too, but the name of the stadium is a little over the top...

Go to the next school board meeting. Not just one or some, but a bunch of people and protest it. See if they will hear the tax payers, and if not vote them out and do the same thing. Are run for school board and change it. I think it should have been named different too. Thomas's name goes better on a school building than a football stadium.

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="790878" timestamp="1271388501"]
I'm all for the stadium, I'm just totally embarassed at what the name represents. At this point in time, I regret to say that I am a BISD taxpayer! SgtRey, I saw you at the board meeting....what are your thoughts on it?
[/quote]

I have never been to a meeting before....from what it sounds like apparently he is given credit for intergrating schools and improving the overall district's education.  I had no idea of the racism that excisted here....more so, the reverse racism (if that's such a phrase)...It's ok for african american to dislike the white man, but if the white man dislikes the african american....your facing the 3rd degree....what ever!....I hate everybody that uses race as an excuse for one's success or an excuse for one's failure.  YOU CAN NOT DENY HARD WORK.... I THINK THE STADIUM SHOULD BE NAMED AFTER MR NIELD, THE ONLY PERSON ON THE BOARD THAT SPEAKS THE TRUTH AND IS NOT AFFRAID TO STAY QUIET.  HE ALSO THE ONE THAT VOTED AGAINST IT..... 

I really think a great name for the stadium would have been:

MCGALLION FAMILY FOOTBALL ARENA

Not only did the McGallion family put Silsbee on the map, but they have continued to provide a positive football atmosphere for the entire state of Texas, with their high level of play and their high level of coaching expertise.

[quote name="SgtRey" post="791751" timestamp="1271616651"]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=68672.msg790878#msg790878 date=1271388501]
I'm all for the stadium, I'm just totally embarassed at what the name represents. At this point in time, I regret to say that I am a BISD taxpayer! SgtRey, I saw you at the board meeting....what are your thoughts on it?
[/quote]

I have never been to a meeting before....from what it sounds like apparently he is given credit for intergrating schools and improving the overall district's education.  I had no idea of the racism that excisted here....more so, the reverse racism (if that's such a phrase)...It's ok for african american to dislike the white man, but if the white man dislikes the african american....your facing the 3rd degree....what ever!....I hate everybody that uses race as an excuse for one's success or an excuse for one's failure.  YOU CAN NOT DENY HARD WORK.... I THINK THE STADIUM SHOULD BE NAMED AFTER MR NIELD, THE ONLY PERSON ON THE BOARD THAT SPEAKS THE TRUTH AND IS NOT AFFRAID TO STAY QUIET.  HE ALSO THE ONE THAT VOTED AGAINST IT.....   
[/quote]I agree with you 100%. I find something else odd. There were 26 items on the agenda the night they voted on this. IT was #24 out of 26. The way I see it, with it being late in the meeting, there would be less opposition to the naming since most folks would be home getting ready for bed. Dont know if this a true statement, just saying......

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="SgtRey" post="791751" timestamp="1271616651"]
[quote author=82 5A State Champs link=topic=68672.msg790878#msg790878 date=1271388501]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sgt Rey I don't have a dog in this hunt but I agree with you totally on the entire statement...Tell it like it is..(karma +1)

[quote name="D3zii" post="790900" timestamp="1271392663"]
That Did Suck...'

Something with Willie Ray Smith Should have been the Name.,.He Put Beaumont on the Map, And Made us The Football Capital of the World..

Did Carrol Thomas Even play football
[/quote]

I agree to making the name WRS and at least to the putting Beaumont on the map part of that.  An that would have been a name that probably 90% of the people in Beaumont could agree on.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="796802" timestamp="1272756851"]
[quote author=KHS 89 link=topic=68672.msg796709#msg796709 date=1272736403]
typical Beaumont.
[/quote] ::) ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]Yea, which is why your basketball coach wants a part of it ;D or is this a kelly fan?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics