PNG to construct Multi-Purpose Student Activities Building

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JoesBros
[quote name="WeedBegone" post="791017" timestamp="1271431225"]
Need to form a committee real fast and get a good name for that building or else  ;D
[/quote]
I vote for the Matt Burnett Athletic Complex  ;)

Guest Penny
[quote name="PNGFan" post="790732" timestamp="1271362950"]
[quote author=ForeverADog link=topic=68660.msg790624#msg790624 date=1271350887]
Wish Ned had some money for this stuff. Must be nice.
[/quote]

Its not the school that is doing it, its the parents and supporters. The school isn't paying any of the construction cost.
Tell the Nederland parents and supporters to get off there wallets.
[/quote]

We won't even build new schools, we're gonna watch our town fall down around our ankles... while arguing over a couple a thousand spent on tiddly winks.  I strongly encourage every voter in Nederland to find out where candidates for the board stand on progressing the district for our kids into the 21st century.  I had an interesting interraction with one of the candidates and it threw up a major red flag for me in regards to their support of our kids.

[quote name="Penny" post="791024" timestamp="1271432194"]
[quote author=PNGFan link=topic=68660.msg790732#msg790732 date=1271362950]
[/quote]

Its not the school that is doing it, its the parents and supporters. The school isn't paying any of the construction cost.
[/quote]

We won't even build new schools, we're gonna watch our town fall down around our ankles... while arguing over a couple a thousand spent on tiddly winks.  I strongly encourage every voter in Nederland to find out where candidates for the board stand on progressing the district for our kids into the 21st century.  I had an interesting interraction with one of the candidates and it threw up a major red flag for me in regards to their support of our kids.
[/quote]

At the risk of getting off topic, I could not agree with Penny more...Nederland voters won't even commit to improving educational facilities much less athletic ones...unless some forward thinkers begin to gain influence in Nederland, I fear our community is headed toward deterioration...Nederland is getting old fast

[quote name="JoesBros" post="790967" timestamp="1271425301"]
So what exactly has the community actually done for him??
[/quote]
By Community I am refering to the School Board as well as the general public that voted them in.
He has asked for the following and recieved it:
New equipment for advanced scouting and evaluation.
Formation of an Athletic Booster Club (Booster club in just under one year has donated equipment to just about every athletic group at PNG).
Approval and land to build the new Multi-Purpose center.
To my knowledge he has yet to be turned down for anything that would not enhance the Athletic Programs at PNG. Very important when building an Athletic PROGRAM to feel like the community has your support.

Also the reason that the Athletic Booster Club was non-existant under Matt Burnett was very simple...He didn't want one!!!

[quote author=JoesBros link=topic=68660.msg790981#msg790981 date=1271426646]
I just dont understand why all of a sudden when you get a new young hot shot coach in there everybody is jumping on the bandwagon?? The support or spirit was down the last years in the Burnet era who IMO is the face of the PNG Athletic Program.
[/quote]

Why do you think the spirit was down??? You think maybe that had something to do with the Burnett era??? I think it was prooven last year that Matt's time had run it's course. Anyone who would argue otherwise is just not checking the facts and being overly protective of a PNG Icon. Matt was and still is a great part of the PNG tradition.

One other thing...The Face of the PNG Athletic Program is now and always will be the faces of those young men and women competing.

[quote name="JoesBros" post="791021" timestamp="1271431429"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=68660.msg791017#msg791017 date=1271431225]
Need to form a committee real fast and get a good name for that building or else  ;D
[/quote]
I vote for the Matt Burnett Athletic Complex  ;)
[/quote]
I would vote for that! Of course there are many over here that would argue that Doug Ethridge's name should be somewhere.

[quote name="badndn" post="791067" timestamp="1271437831"]
[quote author=JoesBros link=topic=68660.msg791021#msg791021 date=1271431429]
Need to form a committee real fast and get a good name for that building or else  ;D
[/quote]
[/quote]
I would vote for that! Of course there are many over here that would argue that Doug Ethridge's name should be somewhere.
[/quote]
Doug Etheridge (IMO) was the greatest PN-G coach since the 70's.
Not losing one district game for almost four years in a row, that hasn't been equaled EVER since PN-G's dynasty years from 1974 to 1977.
Burnett was good, but he was no Etheridge.

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="791076" timestamp="1271438892"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=68660.msg791067#msg791067 date=1271437831]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Not losing one district game for almost four years in a row, that hasn't been equaled EVER since PN-G's dynasty years from 1974 to 1977.
[/quote]
While most would agree from a coaching standpoint about Etheridge, the other factor in Matt's favor is that Matt was big part of PNG football in the 70's as well as a player.

[quote name="badndn" post="791079" timestamp="1271439209"]
[quote author=PURPLE 4EVER link=topic=68660.msg791076#msg791076 date=1271438892]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=68660.msg791067#msg791067 date=1271437831]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
While most would agree from a coaching standpoint about Etheridge, the other factor in Matt's favor is that Matt was big part of PNG football in the 70's as well as a player.
[/quote]
True about that, Burnett was a big time player for the Indians, as a coach though...
Etheridge gets the nod.

[quote name="Razor" post="791041" timestamp="1271434624"]
[quote author=Penny link=topic=68660.msg791024#msg791024 date=1271432194]
[quote author=PNGFan link=topic=68660.msg790732#msg790732 date=1271362950]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At the risk of getting off topic, I could not agree with Penny more...Nederland voters won't even commit to improving educational facilities much less athletic ones...unless some forward thinkers begin to gain influence in Nederland, I fear our community is headed toward deterioration...Nederland is getting old fast
[/quote]

People in Nederland donĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t want forward thinkers, all people care about is keeping taxes down.  From a board candidate "we are not in a competition with our neighborsĆ¢ā‚¬Ā ThatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s what Nederland wants that what we will get, old buildings, and people leaving Nederland everyday. Heck Port Arthur, and Beaumont have new schools and facilities.  Nederland will turn into a slum........

[quote name="dayton" post="791012" timestamp="1271430844"]
[quote author=JoesBros link=topic=68660.msg790981#msg790981 date=1271426646]
I just dont understand why all of a sudden when you get a new young hot shot coach in there everybody is jumping on the bandwagon?? The support or spirit was down the last years in the Burnet era who IMO is the face of the PNG Athletic Program.
[/quote]

He got the ball rolling with getting a Booster Club. So there was really no band wagon to jump on before right. I'm not sure how that draws the "Hot Shot" tag. Did someone keep Burnett (sp?) from starting one?

I'm sure you know much more about the situation than me. I understand that a lot of folks feel that Coach Burnett was mistreated. But.... has Faircloth actually done anything to contribute to that?

Not stirring. I'm honestly asking....
[/quote]
Burnett did not want a booster club.The fans wanted to start one for years.

the booster club was discouraged before faircloth got here.i was told in his interview he was asked about having a booster club.his reply was,i dont see how you can be successful without one.people tend to get excited when a new coach spends his spring break repainting the fieldhouse and girls weight room.he has lead by example so the community will do what they can to help.if faircloth leaves then were better off for him coming here and know what to look for in our next coach.

[quote name="lu cards" post="791098" timestamp="1271441248"]
the booster club was discouraged before faircloth got here.i was told in his interview he was asked about having a booster club.his reply was,i dont see how you can be successful without one.people tend to get excited when a new coach spends his spring break repainting the fieldhouse and girls weight room.he has lead by example so the community will do what they can to help.[b]if faircloth leaves then were better off for him coming here and know what to look for in our next coach.[/b][/quote]
I agree. The program was not in good shape when he was hired and he was chosen from a pretty impressive list of applicants. Whenever he chooses to leave for bigger things I would expect another pretty good list of coaches to apply. Our program is definitely better due to him.

[quote name="JoesBros" post="790981" timestamp="1271426646"]
[/quote]

The answer to your question is simple: for the first time in a quite a while, [u]everyone[/u] in the PN-G community feels like they have something to be proud of, and I'm not just talking about football.

I started a thread on the PN-G site a little while ago that outlined the accomplishments of Port Neches-Groves High School and its various amenities over the course of the 2009-2010 school year. This list of accolades was long at the time, and now it's even longer. Our band competed at the Area F Marching Competition, our football team went undefeated through the first round of the playoffs, our volleyball team went to the playoffs, our basketball team had its first winning season in several years, our baseball team is tied for the second place slot in our league, both of our soccer teams took the district titles and went to the third round of the playoffs, our high school is a recognized school in a recognized district, our UIL Academics team recently took its 10th consecutive district sweepstakes award (the equivalent of a district title) - and this is just what I could think of and type in the space of a few minutes (trust me, there's more). These are great times for PN-G. We're performing well on every front. The Indian Nation realizes that and is getting excited.

The Indians are on the warpath, and as good as this year is, I can't shake the feeling that next year is going to be even better.

Very well said PN-G bandkid!

About naming rights: learn from what BISD just went through--take your time, include the community, and bring some fresh ideas to the table. Make it something to be proud of, not something that creates division and controversy.

[quote name="JoesBros" post="790981" timestamp="1271426646"]
[/quote]

Talk about bitter. Get jealous much?

I personally am disappointed that PN-G doesn't have an indoor football stadium...yet... ;D

Also how much will this indoor facility cost?  I know that LCM baseball often has to practice in the old basketball gym, soccer and softball practices are often forced to be canceled due to rain, lightning, etc, and football practice is also very difficult in a basketball gym...I definately see the advantages of an indoor facility, and i don't imagine that one as simple as what was described by the PN-G school board would be too terribly expensive

[quote name="A Bear's Bear" post="791523" timestamp="1271515782"]
I personally am disappointed that PN-G doesn't have an indoor football stadium...yet... ;D

Also how much will this indoor facility cost?  I know that LCM baseball often has to practice in the old basketball gym, soccer and softball practices are often forced to be canceled due to rain, lightning, etc, and football practice is also very difficult in a basketball gym...I definately see the advantages of an indoor facility, and i don't imagine that one as simple as what was described by the PN-G school board would be too terribly expensive
[/quote]

$600,000 per Coach Faircloth.

[quote name="A Bear's Bear" post="791523" timestamp="1271515782"]

Also how much will this indoor facility cost?  I know that LCM baseball often has to practice in the old basketball gym, soccer and softball practices are often forced to be canceled due to rain, lightning, etc, and football practice is also very difficult in a basketball gym...I definately see the advantages of an indoor facility, and i don't imagine that one as simple as what was described by the PN-G school board would be too terribly expensive
[/quote]

And it will be built with private donations.

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="791526" timestamp="1271515888"]
[quote author=A Bear's Bear link=topic=68660.msg791523#msg791523 date=1271515782]

[/quote]

$600,000 per Coach Faircloth.
[/quote]

Faircloth told me yesterday that it would be $300k,  not 600k...unless I misunderstood him.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami