Houston Yates 170, Houston Lee 35 - Final

cutt

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="SFA85" post="739456" timestamp="1262808162"]
166-60 eh?  If only there was the internet which these feminine men could whine and whail about poor little Hardin getting blown out by over 100 points.  Wow how times have changed.....
[/quote]

Why does wanting a HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER/COACH to show sportsmanship make me feminine? Play to win, but with dignity. Running up the score on Slap Happy High is not dignified.

My nephew Gene Isabell, Jr. played on the 1991 HJ State Championship team. They had no problem winning with class.

someone mentioned LT running it up in football. the most lopsided score I can think of for them was 70-7 against killeen ellison I believe.... and the dogs were called off early, guaranteed. Their starters rarely play a 4th quarter. they showed tons of class in the state semis against Dayton.

The strange thing about the yates game is that there was no one to pull or put in due to the fight/fights.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="739477" timestamp="1262809493"]
Big Gene and Little Gene...........know them all too well............graduated with Little Gene from HJ!!!!
[/quote]

Of all my crazy East Texas relatives, they are by far my favorites. Good ol', down home folks.

At the rate Little Gene (or should I say Dr. Little Gene) is going, he'll have his own "starting 5" before too long.

[quote name="westend1" post="739439" timestamp="1262807417"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64409.msg739437#msg739437 date=1262807309]
[quote author=team first link=topic=64409.msg739343#msg739343 date=1262797279]
true, you dont want to put in the last 5 and tell them not to score. But, there are other ways of playing and showing class..A 2-3 Zone would be appropriate Maybe a little man to man..throw in some 1-2-2 sit back zone action, anything , these are KIDS..These kids are not just from inside the district lines...Move ins from all over the H-Town area for one reason..Break the record..Not very challenging for the coach or the kids, a dinamic AAU super squad vs other public schools..WOW..Sure they are good go win another state championship, but do it the right way..With CLASS..Some just dont get it and never will...In this life, sooner or later, what comes around, goes around,you can bet on that!!!
[/quote]"Other ways of playing?" Are you serious? You play the way you are trained to play. Go all out! Same philosophy in business and making money.
[/quote]

So you are saying nobody has ever taught the guys to play a zone defense?   They don't know how to play a half-court game?   Dove, surely you are just stirring here.
[/quote]They better be familiar with zone defenses and other ways to play the game if they expect to succeed at the next level.  Learn to play all aspects of the game and you will be a much better player.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="739483" timestamp="1262809867"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=64409.msg739477#msg739477 date=1262809493]
Big Gene and Little Gene...........know them all too well............graduated with Little Gene from HJ!!!!
[/quote]

Of all my crazy East Texas relatives, they are by far my favorites. Good ol', down home folks.

At the rate Little Gene (or should I say Dr. Little Gene) is going, he'll have his own "starting 5" before too long.
[/quote]

haha..........no doubt about that!!!!! :D :D

The only thing I would havedone was have a running clock the second half. People who are saying practice other defenses you will need in the state tourney haven't seen Yates play. They have no other defense. It is press press press and then some more press. I doubt they will ever do anything different. Also some people said the football team will have to pay for this? If I remember correctly isn't Yates pretty good at football too? Me personally would have called off the dogs but I understand their philosophy and dont have a problem with it. Lee just needs to practice hard and get better to make sure it doesn't happen again.

A win is a win.  You can have 15 teenage kids coming from 2 parent homes with decent incomes, church going folk and alike and you can't tell me they wouldn't be cocky(the kids) putting up over a 100 points on anybody.  Winning with class come from people who've lost all their athletic lives.  This isn't Pee-Wee basketball.  Lee's job is to stop Yates.  Matter of fact, Yates has gone over 100 points 8/14 times.  They are on a mission not only to repeat as 4A state champs but to also finish #1 in the country.  But like I said and will continue to say, places like Southlake and Lake Travis or Highland Park, this isn't an issue....

WO-S beat Lincoln 80something to 6
Euless Trinity scored 88 points this past year(only non-class school to do so w/o complaints)
Sealy 86 Newton 6
Orangfield 99 Kountze 0
Feminization of sports and those who whine need to get on some testosterone therapy....

[quote name="SFA85" post="739495" timestamp="1262810752"]
A win is a win.  You can have 15 teenage kids coming from 2 parent homes with decent incomes, church going folk and alike and you can't tell me they wouldn't be cocky(the kids) putting up over a 100 points on anybody.  Winning with class come from people who've lost all their athletic lives.  This isn't Pee-Wee basketball.  Lee's job is to stop Yates.  Matter of fact, Yates has gone over 100 points 8/14 times.  They are on a mission not only to repeat as 4A state champs but to also finish #1 in the country.  But like I said and will continue to say, places like Southlake and Lake Travis or Highland Park, this isn't an issue....

WO-S beat Lincoln 80something to 6
Euless Trinity scored 88 points this past year(only non-class school to do so w/o complaints)
Sealy 86 Newton 6
Orangfield 99 Kountze 0
Feminization of sports and those who whine need to get on some testosterone therapy....
[/quote];D ;D ;D ;D  I needed that laugh today! 

I guess every year someone somewhere brings up the subject of a school running up the score on another team.  To score this many points the Yates press must have been to much for Lee to handle.  I guess if I saw the game and saw that Yates didn't play more than 8 players, I might could criticize.  If Houston Lee played Yates caliber teams often they would surely work harder to improve their abilities to break a press.  That might mean, if they were to play again, they would only get beaten by 100 points, but they would be better.

If I were a runner and could set records wherever I ran.  I wouldn't run just to win.  I would lay it down every time.  If I were a coach and had a record setting team.  I would surely let the whole team play when they was well in control of the game, but I wouldn't tell them to take it easy on a team.   

[quote name="Stuck in E. Texas" post="739517" timestamp="1262813728"]
I guess every year someone somewhere brings up the subject of a school running up the score on another team.  To score this many points the Yates press must have been to much for Lee to handle.  I guess if I saw the game and saw that Yates didn't play more than 8 players, I might could criticize.  If Houston Lee played Yates caliber teams often they would surely work harder to improve their abilities to break a press.  That might mean, if they were to play again, they would only get beaten by 100 points, but they would be better.

If I were a runner and could set records wherever I ran.  I wouldn't run just to win.  I would lay it down every time.  If I were a coach and had a record setting team.  I would surely let the whole team play when they was well in control of the game, but I wouldn't tell them to take it easy on a team.     
[/quote]

Listening to Micheal Young whos son plays for Yates, there was a fight and a bench clearing.  After 15 min, all of Yates bench players were ejected as well as Lee's so Yates could only finish the game with their starting 5....

Bottom line, Westend, blowouts go on all the time but when it happens in the Burbs, no calls to the radio shows or no features on ESPN.  3rd Ward nets a blowout on a hapless Lee school and it's the topic of the day and the kids are labled thugs and whatnot....

[quote name="tokenwb" post="739485" timestamp="1262810206"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=64409.msg739439#msg739439 date=1262807417]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64409.msg739437#msg739437 date=1262807309]
[quote author=team first link=topic=64409.msg739343#msg739343 date=1262797279]
true, you dont want to put in the last 5 and tell them not to score. But, there are other ways of playing and showing class..A 2-3 Zone would be appropriate Maybe a little man to man..throw in some 1-2-2 sit back zone action, anything , these are KIDS..These kids are not just from inside the district lines...Move ins from all over the H-Town area for one reason..Break the record..Not very challenging for the coach or the kids, a dinamic AAU super squad vs other public schools..WOW..Sure they are good go win another state championship, but do it the right way..With CLASS..Some just dont get it and never will...In this life, sooner or later, what comes around, goes around,you can bet on that!!!
[/quote]"Other ways of playing?" Are you serious? You play the way you are trained to play. Go all out! Same philosophy in business and making money.
[/quote]

So you are saying nobody has ever taught the guys to play a zone defense?   They don't know how to play a half-court game?   Dove, surely you are just stirring here.
[/quote]They better be familiar with zone defenses and other ways to play the game if they expect to succeed at the next level.  Learn to play all aspects of the game and you will be a much better player.
[/quote]When you have a very athletic team and a deep bench, it kind of hard to rely on a zone defense and sit back and wait on a team. Of course they know about zone defenses ::)

[quote name="SFA85" post="739523" timestamp="1262814597"]
Bottom line, Westend, blowouts go on all the time but when it happens in the Burbs, no calls to the radio shows or no features on ESPN.  3rd Ward nets a blowout on a hapless Lee school and it's the topic of the day and the kids are labled thugs and whatnot....
[/quote]I predict channels 13, 2, 11 and 26 will be at the Houston Yates/Lee game. And not to cover any new records.

[quote name="SFA85" post="739523" timestamp="1262814597"]
[/quote]

That's BS SFA.   If a "Burb" had beaten someone like this, they would also have been crucified by the media, and rightfully so.  Don't make this racial.  You should know I don't play that game.  Bottom line: they should have gotten out of the full court press.  It was classless, and none of your excuses will change that.

Guest stevenash
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="739342" timestamp="1262797216"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64409.msg739331#msg739331 date=1262795715]
Wise and anybody else in his corner can come up with all the excuses they want. It doesn't change the fact that it is WRONG to beat someone like that.

I really don't have a problem with a team scoring 170 points, as long as the other team is scoring right there with you. But if you are up by almost 100 points at HALFTIME, wouldn't you think it was time to call the dogs off? 99.9% of all coaches would say yes. We know who the .1% is. ::)

The Lee coach should have not brought his team out after half.

Also, should have been a running clock.
[/quote]The only reasonable thing you said is to use a running clock. I don't hear any whining when a high school baseball score is 15-0 or a tennis match is lopsided. This is what happens with top tier teams or athletes in individual competitive sports. Non-competitive types want you to slack off on lesser talent. You can't!!! There is a certain edge you have to maintain in order to compete at a top level. It's hard enough to maintain motivation playing against weaker opponents. So you still have to set goals even against weak teams or opponents. Trust me, when Yates play against tougher teams, they will need the same intensity to win. Teams should get better or stop your whining.
[/quote]

Whats the deal Dove? YOu are starting to sound like a Republican.  After all, the OBAMA WAY would demand that Yates give 75 of their points to the losers in the interest of "fairness"

[quote name="westend1" post="739526" timestamp="1262815243"]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=64409.msg739523#msg739523 date=1262814597]
[/quote]

That's BS SFA.   If a "Burb" had beaten someone like this, they would also have been crucified by the media, and rightfully so.  Don't make this racial.  You should know I don't play that game.  Bottom line: they should have gotten out of the full court press.  It was classless, and none of your excuses will change that.
[/quote]

The next time PN-G or Nederland beats Ozen and or Central in baseball by 20 runs, I'll be sure to let you know.  There was no cry about Lake Travis running up the score in football and I have other examples.  Like Carl Dukes pointed out, win Katy blows somebody out in football or Bellaire in baseball, there's no outrage.......

[quote name="stevenash" post="739531" timestamp="1262816924"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=64409.msg739342#msg739342 date=1262797216]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64409.msg739331#msg739331 date=1262795715]
Wise and anybody else in his corner can come up with all the excuses they want. It doesn't change the fact that it is WRONG to beat someone like that.

I really don't have a problem with a team scoring 170 points, as long as the other team is scoring right there with you. But if you are up by almost 100 points at HALFTIME, wouldn't you think it was time to call the dogs off? 99.9% of all coaches would say yes. We know who the .1% is. ::)

The Lee coach should have not brought his team out after half.

Also, should have been a running clock.
[/quote]The only reasonable thing you said is to use a running clock. I don't hear any whining when a high school baseball score is 15-0 or a tennis match is lopsided. This is what happens with top tier teams or athletes in individual competitive sports. Non-competitive types want you to slack off on lesser talent. You can't!!! There is a certain edge you have to maintain in order to compete at a top level. It's hard enough to maintain motivation playing against weaker opponents. So you still have to set goals even against weak teams or opponents. Trust me, when Yates play against tougher teams, they will need the same intensity to win. Teams should get better or stop your whining.
[/quote]

Whats the deal Dove? YOu are starting to sound like a Republican.  After all, the OBAMA WAY would demand that Yates give 75 of their points to the losers in the interest of "fairness"
[/quote]
Naw, my President probably would've stopped @125 but not give back any points.....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed