Sabine Shell Reef?

[quote name="ST413" post="773526" timestamp="1268098973"]
[quote author=dugout6 link=topic=64676.msg773082#msg773082 date=1268031058]
The last time we had a fish kill due to cold weather in the Sabine Lake and Pass area it was obvious.  The fish could be seen floating on the surface or struggling near the surface.  Due to the prop wash of the large ships in our area the lethargic or dead fish are pushed up to the surface and are easily seen.  Just as reminder, it is illegal to boat fish that have succumbed to extreme weather conditions.         
[/quote]

Why is this even a law?  First if its already dead who would want it? And if you did you would still have to follow bag limits so it would only limimt what you could catch.
[/quote]

There is no specific law that mentions injured or dead fish floating but the state law says that legal means for the taking of a game fish is with a line and pole. Basically, legal means says that you have to hook the fish in a line and bring him in however snagging and jerking a line with hooks on it is illegal.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know these bayous by name.  Go north from garrison about 4-5 miles and you hit two small bayous, just before the shoreline bends back to the west.  There is some grass in the water.  Get out about 200 yards from the shoreline where the water is about 5 ft, and throw swimming images, yozuris or sand eels with small jig heads.  Hit it when the sun is highest, like 2 to 4

[quote name="westend1" post="777477" timestamp="1268704305"]
I don't know these bayous by name.  Go north from garrison about 4-5 miles and you hit two small bayous, just before the shoreline bends back to the west.   There is some grass in the water.  Get out about 200 yards from the shoreline where the water is about 5 ft, and throw swimming images, yozuris or sand eels with small jig heads.   Hit it when the sun is highest, like 2 to 4
[/quote]

What was the tide doing, in or out? 

[quote name="tvc184" post="777541" timestamp="1268716646"]
I think that is Johnson and Madam Johnson bayous.
[/quote]

I just looked at a map and I think you are right.  The shoreline takes a northerly turn there.  There was a lone tree along the edge of the smaller bayou before the hurricane, but it's gone now.  In fact, the whole place looks different than it used to.

[quote name="westend1" post="777477" timestamp="1268704305"]
I don't know these bayous by name.  Go north from garrison about 4-5 miles and you hit two small bayous, just before the shoreline bends back to the west.   There is some grass in the water.  Get out about 200 yards from the shoreline where the water is about 5 ft, and throw swimming images, yozuris or sand eels with small jig heads.   Hit it when the sun is highest, like 2 to 4
[/quote]

just tell me when... i'll buy the gas, bait and beer :)

[quote name="bullets13000" post="778075" timestamp="1268854048"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=64676.msg777477#msg777477 date=1268704305]
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is supposed to be a pretty strong front coming through saturday.  Low of 39 Sunday.  I'm guessing it's going to shut everything down for at least a week.

[quote name="westend1" post="778080" timestamp="1268855303"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=64676.msg778075#msg778075 date=1268854048]
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is supposed to be a pretty strong front coming through saturday.   Low of 39 Sunday.  I'm guessing it's going to shut everything down for at least a week.
[/quote]

perfect!  i'll be in dallas until next sunday :)

[quote name="bullets13000" post="778085" timestamp="1268855908"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=64676.msg778080#msg778080 date=1268855303]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=64676.msg778075#msg778075 date=1268854048]
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is supposed to be a pretty strong front coming through saturday.   Low of 39 Sunday.  I'm guessing it's going to shut everything down for at least a week.
[/quote]

[/quote]

My son has spring break next week.  Maybe we will get out later in the week and see if the fish are back in the shallows.  if so, maybe we can hook up Sunday afternoon.

[quote name="westend1" post="778093" timestamp="1268856589"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=64676.msg778085#msg778085 date=1268855908]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My son has spring break next week.   Maybe we will get out later in the week and see if the fish are back in the shallows.  if so, maybe we can hook up Sunday afternoon.
[/quote]

Any chance of Buc gettin in on this? lol

[quote name="westend1" post="778093" timestamp="1268856589"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=64676.msg778085#msg778085 date=1268855908]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My son has spring break next week.   Maybe we will get out later in the week and see if the fish are back in the shallows.  if so, maybe we can hook up Sunday afternoon.
[/quote]

i actually have a soccer game that sunday, but maybe we can get a couple of boats out one day and have that left-wing/right-wing tourney we talked about before.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="778116" timestamp="1268859758"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=64676.msg778093#msg778093 date=1268856589]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i actually have a soccer game that sunday, but maybe we can get [b]a couple of boats out [/b] one day and have that left-wing/right-wing tourney we talked about before.
[/quote]

Starting to paint the inside of my house.....should take about 2 weeks......after that....lets do it!

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="778786" timestamp="1268960126"]
Watching paint dry is indeed interesting fells, but.....you aren't helping much on when to fish the shell reef. 
[img]http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/1.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I have not fished Sabine Lake in a long time.  However, the last time I fished it I tore em up on Momerial day weekend on the reef.  There were som many boats it was stupid.  We were drifting the reef and when we would catch one we would drop a marker.  Other boats would troll to our marker.  We had to throw our markers away from the actual spot we wanted to fish so the boats would follow and get out of our way.....So, I would say around that time would be good.  3 of us limited on specs and reds.  We also had about 10 flounder.

Something you mite try insted of a marker bouy>>> am thinking you have a GPS, if so zoom way in when you stick a fish hit MOB and continue your drift till your out of the fish, come back around to your MOB or to your tracks and start again. I learned this this hard way, just as you described but I was offshore on a unpublished wreck, the marker bouy WILL give your spot away specially if your bouys on the apex of the spot... 

[quote name="643" post="779048" timestamp="1269012110"]
Something you mite try insted of a marker bouy>>> am thinking you have a GPS, if so zoom way in when you stick a fish hit MOB and continue your drift till your out of the fish, come back around to your MOB or to your tracks and start again. I learned this this hard way, just as you described but I was offshore on a unpublished wreck, the marker bouy WILL give your spot away specially if your bouys on the apex of the spot... 
[/quote]

yes......now I have GPS.....but back then it was an aluminum boat and markers  ;D

A displayed shotgun works well to  :D

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="779058" timestamp="1269013763"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=64676.msg779048#msg779048 date=1269012110]
[/quote]

yes......now I have GPS.....but back then it was an aluminum boat and markers  ;D

A displayed shotgun works well to   :D
[/quote]

I don't think it matters much when the fish are on the deeper reef.  They might be there for two or three passes, but they seem to move as a group.  All you have to do, when they are on the reef, and lots of boats are around, is watch to see who has bent rods and stay in that area.
Do you guys remember an older boat that always put up homemade sails so tha he would drift faster?  That guy fished all the time.  he would just start sailing, and put out about 5 rods off the back of his boat.  He would make long drifts, dragging artificials across that reef.  he used to catch a lot of fish that way.

[quote name="westend1" post="779064" timestamp="1269014293"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=64676.msg779058#msg779058 date=1269013763]
[quote author=643 link=topic=64676.msg779048#msg779048 date=1269012110]
[/quote]

A displayed shotgun works well to   :D
[/quote]

I don't think it matters much when the fish are on the deeper reef.   They might be there for two or three passes, but they seem to move as a group.  All you have to do, when they are on the reef, and lots of boats are around, is watch to see who has bent rods and stay in that area.
Do you guys remember an older boat that always put up homemade sails so tha he would drift faster?  That guy fished all the time.  he would just start sailing, and put out about 5 rods off the back of his boat.  He would make long drifts, dragging artificials across that reef.   he used to catch a lot of fish that way.
[/quote]

Dont recall the boat, but basically thats what we did.........drift and bump the bottom with jigs(white and red)
Was pretty productive.

After a good drifting experience on Sabine Lake, I tried it at Rayburn.  Find a mossy flat and drift fishing a worm texas riged........have limited out several times.

I caught my biggest speck ever (a little over 6 pounds) bouncing a 6 inch purple worm with a white tail off of the shell about this time of the year. It was a slow wind and we just drifted letting the Texas rigged worm do its magic.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• Heading into the summer and before two a days get going… what are some concerns or positives about your team heading into next season? I’d like to hear from some H-F people because according to some they are the district favorites heading into the season. I’m just trying to pass some time at least until we get our DCTF magazines lol For Bellville my concern is filling some holes on defense… specifically at LB,S, and DT… bright spots ? Basically the entire offensive line returns that paved the way for 3 RBs to rush for more than 1600 yards a  on the season (2 of those RBs will return as well). With all that said Bellville should still be a region favorite this upcoming season.
    • That’s not a choice, it’s the same thing and equally dangerous.    I’ve literally heard (with my own listening ears) the R County Chairman boast in a speech that “the only time I’ve ever voted for a Democrat was when I voted for Hillary in the Democrat primary! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!” You’ll never guess who is tweeting all over the place about how we need closed primaries this week.  Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.  Escalation of force.  These are concepts that you completely understand and teach.  Whatever we do today, we’ll pay for tomorrow. Impeach a President over something stupid? They’ll impeach yours twice.  Promise to lock up your political rival if you get elected? You can’t cry over somebody else doing it to you… even if you were just blowing a little smoke for the morons.   The old days of “don’t throw rocks if you live in glass houses” has now become “I’m pretty sure I’ve got more rocks than they do.” The frightening thing is that Ds only do it to Rs. Rs do it to Ds and other Rs alike without hesitation.  
    • Definitely does NOT sound like a fit for PN-G.
    • No offense, but both sides do it.  The Rs in Texas want to do away with decades of precedent and demand that Dems are no longer given chair positions on any committees in the Tx House. It sounds reasonable enough, until you arrive at a point when the Ds enjoy a single seat majority in the house, select the most leftist speaker of all times, and the refuse to give Rs any say in the legislative process by refusing to give them any committee chairs.     Experience has shown me that any time a party seeks to consolidate power in a legislative body, it backfires.    What I don’t like is a world where we cheer for Manchin for doing his own thing, but also re-elect guys like Paxton and Patrick when they make threats to R Legislators if they don’t do exactly what the Radical Right demands. Our Rep here in Hardin County lost his spot for voting against private school vouchers-his wife is a teacher. He also voted his conscience on the Paxton impeachment.  It cost him his seat…. Not because of the will of the voters in his district, but because if millions of outside dollars pumped into the race from outside the district and even an endorsement of his unknown challenger by Donald Trump himself.    Why do people like you applaud Manchin for being his own man and then vote against Phelan for doing the same thing?
  • Topics