21-3A Girls Basketball Team

Gabe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="hjhawks" post="766904" timestamp="1267158504"]
So we can all agree that it is ultimately Gabe's fault for posting the Hon. Mention kids.... Shame on you Gabe for causing all this controversy!!!  hahahaha :D ;D
[/quote]

My bad guys, my bad  :D

[quote name="Gabe" post="767184" timestamp="1267216709"]
[quote author=hjhawks link=topic=66447.msg766904#msg766904 date=1267158504]
So we can all agree that it is ultimately Gabe's fault for posting the Hon. Mention kids.... Shame on you Gabe for causing all this controversy!!!  hahahaha :D ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]At least it got a little action going on the ladies board  ;D But if you want controversy you gotta look at the coach of the year.I said earlier if you didn't give it to Janet from HJ you may as well quit giving it.I stand by that post now,for a coach to take over a program returning only 2 starters and go 10-0 and not get COY would be a joke if it wasn't so ridiculous.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="whsalum" post="768223" timestamp="1267374151"]
[quote author=Gabe link=topic=66447.msg767184#msg767184 date=1267216709]
[quote author=hjhawks link=topic=66447.msg766904#msg766904 date=1267158504]
[/quote]

[/quote]At least it got a little action going on the ladies board  ;D But if you want controversy you gotta look at the coach of the year.I said earlier if you didn't give it to Janet from HJ you may as well quit giving it.I stand by that post now,for a coach to take over a program returning only 2 starters and go 10-0 and not get COY would be a joke if it wasn't so ridiculous.
[/quote]

I agree "whsalum" Janet should have gotten it. The coach from silsbee did an excellent job but Janet was a tad better.

Silsbee had Co Offensive Player of the year along with 2 First Team All District selections. Silsbee was a mostly Senior Class Team and came in 3rd in district. HJ had Co-Offensive Player of year and 1 First Team All District selection and HJ played as many as 4 soph's with no previous varsity experience most of their games and finished 10-0. I would think in any other district this would certainly warrant COY. I really think Coach Davis fell victim to HJ's past tradition of success.

[quote name="Bobcat05" post="768523" timestamp="1267441729"]
Shack, did you not look at the list?  Washington (Silsbee) and Fontenot (HJ) were CO-MVPs of the district, Offensive MVP was Heard from WOS.  :D
[/quote]

Give me a break. I just wrote it wrong. I always know you will be there to correct me.  :D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="768515" timestamp="1267423417"]
I'll take the coaches opinions on this subject. ;)
[/quote]Now that doesn't surprise me considering where the selection is from.I gotta agree with Shack,I think there are a few folks that wouldn't vote for the HJ coach regardless of the record.I didn't get to see the Lady Tigers this year and I've heard nothing but great things about coach Sanders.I saw Washington last year towards the end of the season and she was great.The Tigers were getting better and better evry game toward the end of the season.With the players HJ and O'field lost last year it was a rebuilding year for both those clubs.Silsbee lost 4 district ballgames with a Co Mvp and 2 first teamers while HJ went 10-0 with a young club.We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

If it eases the argument..... here is the boys 20-4A all district..... There are 40 players named....  That is 8 full starting lineups!!!

It makes our team look pretty selective......

MVP: Dionte Forney, Jr - Nederland
Co-Offensive: Hunter Gonzales, Jr - LCM
Co-Offensive: DeCarlos Frank, Sr - Ozen
Defensive: Devion Harris, Sr - Livingston
Newcomer: David Green III, Soph - Ozen
Coach: Brian English, Nederland

1st Team
Christian Harley, Jr. - LC-M   
Kelvin Smith, Jr. - Nederland
Kristian Smith, Soph. - Central
Brennan Doty, Jr. - PN-G
Jacob Williamson, Jr. - Vidor
Spencer DeRon, Sr. - PN-G
Stanley Sullivan, Sr. - Ozen
Chris Cunningham, Jr. - Nederland
Brennen Jackson, Sr. - Central
Kris Koch, Sr. - Lumberton
Jon Trahan, Sr. - Ozen

2nd Team
Cameron Johnson, Sr. - LC-M
Preston Armstrong, Soph. - LC-M
Joe Richards, Soph. - Ozen
Kentrell Johnson, Sr. - Livingston
Justin Miksch, Sr. - Livingston
Joseph Allen, Jr. - Central
Ryan Hadnot, Sr. - Nederland
Danny Riddick, Jr. - Vidor
DeVon Barnes, Soph. - Livingston
Chevoski Collins, Frosh. - Livingston
Josh Romano, Sr. - Lumberton

Hon. Mention
LC-M: Jordan Wells (Soph.), Johnny Epps (Sr.)
Central: Chris Baloney (Sr.), Damon Heard (Jr.), Lawrence Gobert (Sr.)
Ozen: Reginald Bernard (Sr.), Xavier Zenn (Jr.), Jeffery Ieans (Jr.)
Nederland: Dylan Campbell (Sr.), Christian Stewart (Sr.)
PN-G: Christian Kerr (Sr.)
Vidor: Gunner Hanson (Sr.)
Lumberton: Ryan Dunkelberger (Jr.)

That is ABSOLUTELY absurd!  I have held my tongue as long as I can............This has become a joke.  We have become so concerned about making everyone "feel good about themselves" that we are taking away REAL honors from kids that deserve it.  I also believe that some coaches are too concerned about ticking off a parent if their child isn't selected that they try to include everyone so as not to "rock the boat".  Please don't get me wrong, I am all for the kids but, this should be a distinguished honor NOT  a recognition of 3/4 of the kids in the district.  I remember when an MVP was chosen, 5 first team and 5 second team were chosen. That was it!  (OK, I'm old school..what can I say?)  When I, as a coach (who scouts and prepares for all district teams), can not remember a certain player and they receive all district honors.....there is something not quite right about the process.  Maybe we should call it the "Players who participated and contributed in district" team!

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="CoachKfan" post="769930" timestamp="1267629764"]
That is ABSOLUTELY absurd!  I have held my tongue as long as I can............This has become a joke.  We have become so concerned about making everyone "feel good about themselves" that we are taking away REAL honors from kids that deserve it.  I also believe that some coaches are too concerned about ticking off a parent if their child isn't selected that they try to include everyone so as not to "rock the boat".  Please don't get me wrong, I am all for the kids but, this should be a distinguished honor NOT  a recognition of 3/4 of the kids in the district.  I remember when an MVP was chosen, 5 first team and 5 second team were chosen. That was it!  (OK, I'm old school..what can I say?)  When I, as a coach (who scouts and prepares for all district teams), can not remember a certain player and they receive all district honors.....there is something not quite right about the process.  Maybe we should call it the "Players who participated and contributed in district" team!
[/quote]

Great post, I could not agree more.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="bleed orange" post="769950" timestamp="1267632705"]
[quote author=CoachKfan link=topic=66447.msg769930#msg769930 date=1267629764]
[/quote]

Great post, I could not agree more.
[/quote]

I agree also.  Did "Political Correctness" cause the process to get so loosey-goosey?

How do you correct it?

Question is, how did it get this way?

Like Bleed said, back in our day, it was district MVP, maybe an offensive and defensive POW, 5 1st teamers, 5 second teamers, and maybe about 8 honorable mentions. PERIOD!!!

As for correcting it, I really don't know what the best way would be without making all the coaches meet somewhere to hash it out. I am sure all they do know is mail it in.

I think 21-3A did a good job as far as the number of people. Honorable mention, is just that, you got mentioned, but didn't get enough votes to be on a team.

If I had to pick a team this would be mine..

1 - Guilhas (HF)
2 - Smith (HJ)
3 - Washington (Sils)
4 - Fontenot (HJ)
5 - Scales (OF)

That's a complete team, guards and post players.

(The #'s are the postions, not rank)

[quote name="picnroll" post="765613" timestamp="1267039333"]
Be a good idea to just not publish All District teams. Most of the time it is a joke anyway. There are plenty of examples of this to share.

nobody loses anymore. we cant hurt anybodys feelings. I advise when you see the movie Generation Zero at a local theater, go see it and you will know why we are the way we are.you will see where this trophy for everyone mentality comes from.
There are winners and losers folks. Start being real with your kids and prepare them for the world. Look around at the world sometimes it is not too kind.....JMO

Preparation is still the key to success.....
[/quote]

From what I am reading I guess this post wasnt so off the wall after all........................ ;)

OK, granted...some of the district selections are "large".  ;D 

Most of the posters in this section have fairly close ties to their school's program...probably a daughter (or sister) involved at some point now or recently.  You all know that the Head coaches are the only ones involved in the selection process.  If this is TRUELY a monumental issue for you, why not just go to the source (your source) and ask why instead of repeating the same thing over and over?

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Slam14" post="770181" timestamp="1267658280"]

OK, granted...some of the district selections are "large".   ;D  

Most of the posters in this section have fairly close ties to their school's program...probably a daughter (or sister) involved at some point now or recently.  You all know that the Head coaches are the only ones involved in the selection process.  If this is TRUELY a monumental issue for you, why not just go to the source (your source) and ask why instead of repeating the same thing over and over?
[/quote]

Good post slam, I do not get upset when an Orangefield girl does not get recognition. I may not agree but not upset. Making these pics are hard but it is not that hard when you give everyone an award. I will go to the source and speak my mind. 3A was not as bad as 4A. It is still too much. The district picks are becoming a joke.
Hey Bobcat05 this is for you, blah, blah blah and blah. ;D ;D ;D AAW is right the coaches need to get back to the "OLD SCHOOL" way of doing things. I am afraid to look at the 21 3A picks for the boys. Hey coaches, I know you guys get on this website. Please get together and come up with a solution. Quit trying to make all the parents happy. Who cares about the goofy freakin parents? Some parents think their kid is better than they are. "News flash" parents, take off those rose colored glasses and maybe you can see. The parents are the problem not the kids.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Gabe" post="770060" timestamp="1267645146"]
So how do you correct it?
[/quote]

Grow some freakin balls. ;D ;D ;D Talking about the coaches by the way. Give your MVP's one for each not "CO", 5 first teamers, 5 second teamers and 5 honorable mentions. Go ahead and smite me. I am used to it ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Slam14" post="770181" timestamp="1267658280"]

OK, granted...some of the district selections are "large".   ;D   

Most of the posters in this section have fairly close ties to their school's program...probably a daughter (or sister) involved at some point now or recently.  You all know that the Head coaches are the only ones involved in the selection process.  If this is TRUELY a monumental issue for you, why not just go to the source (your source) and ask why instead of repeating the same thing over and over?
[/quote]I don't have any ties to any of these players.I just felt sorry for both the girls that didn't make it  :( :( You gotta admit though it livened up a board that had been way to quiet.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="whsalum" post="770271" timestamp="1267668966"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=66447.msg770181#msg770181 date=1267658280]

OK, granted...some of the district selections are "large".   ;D  

Most of the posters in this section have fairly close ties to their school's program...probably a daughter (or sister) involved at some point now or recently.  You all know that the Head coaches are the only ones involved in the selection process.  If this is TRUELY a monumental issue for you, why not just go to the source (your source) and ask why instead of repeating the same thing over and over?
[/quote]I don't have any ties to any of these players.I just felt sorry for both the girls that didn't make it  :( :( You gotta admit though it livened up a board that had been way to quiet.
[/quote]

I did too. 2 more players and it would have been complete. I mean why not give every kid a ribbon. I am about to puke.  ;D ;D ;D  Yes, it did make the board more interesting. My opinion will not change on this subject. If the same thing is done every year. You will hear from "bleed orange" even though I am "old" as Bobcat05 would say. ;D ;D ;D

My take is this...... make an all star team up from District Players (8-10 girls)....  Any MVP's, POY honors come from this list...  8-10 girls total...

With that said... to be elgible for Academic All region, and other awards, etc, you have to be on 1st or second team... that is one of the reason why these lists keep getting bigger each year

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami