40 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins??

• Barbers Hill Wins
    • New Caney Wins

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BH defense will do what they do and thats stop the opposing offense. I wish all the doubters would just come watch 1 BH game and see this defensive unit. until a team comes along that can move the ball on BH convincingly, I'm not backing off my statement that this is the best Def in the area (4A). All those box scores like the Bellvile, FB, and Jasper games, chunk the total yards out the window. yardage is yardage but its definitly not reflective of what actually went down during the games. Crosby put up 50 vs. Smiley and a 0 vs. BH. That says a little bit dont you think. This is a greedy bunch of kids when it come to giving up yardage, much less points. Yes offense still needs improvment, but hey! the do enought to win. I agree that BH needs to chunk the ball more to open the running game up. Its a good feeling that if the Off. struggles we can rely on the Def. to make a stand until next possesion. And as for the Center situation and bad snaps... If you didnt know, the center for the Crosby game was the 4th different center in 5 games due to injuries, and I'm not REAL sure he ever played there before. Good news is that Taylor, the starter, MAY be back this week. BH - 27 New Caney - 7 (maybe a late TD)

Glad i aint the only one haveing to work nights. Nice to see you DAD. I had heard the center last Friday wasn't the regular center do to injury. But hey who was the kid on the sideline that was practicing on snapping but didn't ever get a chance to get in the game at center.

The truth of the matter is BH has always been doubted by people that have never played us. But the ones that have played us know the truth.

Unfortunatly, I was at work last friday night so I missed that game. Noway I could get off..... I was buring the cell phone up talking to someone at the game haha. I'll be there for NC though. I'm not sure who that may have been other than Chad Taylor. But I dont know if he suited up. Just not sure.

The BH defense is hot. Every week they get stronger' date=' faster and meaner. BH EAGLES all the way.[/quote']

You aint kidding!! This years Defense is not only good, but MEAN!!I have never seen a harder hitting D at BH!!!

I do have to ask though why you never hear their head coach mention any of the players on defense as contributing factors of them being 5-0. There's only 3 players he consistently mentions. I wonder if that has anything to do with the line being drawn between the defense and offense this year. Or maybe he's just trying to promote those 3. Well from what I've heard and seen, the defense is getting plenty of looks and praise all on their own.

I do have to ask though why you never hear their head coach mention any of the players on defense as contributing factors of them being 5-0. There's only 3 players he consistently mentions. I wonder if that has anything to do with the line being drawn between the defense and offense this year. Or maybe he's just trying to promote those 3. Well from what I've heard and seen' date=' the defense is getting plenty of looks and praise all on their own.[/quote']

Are you baiting me into giving my opinion on the coach?? :lol:

I'll take the 5th 8)

I love to talk about this defensive unit. May be the most balanced unit I've ever seen. Cox and Swart, in my opinion, are the dominating factors. Noone can handle Swart inside this year. He at this point, as I've said before, is the def. MVP to this point. He may not get the notoriety of some others, but just watch him. He's in the top 3 in tackles and draws double teams alot. Opponents have to pay alot of attention to him and Cox. And speed! this D unit has speed that noone believes until they see it. Patton, Fisher, Little, and a coupe of others have 4.5 speed. I find that alot of other posters dont believe that...... just come watch. As for the HC promoting certain players.... I dont like going there, BUT, i guess I will. There is (as in many programs) politics and favoritism in the BH program. And we all know its not a huge headline secret that I say that so dont dive on me in future posts. haha. Well, I leave it at that. All I know is they are gettin' it done and look very good doing it. GO EAGLES!!! BH 31 - NC 7

I love to talk about this defensive unit. May be the most balanced unit I've ever seen. Cox and Swart' date=' in my opinion, are the dominating factors. Noone can handle Swart inside this year. He at this point, as I've said before, is the def. MVP to this point. He may not get the notoriety of some others, but just watch him. He's in the top 3 in tackles and draws double teams alot. Opponents have to pay alot of attention to him and Cox. And speed! this D unit has speed that noone believes until they see it. Patton, Fisher, Little, and a coupe of others have 4.5 speed. I find that alot of other posters dont believe that...... just come watch. As for the HC promoting certain players.... I dont like going there, BUT, i guess I will. There is (as in many programs) politics and favoritism in the BH program. And we all know its not a huge headline secret that I say that so dont dive on me in future posts. haha. Well, I leave it at that. All I know is they are gettin' it done and look very good doing it. GO EAGLES!!! BH 31 - NC 7[/quote']

Got to agree with the defensive players. I have been watching Cox very close and (hate to call a 9 foot :D defensive end a kid) that kid is always on the ball. There are so many good players I hate to not mention them all, but the whole unit is really good.

Offensively we have the players to move the ball down field. We are going to have to build some momentum before Galena Park, so let's hope your score prediction is correct. I would feel much more confident if we were putting up 30+ in each game before then. I know they are capable of it, just have not seen the desire to agressively move the ball yet. Seems more of a clock control thing at this point.

Football: Barbers Hill hopes to keep it rolling vs. New Caney

Move up to Class 4A agrees with Barbers Hill

By TODD HVEEM

Chronicle Correspondent

At the beginning of the 2006 football season, the Barbers Hill Eagles were picked to finish no better than third in the District 21-4A standings, and with good reason.

Barbers Hill, despite all of its success at the Class 3A level, was making the jump to 4A football for the first time in school history. It would be asking a bit much for the Eagles to win a district title right off the bat. Or would it?

"I would have to say Barbers Hill is the team to beat right now," said Galena Park head football coach Ray Zepeda. "I think on any given night, anybody can still beat anybody (in this district). But I would have to say Barbers Hill is the favorite."

New Caney head coach Jim Taylor agrees.

"Barbers Hill has such great tradition and is so talented," Taylor said in a recent interview. "They have to be at least one of the favorites going in."

Barbers Hill head coach Don Price doesn't want to hear such nonsense.

"It is nice to hear those kind of comments," Price said. "But we have only played one district game. We will know more about us (in weeks to come)."

Price's quote came right before the Eagles ran their record to 5-0 overall and 2-0 in District 21-4A play with a 10-0 victory over Crosby.

Barbers Hill will try and remain undefeated when it hosts surprising New Caney at 7 p.m. Friday. The Eagles, who dropped non-district games to Lumberton, Livingston and Huntsville, also enter the game 2-0 in league play after last week's 14-11 victory over Smiley.

"New Caney is playing well," Price said, "but I am not surprised by that. I thought C.E. King, Crosby, New Caney and Galena Park all had a chance to be very good football teams."

New Caney opened district play with a 49-28 win over Huffman — a game the Eagles once trailed 21-0.

"That was a big win for them, but I don't know if there are any surprises in this district," Price said. "You have to come ready to play every Friday night or you are going to get beat."

Barbers Hill has outscored its first five opponents 128-39 in rolling to a perfect 5-0 start. The Eagles knocked off Wharton, Jasper and Bellville in non-district play before opening conference action with a 35-13 win over Forest Brook.

The key to the Eagles' offensive attack has been the play of quarterback Blake Patton and running back Todd Patton. Blake Patton hit Mason Fisher with a 64-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter of last week's win over Crosby.

"I am really pleased with Blake," Price said. "He has moved to quarterback and done an excellent job. He has done great for a guy who never played it until this year.

"We haved improved a little bit every week. We have to protect the football and not give up any big plays. We have to play that way to win. We have to play smart football and be error-free."

New Caney is paced by quarterback Phillip Welch, who has accounted for more than 650 yards in the first five games. Also, C.J. Dunlap has rushed for 135 yards and three scores in the win over Huffman.

"This is a big test for us," Price said. "We are going to have to play real well to win it.

"We have played at least one 4A team in non-district every year I have been the head coach. I think that has helped us with the transition, but it is really too early to tell. We still have a lot of football left to be played."

OK, I'm probably the only one on this board from New Caney, but just let me say this - NO ONE FROM NEW CANEY HAS ANY DOUBT ABOUT HOW GOOD BH IS -. Our boys have watched the films and know that BH has one of the best defenses in the district and incredible speed on both sides of the ball. They know that the Patton brothers and Fisher are very elusive and fast open field runners that must be wrappped up to be brought down. Everyone is predicting a big blow out but I think it will be much closer than that and should be a good game. I'll be be there and look forward to meeting some of you. Good luck to everyone.

OK' date=' I'm probably the only one on this board from New Caney, but just let me say this - NO ONE FROM NEW CANEY HAS ANY DOUBT ABOUT HOW GOOD BH IS -. Our boys have watched the films and know that BH has one of the best defenses in the district and incredible speed on both sides of the ball. They know that the Patton brothers and Fisher are very elusive and fast open field runners that must be wrappped up to be brought down. Everyone is predicting a big blow out but I think it will be much closer than that and should be a good game. I'll be be there and look forward to meeting some of you. Good luck to everyone.[/quote']

No blow out predictions from me. New Caney should be a very worthy apponent for the Eagles. BH IMHO will not blow many teams out with the offensive production that we have. On defense however I thin BH can hold, stop or limit most offensive programs in this area.

Had to post this Pick from the BH sports Report of the fan base at the Crosby game!!! BH Crowds are really starting to come toghether exspecially this year. Kudos to the Moms that have put together the cheer section yall are making some noise!!!!

CrowdatCrosby.jpg

Barbers Hill

It is easy to look at New Caney’s 2-3 record and feel confident about the Eagle football team’s chances this week. But a closer look at the New Caney and one gets the sense that they could just as easily be undefeated as the Hill. New Caney comes into the district contest at Barbers Hill with a 2-0 record in district play. In non-district they lost their games with Livingston, Huntsville and Lumberton by less than one touchdown.

“The thing about them is just like Crosby, all of their losses are close,†BH head coach Don Price said. “They are scary in the fact that they could be 5-0. It’s going to be a real test.â€

New Caney boasts one of the premier quarterbacks in District 21-4A in Philip Welch. Welch is a threat to either pass or run. Other playmakers in the New Caney arsenal are running back CJ Dunlap and wide receiver Matthew Powell.

Barbers Hill is coming off of an outstanding defensive effort posting a shutout in their 10-0 win over Crosby last week. While the offense struggled, the defense held Crosby out of the end zone and only allowed the Cougars to cross the midfield stripe three times.

“We knew coming into the season that defense would be the strength of our team,†Price said. “The kids in the secondary have done a good job of stepping up.

“We are the type of team that can’t make mistakes. The thing we did last week was that we didn’t turn the ball over and we kicked the ball well.â€

Had to post this Pick from the BH sports Report of the fan base at the Crosby game!!! BH Crowds are really starting to come toghether exspecially this year. Kudos to the Moms that have put together the cheer section yall are making some noise!!!!

CrowdatCrosby.jpg

looks like the old WB crowds from the Chip Ambres era.....

Yea, What was up with that hamburger pic? :D I don't remember the one I got last year looking like that. :lol: Congrats to to the Crazy Mommas because they are getting fans pumped up. BH has always (at least since 99) came out in big numbers but then would set nice and quite like they were at the movies. Thanks to the Crazy Mommas that is going away. :lol:

I love to talk about this defensive unit. May be the most balanced unit I've ever seen. Cox and Swart' date=' in my opinion, are the dominating factors. Noone can handle Swart inside this year. He at this point, as I've said before, is the def. MVP to this point. He may not get the notoriety of some others, but just watch him. He's in the top 3 in tackles and draws double teams alot. Opponents have to pay alot of attention to him and Cox. And speed! this D unit has speed that noone believes until they see it. Patton, Fisher, Little, and a coupe of others have 4.5 speed. I find that alot of other posters dont believe that...... just come watch. As for the HC promoting certain players.... I dont like going there, BUT, i guess I will. There is (as in many programs) politics and favoritism in the BH program. And we all know its not a huge headline secret that I say that so dont dive on me in future posts. haha. Well, I leave it at that. All I know is they are gettin' it done and look very good doing it. GO EAGLES!!! BH 31 - NC 7[/quote']

Oh, let's go there. This is a quote out of the Baytown Sun today.

“We knew coming into the season that defense would be the strength of our team,†Price said. “The kids in the secondary have done a good job of stepping up.

So, we can't mention any names of the defensive players unless of course it's the favorites. And what secondary are we referring to? The ones that get told they are starters, but don't play much or the favorites again? More BH politics, right??

Seems like there is always controversy at Barbers Hill. People grip about everything , so it seems. When I coached the guys who played were the ones who could get the job done. Yes , I was guilty of having my favorites and some seemed to play more than others, but they were the best at their position. I sense some jeolosy here. Have I told a player he would be the starter and then change my mind, yes I have . It goes with the territory of coaching.

Barbers Hill seems to have great support from its fans ( based on the picture shown in this site ). Remember this and I will forever rest my peace on this topic. Most reporters or newspaper writers put what names they want in the paper. Yes, coaches give them names, but most of the names mentioned never make print. Read any article from any game tomorrow night and see how many names of offensive lineman or defensive lineman are mentioned. Newspapers have always wanted the guys who score the touchdowns or rush/ pass for the yards. I wish you guys luck this week. I plan on catching a game at Barbers Hill in the near future. Until that happens I will be watching my Nederland boys and Coach Neumann.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami