The Problem w/ Playing Barbers Hill

SETEXFan

At the Dayton / Barbers Hill game on Friday there were no less than 6 Bay Area officials sitting in the stands on The Hill's side dressed in blue and white, and one of those include a school board member that officiates games in 19-4A.  There has got to be some kind of ethics problem if this is being allowed.  Let me see a school board member for Barbers Hill calling games that can directly influence the outcome and playoff position of teams within the same district as Barbers Hill.  He has the right to officiate, I just believe he should not call any games in 19-4A.

Do not get me wrong I am not saying the officiating cost Dayton the game by any means, (it sure did not help Dayton either), but it was crazy looking across and seeing all of these officials that I have watched call varsity games in Dayton sitting on The Hill's side wearing blue and white.

I can understand your concern and on the surface it might be frustrating to a Dayton, or other 19-4A fan.  I am not an insider to the officials group (how they are scheduled, etc) you reference, but let me give different perspective.  From what I hear, getting folks to become refs is hard enough and having a group of good, experienced ones is even tougher.  I know these men and women and they are not just in it for the extra cash.  The truly want to provide the area with good officiating.  If you become a referee, you are probably a basketball fan...and you probably support your local team, or even have a kid in the program.  If you exclude anyone with any ties to local basketball or local schools...well, good luck with that.  I'm not offering a solution, just the reality.  What I see is some fine BH area residents who have stepped up and took on a job that a lot of people (including me) would NEVER do.  The fact that there are a lot of BH officials is not BH's fault, ....maybe its the fact that other communities are NOT producing folks who will do it.  It ain't perfect but it could be a lot worse. 

[quote name="HillGuy" post="745192" timestamp="1263741540"]
I can understand your concern and on the surface it might be frustrating to a Dayton, or other 19-4A fan.  I am not an insider to the officials group (how they are scheduled, etc) you reference, but let me give different perspective.  From what I hear, getting folks to become refs is hard enough and having a group of good, experienced ones is even tougher.  I know these men and women and they are not just in it for the extra cash.  The truly want to provide the area with good officiating.  If you become a referee, you are probably a basketball fan...and you probably support your local team, or even have a kid in the program.  If you exclude anyone with any ties to local basketball or local schools...well, good luck with that.  I'm not offering a solution, just the reality.  What I see is some fine BH area residents who have stepped up and took on a job that a lot of people (including me) would NEVER do.  The fact that there are a lot of BH officials is not BH's fault, ....maybe its the fact that other communities are NOT producing folks who will do it.  It ain't perfect but it could be a lot worse.   
[/quote]

Nice post.

There is not much thanks given to refs at any level.  For the average parent in the stands...it's hard for them to see the game with their eyes instead of their heart.

There is one referee in the golden triangle that calls many 3A games and has a daughter playing within that 3A district.  I have seen her call 2 of her daughters games.  The first game I saw, I really scutinized her officiating closely and came to the conclusion that she was very fair and didn't seem to favor her daughter or her team.  That would be very hard to do.  There are some good ones out there.................(some)  ;D

I would not allow the referees in that area to officiate a game. The coach always has the option to have U.I.L. officials from other areas officiate the game. If I was Dayton, I would consider calling in officials from another area and have them officiate the game in BH. As far as officiating goes, it is very hard to find officials. That is why you get some officials who have no business out there. Also, the fans are terrible. Officiating is one of the most unappreciated jobs. Fans and coaches heckle officials. I say that any fan of the game should try officiating once and see. I believe they would be shocked.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83