Hamshire Fannett Basketball Program

[quote name="hfresident" post="755556" timestamp="1265386784"]
The problems start at the middle school....coaches tell parents and players "We don't have time to teach basketball."

[/quote]

I am trying to figure this out?  I found this post in the "Youth Basketball Forum":

Just wanted to congratulate the HF 7th graders for coming out on top this season. They finished their season Monday with a 44-16 victory over Bridge City. Not only does this group have some talent, but more importantly this is a group of young men with outstanding character. Let's hope this team can stay together and develop their skills as a team. If this can happen, the sky's the limit. Good job young men.

Hampshire Fannett 7th graders:
Jordan Hunter, Tyler Blackwell, Bryan Sturgess, Kameron Williams, Ky Walker, Andrew Swearingen, Houston Reese, Austin Rodriguez and Chase Barge.
Good job guys!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="757565" timestamp="1265754067"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=65604.msg757562#msg757562 date=1265753339]
As much as I hate to admit it, I think AAW 's comments make sense about changing the environment to make basketball a viable sport in the district. I honestly think the coaches want the program to be successful, but I'll talk with them about it one day.
[/quote]

Plenty of schools where football is king and they don't want success in other sports.  I don't know if HF is like that or not, but many are.
[/quote]You make a good point. Beause the HF middle school is currently getting the kids ready for high school football.

[quote name="xavierbreath" post="757756" timestamp="1265773042"]
[quote author=hfresident link=topic=65604.msg755556#msg755556 date=1265386784]
The problems start at the middle school....coaches tell parents and players "We don't have time to teach basketball."

[/quote]

I am trying to figure this out?  I found this post in the "Youth Basketball Forum":

Just wanted to congratulate the HF 7th graders for coming out on top this season. They finished their season Monday with a 44-16 victory over Bridge City. Not only does this group have some talent, but more importantly this is a group of young men with outstanding character. Let's hope this team can stay together and develop their skills as a team. If this can happen, the sky's the limit. Good job young men.

Hampshire Fannett 7th graders:
Jordan Hunter, Tyler Blackwell, Bryan Sturgess, Kameron Williams, Ky Walker, Andrew Swearingen, Houston Reese, Austin Rodriguez and Chase Barge.
Good job guys!

[/quote]WOW! One of the few HF residents to COME OUT and give some recognition to the players. I applaud you X :o

[quote name="scooby" post="757893" timestamp="1265791343"]
[quote author=Hupernikomen link=topic=65604.msg757558#msg757558 date=1265752608]
  What are you going to cut to allow all coaches to only coach?
[/quote]

football ....... and cosmetology of course
[/quote]

Well in your town cosmetology was cut long ago so that one is out.

I have to wonder if this thread would exist if players at Silbee were in Longhorn uniforms?

Me theory (opinion) is no, (however, you can never say never, because there will always be that parent that wants the coach to play the best 4 players and his/her kid).

I also believe there would be [u][i][b]compliments[/b][/i][/u] about the coach.......(even in Hamshire, believe it or not)

I bring this up because last night I watched Duke v North Carolina and it made me think of this thread.......guess what?  NC has lost 7 ACC games and may not make the post season tournament.  So? you say.......what is the relevance?  Well, Roy Williams is coaching there and he has won more than one National Championship......the announcers kept saying that he (and North Carolina)  will be better next year because they will have "better athletes"........ Imagine that a proven coach of National Championship caliber that cannot win his conference without athletes.........are those announcers insane? I mean if you know how to coach, you should be able to coach any athlete to win a title......I mean Roy is obviously not letting the right players play, and they are not developing any type of rythm..... and lets check that pre conference schedule to see if he knows what he is doing about scheduling...I am sure that is another reason he is not having success during coference play, because of his preconference sheduling of Division II teams..... I know,........... we also need to fire those announcers right now and find some that really know what they are talking about...don't those announcers know enough about the game to know that it is all Coach Williams fault.....North Carolina needs to find a new coach! ;D

[quote name="horndawg" post="758675" timestamp="1265920727"]
I have to wonder if this thread would exist if players at Silbee were in Longhorn uniforms?

Me theory (opinion) is no, (however, you can never say never, because there will always be that parent that wants the coach to play the best 4 players and his/her kid).

I also believe there would be [u][i][b]compliments[/b][/i][/u] about the coach.......(even in Hamshire, believe it or not)

I bring this up because last night I watched Duke v North Carolina and it made me think of this thread.......guess what?  NC has lost 7 ACC games and may not make the post season tournament.  So? you say.......what is the relevance?   Well, Roy Williams is coaching there and he has won more than one National Championship......the announcers kept saying that he (and North Carolina)  will be better next year because they will have "better athletes"........ Imagine that a proven coach of National Championship caliber that cannot win his conference without athletes.........are those announcers insane? I mean if you know how to coach, you should be able to coach any athlete to win a title......I mean Roy is obviously not letting the right players play, and they are not developing any type of rythm..... and lets check that pre conference schedule to see if he knows what he is doing about scheduling...I am sure that is another reason he is not having success during coference play, because of his preconference sheduling of Division II teams..... I know,........... we also need to fire those announcers right now and find some that really know what they are talking about...don't those announcers know enough about the game to know that it is all Coach Williams fault.....North Carolina needs to find a new coach! ;D

[/quote]Kinda shows you how crazy this game is because I've seen not so good coaches win on nothing but talent. Strange game.

What needs to be addressed at HF is why are so many athletes not participating. It's not just a boys basketball program, it's a problem throughout varsity sports at HF. In football, we fielded what was substantially a half JV/Half varsity team in football because a lot of kids opted not to play. Look what happened. The same happened in boys and girls basketball. Both are way under average. There are girls missing from softball that could definitely help. Does this happen at every school? That I don't know, but it seems to be an epidemic here. We need to do something to get our best athletes on the field/court if we ever want to compete at anything.

[quote name="WJBooger" post="758696" timestamp="1265924955"]
What needs to be addressed at HF is why are so many athletes not participating. It's not just a boys basketball program, it's a problem throughout varsity sports at HF. In football, we fielded what was substantially a half JV/Half varsity team in football because a lot of kids opted not to play. Look what happened. The same happened in boys and girls basketball. Both are way under average. There are girls missing from softball that could definitely help. Does this happen at every school? That I don't know, but it seems to be an epidemic here. We need to do something to get our best athletes on the field/court if we ever want to compete at anything.
[/quote]

I haven't seen a drop in HF girls sports. They seem to be very competitive in Basketball and Softball year in and year out. I don't know how long it had been since HF made the playoffs in girls basketball before last year (somone else might know) and they have tied for 3rd in district in softball the last two years...just lost the playin game both times. Are there girls missing that could contribute...probably so. But it seems to me the numbers have went down in basketball since soccer was added. I'm not saying soccer is a bad thing, but at such a small school there is so much going on...the girls can't play every sport. Why some kids aren't playing football, I don't know...you would have to ask them.

[quote name="Rizon" post="758708" timestamp="1265928016"]
[quote author=WJBooger link=topic=65604.msg758696#msg758696 date=1265924955]
[/quote]

I haven't seen a drop in HF girls sports. They seem to be very competitive in Basketball and Softball year in and year out. I don't know how long it had been since [b]HF made the playoffs in girls basketball before last year [/b] (somone else might know) and they have tied for 3rd in district in softball the last two years...just lost the playin game both times. Are there girls missing that could contribute...probably so. But it seems to me the numbers have went down in basketball since soccer was added. I'm not saying soccer is a bad thing, but at such a small school there is so much going on...the girls can't play every sport. Why some kids aren't playing football, I don't know...you would have to ask them.
[/quote]

A long time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder