*SILSBEE @ HJ BROADCAST THREAD*/Audio & Video/HJ WINS!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="PrettyBoi10" post="760846" timestamp="1266377751"]
You can't play at a full speed when the ref's dictate the game it's sad that it's always the HJ An Silsbee game the want to make there present felt ppl pay to see a game not ref's
[/quote]With 1 minute to go, they are finally getting to see a game!  HJ up by 3 with 25 seconds left!!!

[quote name="lilt1706" post="760907" timestamp="1266380520"]
[quote author=HJ2012 link=topic=66123.msg760865#msg760865 date=1266378271]
Even as an hj supporter I can think of many instances where there were calls made in favor of both teams.
[/quote]

Why is there allways ref. problems in HJ
[/quote]

Isnt there always ref problems when someone loses a close game?  The hawks did a good job staying in position, looking for a charge when silsbee penetrated.... this caused silsbee to miss ALOT of layups as they were having to alter shots to avoid picking up a charging foul...

[quote name="hjhawks" post="760917" timestamp="1266381293"]
[quote author=lilt1706 link=topic=66123.msg760907#msg760907 date=1266380520]
[quote author=HJ2012 link=topic=66123.msg760865#msg760865 date=1266378271]
Even as an hj supporter I can think of many instances where there were calls made in favor of both teams.
[/quote]

Why is there allways ref. problems in HJ
[/quote]

Isnt there always ref problems when someone loses a close game?  The hawks did a good job staying in position, looking for a charge when silsbee penetrated.... this caused silsbee to miss ALOT of layups as they were having to alter shots to avoid picking up a charging foul...
[/quote]

It wasn't all ways a close game and I noticed that early in the video

what a great win for the hawks!!!  i was at the game, and i can say the officiating was awful, both ways.  for instance, jacoby drove strong the first three hawks possessions, and was clearly fouled each time... 0 calls.  within the next three or four minutes, the hawks got away with three equally bad fouls.  there were at least four out of bounds calls that were clearly missed, two going each way.  ricossa fouled out tonight, but probably only committed three fouls, maybe only two.  one of those was a "block" in which he held his position for about an hour and a half, a silsbee play penetrated and bumped him on his way by.  as for charges and blocks, i think it's possible that 8 of 10 of those calls was wrong, going both ways.  players with perfect defensive position were called for blocks, and players with their bodies turned and sliding under driving players drew charges.  it seemed like they also were working pretty hard to make sure that the foul count was fairly even.  both halves HJ made it to the bonus quickly, but then were called for a bunch of ticky tack fouls to even things out.  all in all, a very, very poor showing by the officials, but i don't feel it decided the game.  now that that's out of the way, onto the actual play:

I am a Hawk fan, but i think it's fair to say that they deserved this one tonight.  here's why.

Gus came up huge tonight!  i never would've dreamed that HJ's short point guard would've been singularly responsible for putting 3 or 4 Silsbee players into foul trouble, but he attacked the rim all night, and did a great job of drawing contact.

Turner was almost completely shut down when it came to attacking the basket, so what did he do?  Drained five threes, including a huge shot at the halftime buzzer.  not bad for someone who "can't shoot".

HJ shot free throws poorly in the first half, but did a great job of converting from the line in the 2nd half.  this was what won them the game.

Ricossa was shut down the last time HJ and Silsbee met, and was shut down again for the first 3 quarters tonight, although he was saddled with 4 fouls early in the 3rd, most of which were questionable.  in the 4th quarter he stepped up huge, scoring 5 quick points and having 3 key blocks during HJ's run to start the quarter.

HJ did a fantastic job on the boards, especially on defense.  Silsbee's advantage in height was neutralized by HJ's ability to block out.  In the first meeting, Silsbee scored probably half of their points on offensive putbacks.  Tonight, they had very few opportunities to score off of offensive rebounds.

All of that being said, i still think Silsbee has a great shot to win state.  They didn't play their best tonight, and HJ played very well, and it still went down to the wire.  It's going to take a very well coached team with a couple of players who come up huge to beat them.  Good luck to both of these teams in the playoffs, and hopefully we can meet again in a few weeks!

[quote name="bullets13" post="760945" timestamp="1266383274"]
i'm glad to see that pretty much everyone who watched the game was able to see that the officiating was bad both ways, and is not trying to blame them for HJ winning.
[/quote]

it comes back to the question why is it always a ref. problem at hj

[quote name="lilt1706" post="760951" timestamp="1266383612"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=66123.msg760945#msg760945 date=1266383274]
i'm glad to see that pretty much everyone who watched the game was able to see that the officiating was bad both ways, and is not trying to blame them for HJ winning.
[/quote]

it comes back to the question why is it always a ref. problem at hj
[/quote]

this was the 5th game i've been to at HJ this season, and it was the only one i had a problem with.  usually, people gripe because HJ gets "home cooking", which is actually code for their team not being able to handle HJ's physical press.  tonight was an entirely different issue, as it was quite possibly the most poorly officiated game i've ever seen outside of a little dribblers primary game, and it was equally bad both ways.

Yes the officials were bad. Bad calls for both teams. There were some bad calls at bad times for the Tigers but I am sure there were some of the same for the Hawks. What beat the tigers tonight was an off night and a tremendous effort by the Hawks.  Like I said earlier the threes killed us.  That is one thing that I am afraid may hurt the Tigers in the playoffs,  we don't have a consistent outside threat.  We have some players who can get hot but haven't seen anyone we can really depend on. Congratulations Hawks on a well deserved win!  Congratulations Tigers on the outright district title! Now lets get the next step: a regional title.

I predicted a HJ win by 3, but they would have to make their freethrows and take care of the ball. Well, the first half they missed 10 freethrows and the 4th quarter they didn't take very good care of the ball. Still, all in all, they rebounded alot better than the first game and shot their freethrows better in the second half that carried them to the win. As for the Refs-it almost seemed like they wanted to make controversal calls. I guess to make sure everyone knew they were there. Well, it worked..Coaches, fans and players held their breathe everytime a whistle was blown not knowing what they were going to call next. Heck, if you were on the bench you weren't exempt from having a foul called on you..

I wish we could shoot free throws as well as Silsbee!

I've made the claim-- and still believe-- Gus, Jacoby, and Phillip are the best at their positions in 21-3A.  I haven't seen gutsier kids, except for Donahoe.  Gus has been playing through migraines and a flu-like illness; Jacoby's ankles are so repetitively sprained that he just tapes them up and does the best he can; Phillip's playing on two bad knees now.  Watching those three kids smiling and limping around after the game tonight is one of the scenes I'll always remember from HJ basketball.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83