Rock?

Well there is an article already in the Beaumont Suprise saying that Roc is the Coach RIGHT NOW.... Not saying anything about his future... And there is a poll about Roc getting more time...

Poll
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/sports_talk__do_you_want_roc_back_as_coach_.html

Article
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/tubbs__roc_is_coach__right_now_.html

I like roc and hope everything works out... I would not mind giving him another year unless we can land a big name...

The ignorance of the comments on this subject are astounding.  I stopped reading them after the first seven.  Not one single person on this board knows diddly-pooh about evaluating basketball talent.  Justin Wesley?  He's a freshman, for cryin' out load!  Very unlikely you are going to have freshmen like the kids at UT or the mega-frosh at Kentucky playing here.  If he were that good, he wouldn't be at LU!  Give him time, understand? As for Tubbs, let's recall that he did not do a great deal of winning on his return.  Don't get me wrong, I love the guy.  Even he knows what Roc has dealt with the last two seasons, which is just one reason why Roc should and will stay.  The players are loyal and committed to who brought them to LU.  Remember that.  To say anything else is merely speculation. LU has not returned to glory simply because no consistency has been developed to actually build a program here.  That lack of consistency is due to the revolving door in the coaches' office at the Montagne Center for the last two decades!

[quote name="LemonGello" post="775060" timestamp="1268314121"]
The ignorance of the comments on this subject are astounding.  I stopped reading them after the first seven.  Not one single person on this board knows diddly-pooh about evaluating basketball talent.  Justin Wesley?  He's a freshman, for cryin' out load!  Very unlikely you are going to have freshmen like the kids at UT or the mega-frosh at Kentucky playing here.  If he were that good, he wouldn't be at LU!  Give him time, understand? As for Tubbs, let's recall that he did not do a great deal of winning on his return.  Don't get me wrong, I love the guy.  Even he knows what Roc has dealt with the last two seasons, which is just one reason why Roc should and will stay.  The players are loyal and committed to who brought them to LU.  Remember that.  To say anything else is merely speculation. LU has not returned to glory simply because no consistency has been developed to actually build a program here.  That lack of consistency is due to the revolving door in the coaches' office at the Montagne Center for the last two decades!
[/quote]

Ignorance?  Yet you are the only one pleading for him to stay.  What makes your statement less ignorant than the rest?

It is not less ignorant!!! It is probably the most ignorant.  Talking about knowing didly is this guy.. Roc had one good season, it included a decent Junco Transfer class... Then the recruiting hasn't worked sense. That is three years of recruiting and whats left for next year will only geyt worse.  That means he hasn't done successful recruiting in 3 years.... No incoming freshman will change this team enough. And even more silly is that Roc actually tried to recruit Wall, knowing he had no chance. Watse of time and money. 

I have to disagree about the recruiting.

Miles as a Sophomore averaged 14 per game and shot 37% from 3 point range. Pretty good recruit! He is just having to play out of position. He is not a PG.
Harper has shown when healthy that he has talent.

Now what I am not sold on is the actuall coaching!

Not every recruit out of HS is going to be a stud Freshman or even Sophomore. The key is to not have to rely on those young guys so much as Freshman and Sophs and in order to do that you have to have more Jrs. and Srs (4 year guys). This club is moving away from the JUCO two and out recruits and into the four year recruits. It takes some time.

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="773583" timestamp="1268106271"]
After Keena didnt go to memphis he would have been right there with Boutte... Clearence Matthews, Trey McDowell, K. Hancock, etc. would have played for Boutte over playing in other small D1 schools... Last I checked no one has been offered by Duke around here!!! A smart recruiter would not try to compete with those schools... There are plenty of second teir students with great game!
[/quote]

Oh hell, we've gotten so pathetic we want high school coaches now???!!!  Good lord.

[quote name="sleepy" post="773691" timestamp="1268141179"]
It won't be a big name coach.  Just not happening.
[/quote]

Well that is about the dumbest commment I've heard.  No chit.  Dang, I thought we'd get Coach K to come here from Duke...or maybe Pitino is ready to leave Louisville?  Or maybe we could hire Calipari away from Kentucky?  Give me a break.  There are only about 3 - 5 coaching positions in the country that aren't stepping stones to get to a 'better' job.  Was Tubbs a big name when we hired him years ago?  Was Pat Foster?  Hell, all the supposed big names we've hired have been big name assistants and they've pretty much sucked across the board.  So maybe that lend a little credence to hiring a good high school coach.  However, I personally would NEVER do that.  IF we were to make a change then you would look at head coaches at the college level at less attractive jobs than ours.  Do you honestly think LU has the least attractive college coaching position in the country?  Not hardly!!!  We've got a fantastic facility, decent fan support, and a community absolutely starving for something successful.  I truly would love to see Roc get the job done.  But, if he can't he can't.

Question, why is Marlin at SHSU?  Why is Kaspar at SFA?

What about Tim Floyd?  He wanted to come here at one time. I think we hired Gioweenie instead?  And the coach that was at Baylor and then New Mexico or New Mexico State?  I can't recall his name but he wanted to come here (of course he's probably 70 now).  Both of them have since been in trouble with the NCAA but who hasn't.  The only way you stay out of trouble with the NCAA is if you are the NCAA like North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Texas, etc. 

Of course, now we've sucked so bad for so long we may have to hire an elementary PE coach.

The ignorance?  The talk about a high school coach (yes, he's good) and big-time players staying here, speculation on coaches like Gillespie coming to Beaumont, who should and should not be recruited, how to coach these guys on the floor, the players would be glad to see the coach leave, 50% of the fan base wants the coach gone......need I go on?  That's the kind of ignorance I'm writing about on this board.....and it did not come from me.

There is talent on this team, and it's developing.  It would have been hard for any coach to deal with the injuries this season (Nabors, Hall (never played), Charlie Harper, and Miles.  With recruits coming in, this team makes the tournament at least as a mid-level seed.

[quote name="LemonGello" post="775130" timestamp="1268321900"]
The ignorance?  The talk about a high school coach (yes, he's good) and big-time players staying here, speculation on coaches like Gillespie coming to Beaumont, who should and should not be recruited, how to coach these guys on the floor, the players would be glad to see the coach leave, 50% of the fan base wants the coach gone......need I go on?  That's the kind of ignorance I'm writing about on this board.....and it did not come from me.

There is talent on this team, and it's developing.  It would have been hard for any coach to deal with the injuries this season (Nabors, Hall (never played), Charlie Harper, and Miles.  With recruits coming in, this team makes the tournament at least as a mid-level seed.
[/quote]

You are lost... Ignorant.. And misguided!

[quote name="westendfirst" post="775111" timestamp="1268320551"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=67027.msg773691#msg773691 date=1268141179]
It won't be a big name coach.  Just not happening.
[/quote]

Well that is about the dumbest commment I've heard.  No chit.  Dang, I thought we'd get Coach K to come here from Duke...or maybe Pitino is ready to leave Louisville?  Or maybe we could hire Calipari away from Kentucky?  Give me a break.  There are only about 3 - 5 coaching positions in the country that aren't stepping stones to get to a 'better' job.  Was Tubbs a big name when we hired him years ago?  Was Pat Foster?  heck, all the supposed big names we've hired have been big name assistants and they've pretty much sucked across the board.  So maybe that lend a little credence to hiring a good high school coach.  However, I personally would NEVER do that.  IF we were to make a change then you would look at head coaches at the college level at less attractive jobs than ours.  Do you honestly think LU has the least attractive college coaching position in the country?  Not hardly!!!  We've got a fantastic facility, decent fan support, and a community absolutely starving for something successful.  I truly would love to see Roc get the job done.  But, if he can't he can't.

Question, why is Marlin at SHSU?  Why is Kaspar at SFA?

What about Tim Floyd?  He wanted to come here at one time. I think we hired Gioweenie instead?  And the coach that was at Baylor and then New Mexico or New Mexico State?  I can't recall his name but he wanted to come here (of course he's probably 70 now).  Both of them have since been in trouble with the NCAA but who hasn't.  The only way you stay out of trouble with the NCAA is if you are the NCAA like North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Texas, etc. 

Of course, now we've sucked so bad for so long we may have to hire an elementary PE coach.
[/quote]

Not sure why you are jumping me pal but I just answered someone telling them we were not getting a big name coach when they implied that we could.  I agree 100% on your post and a guy like that I believe we should go after is Quinn Snyder.

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="775141" timestamp="1268322824"]
Its blogging... It's here for opinions, objectiveness, wishful thinking, debating, and conversation... The ignorant thing is you on here acting like mere conversation and debating is ignorant!
[/quote]

Well said short.

Blogging, conversation, speculation...I'm all good with that.  Ignorance means "not knowing".  When I read it and want to call it out, I will.  I find all of this amusing and that's why I read it.  It's frustrating to read some things that I KNOW are wrong, especially when I know the parties being criticized and have some knowledge.  Carry on with your opinions, gentlemen.  I know that I will as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami