Sabine Shell Reef?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="742894" timestamp="1263346438"]
Has anyone started fishing the reefs yet?  This is about the time when it starts to get hot, and with the intense cold, they may actually be stacked up there RIGHT NOW!
[/quote]

Or dead. I've heard that  there was some fish kill due to the extreme cold, especially farther south. Anyone know of any fish kill locally?

[quote name="tvc184" post="743066" timestamp="1263359938"]
[quote author=PNG Proud link=topic=64676.msg742894#msg742894 date=1263346438]
Has anyone started fishing the reefs yet?  This is about the time when it starts to get hot, and with the intense cold, they may actually be stacked up there RIGHT NOW!
[/quote]

Or dead. I've heard that  there was some fish kill due to the extreme cold, especially farther south. Anyone know of any fish kill locally?
[/quote]

I have not heard about this.  I would think that the lake has deep enough water so the few days would not hurt the fish.  I need to research!

From Chester Moore off a forum, from yesterday:

After hearing rumors of fish kills on the coast, I contacted Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Kills & Spills program leader Winston Denton to get the facts.

He confirmed there have been some kills, mentioning Pringle Lake near Port O'Connor and reports in the Matagorda complex. TPWD is still in the process of evaluating these reports and will be monitoring areas along the coast.

"There have been some widespread reports of kills but no large numbers all over confirmed yet," Denton said.

"It could be the fish had a chance to get out to deep water before the Arctic front moved through and they made it or it could be more have been killed and have not floated up yet."

We will be monitoring this situation and will post any findings immediately here at TFG Forums.

Chester Moore
Executive Editor
Texas Fish & Game

Update: Just got an email back from Texas Parks & Wildlife Department biologist Art Morris who said they are readying a press release about the kills.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Went Sat BUT not over a reef, I don't think it would have mattered, we struck out. We fished the North end, East Pass, Blacks, Coffee G, La shoreline, Gulf States, threw plastics, Corkies, Catch 5 n 2000, mudminnows and probabally forgot to mention something BUT nada...

[quote name="643" post="763894" timestamp="1266839294"]
Went Sat BUT not over a reef, I don't think it would have mattered, we struck out. We fished the North end, East Pass, Blacks, Coffee G, La shoreline, Gulf States, threw plastics, Corkies, Catch 5 n 2000, mudminnows and probabally forgot to mention something BUT nada...
[/quote]

Sounds like my last fishing trip..........

Bulllets caught the only fish

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="764498" timestamp="1266897455"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=64676.msg763894#msg763894 date=1266839294]
[/quote]

[/quote]

he's a fantastic fisherman, though... i mean, for someone who doesn't own a boat, doesn't go more than a couple of times a year, and has to borrow tackle to do it.

[quote name="bullets13" post="765028" timestamp="1266971920"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=64676.msg764498#msg764498 date=1266897455]
[quote author=643 link=topic=64676.msg763894#msg763894 date=1266839294]
[/quote]

[/quote]

he's a fantastic fisherman, though... i mean, for someone who doesn't own a boat, doesn't go more than a couple of times a year, and has to borrow tackle to do it.
[/quote]

when the weather gets above say 60 degrees........I'm plannin a trip with you and TVC........should make for some awesome conversation!

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="765295" timestamp="1266983967"]

when the weather gets above say 60 degrees........I'm plannin a trip with you and TVC........should make for some awesome conversation!
[/quote]

I think that he is trying to say that I talk too much.....  :D

[quote name="tvc184" post="765305" timestamp="1266984869"]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=64676.msg765295#msg765295 date=1266983967]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i think he's trying to say that you and i BOTH talk to much.

[quote name="bullets13" post="765420" timestamp="1267021024"]
[quote author=tvc184 link=topic=64676.msg765305#msg765305 date=1266984869]
[quote author=thetragichippy link=topic=64676.msg765295#msg765295 date=1266983967]

[/quote]

[/quote]

i think he's trying to say that you and i BOTH talk to much.
[/quote]

;D

I must say I had a great time fishing with both of you!

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="765525" timestamp="1267030909"]
You haven't experienced fishing till you go with Buc we're talkin big fish on every cast media and women trying to talk to me young kids asking how do I catch so many and generally there's a parade and festival going off as I return to the boat ramp
[/quote]

nah, we're just going to take you along and use you as bait.  and i had a blast as well, hippy!

[quote name="bullets13" post="765571" timestamp="1267035859"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=64676.msg765525#msg765525 date=1267030909]
You haven't experienced fishing till you go with Buc we're talkin big fish on every cast media and women trying to talk to me young kids asking how do I catch so many and generally there's a parade and festival going off as I return to the boat ramp
[/quote]

nah, we're just going to take you along and use you as bait.  and i had a blast as well, hippy!
[/quote]

Lol

• 2 weeks later...
The last time we had a fish kill due to cold weather in the Sabine Lake and Pass area it was obvious.  The fish could be seen floating on the surface or struggling near the surface.  Due to the prop wash of the large ships in our area the lethargic or dead fish are pushed up to the surface and are easily seen.  Just as reminder, it is illegal to boat fish that have succumbed to extreme weather conditions.       

[quote name="dugout6" post="773082" timestamp="1268031058"]
The last time we had a fish kill due to cold weather in the Sabine Lake and Pass area it was obvious.  The fish could be seen floating on the surface or struggling near the surface.  Due to the prop wash of the large ships in our area the lethargic or dead fish are pushed up to the surface and are easily seen.  Just as reminder, it is illegal to boat fish that have succumbed to extreme weather conditions.         
[/quote]

I am not sure that I would want to boat a floating fish, I don't care what caused it. It is a law without a purpose as far as I am concerned.

[quote name="dugout6" post="773082" timestamp="1268031058"]
[/quote]

Why is this even a law?  First if its already dead who would want it? And if you did you would still have to follow bag limits so it would only limimt what you could catch.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder