LU football to add former West Brook, Ozen stars

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola
[quote]LU expects to receive signed letters of intent from at least two defensive backs who played high school football in Southeast Texas and at least one season of college football. Expected to sign letters of intent today are former West Brook safety Jordan Garrett, who played one season at Tulane University, and former Ozen safety Ryan Clark, who played two seasons at Navarro College, a two-year school in Corsicana.

Another player expected to sign today is former West Brook wide receiver Josh Powdrill, a two-year player at Navarro.

Each player is verbally committed to LU. Verbal commitments are non-binding until a letter is signed and faxed to the school. NCAA rules prohibit coaches from talking about recruits until a letter is signed and faxed.[/quote]

[quote]LU signed seven mid-year transfers last year, so expect a few additional players to sign today with LU. The school is expected to announce the addition of players when each signing is completed.[/quote]

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lu_football_to_add_former_west_brook__ozen_stars.html

Any word on whether the kids that LU had in this weekend signed from Hofstra University???  They had to make a decision by the weekend.  Hofstra dropped football and LU was the last to have them in for a visit just before the deadline.  They looked like some great athletes.........one kid was a 6'6 and 260 and was impressive looking!!!!

[quote name="AJ25" post="731227" timestamp="1260945099"]
Lamar will be competitive. Garrett started several games against Big D1 programs and played great. Misses home. Will be a terrific addition to the LU football program.
[/quote]Agree, great pick up, he misses home, his mom is my secretary. Started as a true freshman at the D1 level this past season for several games

[quote name="coachacola" post="731140" timestamp="1260934035"]Each player is verbally committed to LU. Verbal commitments are non-binding until a letter is signed and faxed to the school. NCAA rules prohibit coaches from talking about recruits until a letter is signed and faxed.[/quote]

Does Bob West know this...? I recall him saying that Ray Woodard told him about one of your QBs before they signed. Come on Bob, the media is able to report this stuff because coaches are willing, but you can't let them know you actually got it from the coach!

Guest coachacola
Woodard signed 5 players today:

[tt]Name            Pos.  Ht.  Wt.    College            High School
Michael Allen  DB    5-10  180    College of Sequoia San Marcos HS
Ryan Clark      DB    6-1  190    Navarro JC        Beaumont Ozen
Jordan Garrett  DB    5-11  194    Tulane            Beaumont West Brook
Stephone Mercer CB    5-11  185    Navarro JC        Austin LBJ
Josh Powdrill  WR    5-9  165    Navarro JC        Beaumont West Brook [/tt]

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121609aaa.html

Guest coachacola
More from the Beaumont Enterprise:

[quote]The addition of at least five players with at least one season of collegiate experience to the Lamar University football program Wednesday reenforced one element about the team that may not be immediately apparent.

The Cardinals, set to play their first game in nearly 21 years Sept. 4, will carry the status of a first-year program. But that distinction will not be entirely evident by their roster.

Of the 37 players signed to a football scholarship at LU, 15 have at least one year of college playing experience. More may be added today, the second day on which mid-year college transfers can sign a letter of intent with a new school.

"We definitely want to line up with McNeese with a little more experience, a little older player or two," said LU coach Ray Woodard, whose team will face that talented McNeese State squad in that first game, in Lake Charles, La. [/quote]

Michael Allen, DB, 5-10, 180, College of the Sequoias (San Marcos, Calif., HS): Spotted by LU coach Ray Woodard and his staff on a highlight video sent to the school. Will fill a need at cornerback, Woodard said.

Ryan Clark, DB, 6-1, 190, Navarro JC (Ozen): Intercepted seven passes and earned juco all-American honors as a freshman while playing for current Woodard in 2007. Signed with SMU after 2008 season but did not qualify academically.

Collin Garrett, S, 5-11, 194, Tulane (West Brook): Saw plenty of action in true freshman season. Athletic enough to play multiple positions on offense and defense at West Brook. Transferring because of homesickness, he said.

Stephone Mercer, CB, 5-11, 185, Navarro JC (Austin LBJ): Recruited to Navarro by Woodard before he left the school to become the head coach at LU in May 2008. Mercer played two seasons at Navarro.

Josh Powdrill, WR, 5-9, 165, Navarro JC (West Brook): Recruited to Navarro by Woodard and played with current LU quarterback Andre Bevil in 2008. Caught 17 passes for 335 yards and two TDs in a run-based offense this season.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lu_football_filling_with_experienced_players.html

[quote name="BCgrad05" post="731817" timestamp="1261012641"]LU is gonna have 3 former D1 players on Defense! Chavis, the LB from Iowa and Garrett DB from Tulane.[/quote]

And even better - 11 [b]current[/b] Div I players when Lamar lines up the appropriate amount of players on the defensive side of the ball this September!

Who knows, if UNLV's poor math rubs off on the players, coaches...we may see 12 at times, but the official will throw laundry on those.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="731957" timestamp="1261024157"]
[quote author=BCgrad05 link=topic=63854.msg731817#msg731817 date=1261012641]LU is gonna have 3 former D1 players on Defense! Chavis, the LB from Iowa and Garrett DB from Tulane.[/quote]

And even better - 11 [b]current[/b] Div I players when Lamar lines up the appropriate amount of players on the defensive side of the ball this September!

Who knows, if UNLV's poor math rubs off on the players, coaches...we may see 12 at times, but the official will throw laundry on those.
[/quote]

Again, TT "the stickler". ::)

Since they split D1 into two subdivisions around 1979'ish (D1-A now FBS and D1-AA now FCS) - It's a common mistake.  But ... D1-AA teams don't like to be called D2 just like D2 don't like to be called D3.

Here's some playoff brackets to check out to kind of clear up the Divisions:

Div1-A FBS (BCS rankings)
http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/division_i_a5.html

Div1-AA FCS  Playoff Brackets
http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2009/ncaa_bracket_FCS_football.html

Div II    Playoff Brackets
http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2009/ncaa_bracket_DII_football.html

Div III    Playoff Brackets
http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/2009/ncaa_bracket_DIII_football.html

[quote name="coachacola" post="731941" timestamp="1261022115"]

[quote]The addition of at least five players with at least one season of collegiate experience to the Lamar University football program Wednesday reenforced one element about the team that may not be immediately apparent.

The Cardinals, set to play their first game in nearly 21 years Sept. 4, will carry the status of a first-year program. But that distinction will not be entirely evident by their roster.

Of the 37 players signed to a football scholarship at LU, 15 have at least one year of college playing experience. More may be added today, the second day on which mid-year college transfers can sign a letter of intent with a new school.

"We definitely want to line up with McNeese with a little more experience, a little older player or two," said LU coach Ray Woodard, whose team will face that talented McNeese State squad in that first game, in Lake Charles, La. [/quote]

Michael Allen, DB, 5-10, 180, College of the Sequoias (San Marcos, Calif., HS): Spotted by LU coach Ray Woodard and his staff on a highlight video sent to the school. Will fill a need at cornerback, Woodard said.

Ryan Clark, DB, 6-1, 190, Navarro JC (Ozen): Intercepted seven passes and earned juco all-American honors as a freshman while playing for current Woodard in 2007. Signed with SMU after 2008 season but did not qualify academically.

Collin Garrett, S, 5-11, 194, Tulane (West Brook): Saw plenty of action in true freshman season. Athletic enough to play multiple positions on offense and defense at West Brook. Transferring because of homesickness, he said.

Stephone Mercer, CB, 5-11, 185, Navarro JC (Austin LBJ): Recruited to Navarro by Woodard before he left the school to become the head coach at LU in May 2008. Mercer played two seasons at Navarro.

Josh Powdrill, WR, 5-9, 165, Navarro JC (West Brook): Recruited to Navarro by Woodard and played with current LU quarterback Andre Bevil in 2008. Caught 17 passes for 335 yards and two TDs in a run-based offense this season.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lu_football_filling_with_experienced_players.html
[/quote]the name is Jordan Garrett

[quote name="coachacola" post="731941" timestamp="1261022115"]

[b]Collin Garrett[/b], S, 5-11, 194, Tulane (West Brook): Saw plenty of action in true freshman season. Athletic enough to play multiple positions on offense and defense at West Brook. Transferring because of homesickness, he said.

[/quote]

Is still at WB coach...but he would also make a nice addition,  ;D

[quote name="AJ25" post="731996" timestamp="1261029351"]D1-AA at the football level. D1 every other sport
[/quote]

You guys will learn eventually...

[b]DIVISION I[/b] in [B]ALL SPORTS[/B].

If you played anything besides Division I in football, you wouldn't be eligible for the [B]DIVISION I NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP[/b] which will be played between Montana and Villanova at the end of this week.

There's a reason it is called Division I football. One of the biggest, to prevent people from calling our basketball and baseball teams 'I-AA' or 'Div 2' as has been the case in recruiting battles. We are Division I.

Get used to it...though if you'd prefer, I'll call all your sports Division II, if that's what you want to think you are.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="732078" timestamp="1261060910"]
[quote author=AJ25 link=topic=63854.msg731996#msg731996 date=1261029351]D1-AA at the football level. D1 every other sport
[/quote]

You guys will learn eventually...

[b]DIVISION I[/b] in [B]ALL SPORTS[/B].

If you played anything besides Division I in football, you wouldn't be eligible for the [B]DIVISION I NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP[/b] which will be played between Montana and Villanova at the end of this week.

There's a reason it is called Division I football. One of the biggest, to prevent people from calling our basketball and baseball teams 'I-AA' or 'Div 2' as has been the case in recruiting battles. We are Division I.

Get used to it...though if you'd prefer, I'll call all your sports Division II, if that's what you want to think you are.
[/quote]

Lmao terror being a stickler. I know buddy. The easiest way to explain to people why we don't play for the BCS national championship is to say D1-AA, instead of just D1.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn