Wishbone / Flexbone Offense?

Can you option oriented coaches enlighten the rest of us (maybe just me) on this type of offense? Exactly how much passing is done out of this offense? I know Army, Navy and Georgia Tech run this type of offense and run them extremely well but I always thought you had to have lightning quick backs and receivers to run it like a well oiled machine.

Please share your thoughts on how BH might fare with this offense. I really don't know what to expect this coming year. I'm trying to get revved up.

Guest Burkeville Chronicle
We run the wishbone offense at Burkeville and we have for years...it takes a hard nosed QB who is most likely going to take a pounding, one that can read the defense (especially Linebackers extremely well). It is the consumate team offense designed on getting to the corner first and creating matchups.

Just from what I have seen....
It is much easier to stop a run based offense than a spread offense (considering the spread offense has a QB to deliver the ball).
If your defense back field and linebackers are better athletes than the offensive running backs (the quickest guys are on defense) it will be more difficult to move the ball running than passing.

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="753591" timestamp="1265114551"]
It is much easier to stop a run based offense than a spread offense (considering the spread offense has a QB to deliver the ball).
If your defense back field and linebackers are better athletes than the offensive running backs (the quickest guys are on defense) it will be more difficult to move the ball running than passing.
[/quote]
BINGO!

When was the last time you saw a Bone offense win or even play in a State Title game at the higher classifications? Probably Coach Gage and the Farmers 13+ years ago. That's because most of the bigger 4A and up schools have enough athletes on defense to defend it well.

But your point BHBrave about the opossition gamep lanning is a good observation. This in itself is usually good for a couple of wins each year in District. Ask Vidor.

[quote name="badndn" post="753606" timestamp="1265118841"]
[quote author=PURPLE 4EVER link=topic=65516.msg753591#msg753591 date=1265114551]
[/quote]
BINGO!

When was the last time you saw a Bone offense win or even play in a State Title game at the higher classifications? Probably Coach Gage and the Farmers 13+ years ago. That's because most of the bigger 4A and up schools have enough athletes on defense to defend it well.

But your point BHBrave about the opossition gamep lanning is a good observation. This in itself is usually good for a couple of wins each year in District. Ask Vidor.
[/quote]

Waxahatchie made it to the Reg 2 finals against Longview this past year.....

Don't forget the Jags ran it in 2008...started off in the flex bone and evovled into the wish bone.  You do need a QB who's not afraid to hit it up in there but speed is not a must!  We had it but have seen teams run it with less...In fact playing fast teams seems to be the easiest to beat b/c they tend to over run and don't play assignment football...the key to this offense is not the QB or WR...it's the THE FULLBACK!  You must establish the FB, once you suck the Defense in you kill em with the PAP!

Me thinks that Katy which is not a true spread offense (more i-based), is pretty hard to defend.  The spread offense is a gimmick offense when all you have are athletes who cannot do anything else but run in space.  It reminds me of the 3-3 stack defense, which is such a joke.  If it really worked that well, how come successful d-1 colleges are not using it. Probably the same reason that they do not run the true spread offense.

I was told by a guy that the reason Army, Navy, Air Force..., and other such schools run the option is because they have lesser athletes than the schools they compete against. You don't have to block everyone and you always have a double team at the point of attack with the QB blocking the read ( or unblocked guy) with his mind. You can run the offense with lesser athletes that are well disciplined ie.. the military schools.

[quote name="SFA85" post="753633" timestamp="1265120771"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=65516.msg753606#msg753606 date=1265118841]
[quote author=PURPLE 4EVER link=topic=65516.msg753591#msg753591 date=1265114551]
[/quote]
BINGO!

[/quote]

Waxahatchie made it to the Reg 2 finals against Longview this past year.....
[/quote]
Thanks for helping me make my point. Regional Finals. Not State Title game.

[quote name="fbneanderthal" post="753912" timestamp="1265135664"]
Me thinks that Katy which is not a true spread offense (more i-based), is pretty hard to defend.  The spread offense is a gimmick offense when all you have are athletes who cannot do anything else but run in space. [/quote]
Katy runs out of the I. They don't come anywhere near any of the Bones...So what is your point about Katy in this context?

The Bone is also a gimmick offense. It is designed to create confussion. Why is that not gimmicky?

The offense is based on confusion with a principle in mind.  The bone is not a gimmick since there is basic principles it is based upon.  How complex are the principles is the real question?  3-3 stack (the blitz and run thru gaps defense) has few sound principles.  As far as the I goes, and the bone, the spread is based on athletes only.  You have them or you do not.

[quote name="fbneanderthal" post="754007" timestamp="1265142393"]
The offense is based on confusion with a principle in mind.  The bone is not a gimmick since there is basic principles it is based upon.  How complex are the principles is the real question?  3-3 stack (the blitz and run thru gaps defense) has few sound principles.  As far as the I goes, and the bone, [b]the spread is based on athletes only[/b].  You have them or you do not.
[/quote]

Just so no one is confused...

the highlighted phrase is an opinion and not a fact.

If you think you can run the spread without good execution, timing and discipline. You are out of you gourd.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder