KTZ/NW

Guest ANGRYANGEL

Guest ANGRYANGEL
Bulldogs primed for tough battle against Kountze
Related Photos

Regional tournament spot on the line in rematch of last year’s quarterfinal matchup
By Gene Schallenberg
Staff Reporter

HUNTSVILLE — Usually when two of the top teams in the state tangle in the playoffs, it’s at the Erwin Center in Austin at the state tournament.

But that’s not the case in this instance.

Top-ranked New Waverly will face fourth-ranked Kountze in a Region III quarterfinal playoff game today at Livingston Junior High at 7 p.m.

If last year’s game is any indication for what is in store, the Bulldogs are going to have to play sharp.

“I wish this game was in Austin,” New Waverly head coach Bill Goffney said Saturday. “That’s how the chips fall. We would’ve had to play them sooner or later. You might as well get the tough one out of the way so you can focus on the next guy.

“It’s the same scenario as last year. We had to go through them to get to Austin. We feel pretty confident about it.”

In last year’s regional quarterfinal between the two teams, the game went back and forth and wasn’t decided until the final minute.

New Waverly held on for a 66-61 victory and ended up winning the Region III title, advancing to the state tournament and the Class 2A state championship game.

“We expect (tonight’s game) to have the same kind of intensity as last year,” Goffney said. “They’re basically the same club as last year. They’re equally tough, very athletic and you definitely know where those guys are on the floor at all times.”

Goffney saw Kountze in action last Saturday as the Lions throttled Buffalo 103-40 in an area-round playoff game.

“They’re going to press you,” the coach said. “They’re going to run and shoot the 3 and get it to the big man (6-3 center Devin Bray) inside. It’s not difficult, you just have to defend it well.

“They’re an excellent ballclub and one that we have to beat to validate ourselves as a legitimate contender. I feel they’re one of the top teams in 2A.”

New Waverly and Kountze have played many of the same teams this season.

Hardin-Jefferson is one example. The Bulldogs defeated Hardin-Jefferson 54-46 at the East Chambers tournament in December. The Lions, though, lost to Hardin-Jefferson twice.

On the other hand, Kountze beat Silsbee 94-89 at the beginning of the season, but the Dogs lost to Silsbee 51-44.

The Bulldogs and the Lions have common opponents in Orangefield, Jasper, East Chambers and Buffalo and both have dominant victories over each of those teams.

“We’ve played a lot of the same people,” Goffney said. “Teams that we beat, beat them and teams that we lost to, they beat. We feel like we’re in the same ballpark.”

The Dogs and the Lions are also very familiar with one another and share some recent history. Dating back to the 2007-08 season, New Waverly has played Kountze four times, winning on each occasion.

“We’ve played each other four times the past two years,” Goffney said. “We’re familiar with them, they’re familiar with us. All that’s left is to settle it on the court.

“Whoever’s coming, they better get there early.”

Guest baseball25
I  mean how can he say its like the same team from last yr when they beat kountze by 6, Kountze didn't have brey last yr,there know where near the team they were last yr, Kountze is way better this yr.

[quote name="ANGRYANGEL" post="768575" timestamp="1267456815"]
Bulldogs primed for tough battle against Kountze
Related Photos

Regional tournament spot on the line in rematch of last year’s quarterfinal matchup
By Gene Schallenberg
Staff Reporter

HUNTSVILLE — Usually when two of the top teams in the state tangle in the playoffs, it’s at the Erwin Center in Austin at the state tournament.

But that’s not the case in this instance.

Top-ranked New Waverly will face fourth-ranked Kountze in a Region III quarterfinal playoff game today at Livingston Junior High at 7 p.m.  If last year’s game is any indication for what is in store, the Bulldogs are going to have to play sharp. “I wish this game was in Austin,” New Waverly head coach Bill Goffney said Saturday. “That’s how the chips fall. We would’ve had to play them sooner or later. You might as well get the tough one out of the way so you can focus on the next guy. “It’s the same scenario as last year. We had to go through them to get to Austin. We feel pretty confident about it.” In last year’s regional quarterfinal between the two teams, the game went back and forth and wasn’t decided until the final minute.  New Waverly held on for a 66-61 victory and ended up winning the Region III title, advancing to the state tournament and the Class 2A state championship game. “We expect (tonight’s game) to have the same kind of intensity as last year,” Goffney said. [size=16pt][b]"They’re basically the same club as last year."[/b] [/size] They’re equally tough, very athletic and you definitely know where those guys are on the floor at all times.” Goffney saw Kountze in action last Saturday as the Lions throttled Buffalo 103-40 in an area-round playoff game. “They’re going to press you,” the coach said. “They’re going to run and shoot the 3 and get it to the big man (6-3 center Devin Bray) inside. It’s not difficult, you just have to defend it well.  “They’re an excellent ballclub and one that we have to beat to validate ourselves as a legitimate contender. I feel they’re one of the top teams in 2A.”

New Waverly and Kountze have played many of the same teams this season. Hardin-Jefferson is one example. The Bulldogs defeated Hardin-Jefferson 54-46 at the East Chambers tournament in December. The Lions, though, lost to Hardin-Jefferson twice. On the other hand, Kountze beat Silsbee 94-89 at the beginning of the season, but the Dogs lost to Silsbee 51-44. The Bulldogs and the Lions have common opponents in Orangefield, Jasper, East Chambers and Buffalo and both have dominant victories over each of those teams. “We’ve played a lot of the same people,” Goffney said. “Teams that we beat, beat them and teams that we lost to, they beat. We feel like we’re in the same ballpark.” The Dogs and the Lions are also very familiar with one another and share some recent history. Dating back to the 2007-08 season, New Waverly has played Kountze four times, winning on each occasion. “We’ve played each other four times the past two years,” Goffney said. “We’re familiar with them, they’re familiar with us. All that’s left is to settle it on the court.

“Whoever’s coming, they better get there early.”
[/quote]

This is where you're wrong at Coach....;) Last year we were 22-11 coming into this game and without the services of Devin Bray.

[quote name="baseball25" post="768692" timestamp="1267468186"]
top dawg your crazy they lost 11 games last yr lol, kountze way better this yr.
[/quote]  I didn't say last years team was better but more. This year we got 6 players that can
Go at anytime. Bray Walker McDaniel Tealer Johnson and Whisenant. now that is a great 6 better than last year but take this and tell me which team was more deeper.
Walker ,D-Smith T-Smith J Turner, Whisenant, Johnson ,Tealer ,Williams ,McDaniel and McKnight.  all these kids played well throughout the season and Each one had
their breakout games thru district. Kountze is 20 pts better than last years club but don't argue about depth because their it is.

Guest ktzlionsfan
[color=red]"Basically the same team as last year"? :D ;D  That's funny!!! If that's the case then NW is "basically the same team as last year." Only difference is that Kountze won't be losing this one, least of all by 5 points.[/color]

Guest ktzlionsfan
[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="768776" timestamp="1267474587"]
[font=Courier]You guys are more confident than Silsbee  :D[/font]
[/quote]

[color=red]We have to be. I promise you, Kountze wants to [b]WIN[/b] that coveted State Championship this year.... I just feel those boys really deserve it.[/color]

[quote name="sigtau200ws" post="768850" timestamp="1267481353"]
I'm up in Arlington/DFW area.  any idea how I can listen to the game?  anyone know if it'll be streamed online or anything?
[/quote]

Check the top of the board. The game will be be broadcasted/viewable live here on the site.

It's title Live Broadcast: New Waverly vs. Kountze

[quote name="bullets13" post="768872" timestamp="1267483322"]
i think Kountze comes out and shocks them early, and they never recover.  Kountze by 12, 74-62.
[/quote]

I hope you're right bud....I hope you're right 8)

T minus 2 hours til the showdown!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont