Lamar athletics grants exclusive television rights to KBTV FOX 4

BEAUMONT – Lamar University and KBTV FOX 4 have reached an agreement that makes FOX 4 Lamar’s exclusive television station for live broadcasts of all Lamar athletic events.

“This is a historic event for FOX 4, and we are delighted to be the official new home of Lamar University athletics,” said Darren Lehrmann, Beaumont general manager of FOX 4, as he joined a number of Lamar officials in announcing the agreement at a Friday morning press conference at FOX 4 headquarters in Parkdale Mall. “We are committed to providing our Southeast Texas viewers, and most importantly – the fans of Lamar sports – with exclusive live coverage of college football, basketball and baseball throughout each year.

“I would like to extend a special thanks to Lamar President Dr. Jimmy Simmons, Director of Athletics Billy Tubbs and Vice President for Finance and Operations Bob Lovitt for granting FOX 4 this exclusive opportunity to partner with Lamar University athletics.”

Pursuant to the agreement, all games will air live on FOX 4 and will include 30-minute pre- and post- game shows. Production and on-air talent will be at the control and expense of FOX 4 with input from Lamar University athletics.

Additionally, FOX 4 will produce a 30-minute prime-time special previewing the upcoming athletic season. The station will also produce a post-season special.

Also, FOX 4 will feature a segment on the latest in Lamar athletics every week from August through the end of the College World Series in June on its expanded Sunday night sports show.

“All of us at KBTV FOX 4 and Nexstar Broadcasting are excited to be a part of the next level of Lamar University athletics,” said Brian Jones, executive vice president and COO of Nexstar Broadcasting Group.

[quote name="NickKBTV" post="788097" timestamp="1270831042"]
We are committed to providing our Southeast Texas viewers, and most importantly – the fans of Lamar sports – with exclusive live coverage of college [b][size=12pt]football, basketball and baseball [/size] [/b] throughout each year.

Pursuant to the agreement, [size=12pt][b]all[/b][/size] games will air live on FOX 4 and will include 30-minute pre- and post- game shows. Production and on-air talent will be at the control and expense of FOX 4 with input from Lamar University athletics.
[/quote]

So as I read this ALL FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL and BASEBALL games will be televised. ALL, meaning both home and away.
What you want to bet that's not the case...Maybe FOX 4 needs to look closely at these press releases before they put them out.

Yes, the way I read it, Fox has exclusive rights, which means they can do all or any game that they choose. It's safe to say they will not be doing all the games, but getting exclusive rights is big. No other local entity can come in and do a game.

Congrats to Fox 4 for stepping up to the plate.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="788132" timestamp="1270837645"][font=Courier]I read it to believe meaning all games that will be aired (outside any ESPN, FSN or SLC games) will be on Fox. Not every single game.[/font][/quote]

Correct...

Lamar v McNeese is a definite addition to the SLC TV Network lineup next year. Figure Lamar will get a bit of love on the SLC Network next year for football...

Hope this doesn't keep people from attending Cardinal games...didn't Fox used to have the contract? I recall them doing a few road games for Billy Ball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83