Newton & Kirbyville losses

I believe the spread is best when a team has alot of speed! The whole point is to spread the defense out, and to get the ball to your skilled-players in open space and give them a better opportunity to make big-plays! Gilmer & DF are great examples of what happens when the spread is mixed with speed! DF had for years run out of the eye, and did win state 3 times doing it! However, as time went by, they couldn't seem to make it all the way to the big-game, or like in 98, when Newton spanked us, they hit two big pass plays down the middle of the field, and DF could not pass worth a poot, nor defend the pass! Newton won 21 to 0! Not long after, Gilmer went to the spread, and after running it for several years, started rewriting their own football history books! After taking some beatings from Gilmer, DF decided to make the change! It took a couple of years of running it for them to find success! Not because of lack of talent, but it's a different system, and mind-set! But once ran several years, look what has happened! DF's QB has ran this offense since 7th grade, that has alot to do with DF's success! I have been wondering when more teams like Newton and KVILLE would start running it! These teams seem to have just as much speed as DF and Gilmer year after year! If that kind of speed had the space that the spread would create for them, it could be sick!!! Newton in my opinion had a very good passing QB for the last two years, and if that big reciever they had last year could of played out of the spread, and with the healthy backs they had in the back-field, it would have been sick! As we all know, the spread ran with speedy players, puts alot, and I mean alot of pressure on the defense! If the offense lines up in a 4 reciever set with a reciever like the Alfred kid of last year, and then has a back in the back-field like Ford or Bennent, tell me how you would like to be the defensive Coordinator that would have to defend that for 48 minutes! I would pay alot of money to have watched Ford run the ball with that kind of space to run with for 48 minutes!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Kirby game in San Marcos and I do not think it had anything to to do with the spread. PP executed very well and did not turn the ball over. PP made a couple of plays on 3rd down that if Kirby had stopped them it could have been different. Ford should be a very highly sought out recruit next year. PP was just the better team that day. I look for Kirby to make that trip again next year.

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="731714" timestamp="1261003799"]
I was at the Kirby game in San Marcos and I do not think it had anything to to do with the spread. PP executed very well and did not turn the ball over. PP made a couple of plays on 3rd down that if Kirby had stopped them it could have been different. Ford should be a very highly sought out recruit next year. PP was just the better team that day. I look for Kirby to make that trip again next year.
[/quote]

agreed

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="731714" timestamp="1261003799"]
I was at the Kirby game in San Marcos and I do not think it had anything to to do with the spread. PP executed very well and did not turn the ball over. [b]PP made a couple of plays on 3rd down that if Kirby had stopped them it could have been different[/b]. Ford should be a very highly sought out recruit next year. PP was just the better team that day. I look for Kirby to make that trip again next year.
[/quote]

Aside from the turnovers this was the key points in the game.  PP only had something like 104 passing in the game and that isn't great numbers passing in a spread offense.  Giving up those 3rd and long plays for 1st downs really hurt Kville.  In short I agree with you. ;)

Guest ~old_wildcat~
I know I'm Old School, But Iv'e seen a lot of football in my time..A lot of Wildcat football too...But I still believe a decent passing game,a slobber knocking defense,And hard running up the gut,and fast pitch outs to running backs like Ford on the outsides will still get you there...JMO

There is no doubt that it will get you there, it has gotton KV there 2 years in a row! However, I believe if KV would have been running the spread offense, PP would have had alot tougher time stopping KV offense than they did! KV had much more overall team speed than PP in my opinion, and alot more offensive weapons(speedy runners) than PP. Due to spreading KV D out, and having 1 great and speedy RB, and due to extra space, PP was able to make the plays they had to to win.
Let me put it this way! If PP would have run strictly out of the eye, I do not think they would have been able to come within 14 points of KV. KV's defensive speed was great, and if they would have congested the line, KV would have been able to contain the run game, and they would not have been able to break some of the long runs. Plus with the little extra time the Qb and reciever had to get open on that huge third down play would not had been possible in my opinion if they would have lined up out of the I!
It doesn't matter to me either way, but in my opinion if the spread can deliver wins and championships to teams with 2 or 3 speedy skilled guys, what can it do to teams that have a whole team full?

Im glad that jasper went away from the spread this year we looked a whole lot better.My Dad, Brother in-law all played for barbay in newton and i talked to alot of old players from newton all i hear from them is it,s time for a change in newton 3 and out is not getting it done for them anymore.They say add more to the O are bring in some new coaches.

[quote name="football" post="731745" timestamp="1261007147"]
I heard Liberty Hill was going to ditch the wing t in favor of the spread because they didn't win thier 3rd championship in a row. ::) ::) ::)
[/quote]

And.... its already been stated that there are exceptions.... they are few and far between though. And I would bet LH CAN throw if they need to. Thanks for contributing though.

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Land95" post="732031" timestamp="1261054117"]
Im glad that jasper went away from the spread this year we looked a whole lot better.My Dad, Brother in-law all played for barbay in newton and i talked to alot of old players from newton all i hear from them is it,s time for a change in newton 3 and out is not getting it done for them anymore.They say add more to the O are bring in some new coaches.
[/quote]

Coaches.. ???

In Kirbyvilles case, I think if we had just mixed up like we did against Comfort PP would have had their hand full.  As it was, all they had to do was slow down Ford and the game was thiers, and thats what they did.  KV just needs to keep doing what got you there to start with. Better luck next year!!!

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="CatFan81" post="732275" timestamp="1261086138"]
In Kirbyvilles case, I think if we had just mixed up like we did against Comfort PP would have had their hand full.  As it was, all they had to do was slow down Ford and the game was thiers, and thats what they did.  KV just needs to keep doing what got you there to start with. Better luck next year!!!
[/quote]

I agree I said that in a previous post:  Don't get away from what got you there..!! If it was good enough to get you there it's good enough to win with...JMO

[quote name="~old_wildcat~" post="732286" timestamp="1261088112"]
[quote author=CatFan81 link=topic=63795.msg732275#msg732275 date=1261086138]
[/quote]

I agree I said that in a previous post:  Don't get away from what got you there..!! If it was good enough to get you there it's good enough to win with...JMO
[/quote]

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Barbay is Retiring after one more year , so some of you Newton fans will finally get what you want , maybe Newton will go to the spread, but I can guartee one thing when barbay does leave get ready for a couple of years of losing maybe not losing season but we will probably not see them long playoff runs that barbay brings to the table with the New allignment coming two loses in district and you can pretty much kiss the playoffs goodbye. Maybe that's what Newton fans need , maybe when they start to win again it will lite a fire under the a** of Newton Fans and get them out of the we should allways win. All Im saying is maybe the next time Newton is a big underdog how bout a little fan support anyways.
(Support Ur team even when things look impossible Support ur Team)

Guest ~old_wildcat~
[quote name="Jcmeek83" post="733625" timestamp="1261328937"]

Barbay is Retiring after one more year , so some of you Newton fans will finally get what you want , maybe Newton will go to the spread, but I can guartee one thing when barbay does leave get ready for a couple of years of losing maybe not losing season but we will probably not see them long playoff runs that barbay brings to the table with the New allignment coming two loses in district and you can pretty much kiss the playoffs goodbye. Maybe that's what Newton fans need , maybe when they start to win again it will lite a fire under the a** of Newton Fans and get them out of the we should allways win. All Im saying is maybe the next time Newton is a big underdog how bout a little fan support anyways.
(Support Ur team even when things look impossible Support ur Team)
[/quote]

JC I'm really sorry to hear that Coach Barbay is retiring,But I suppose after all them years He needs to relax and enjoy life some, He will be leaving big shoes to fill (one of the winningest coaches in Texas)..That's a hard act for any coach to follow,But Coach Barbay gave Newton something that only Newton can give away or lose.( not only the teams coming up,the past teams and the entire town)..A Winning Tradition...!!! I believe Newton can and will hold on to that gift...I wish Coach Barbay all the best..He deserves it........JMO

I started this thread thinking about defensing the spread/zone read and never intended to say anything about replacing coaches or adopting the offense. JC your insane about seeing coach Barbay leave. One day it will happen, but I don't think you have the crystal ball on this. He will when he wants. Newton fans are as fickel as they come. Now having said all that I still think this is the offense that is ruling high school football right now. If it is ran well with a few quality athletes it is deadly. I've not seen personally any defense that can take it down completely. There probably will be in the future, but not right now. My question still is do your programs start to try to defense it earlier in the season if the only place they will see it is in the playoffs? How do you do this? It appears to win a state title this is going to be a very relevant question about anyone's program in the Golden Triangle.

Well hate to break the news to you Champion but Barby really wants to watch his grandson play at Anahuac and he has told me personally that he wants to do so. His grandson is going to be a freshman this coming up year so he is not leaving yet, We just better hope a pray they don't move him to Varsity his Soph Yr but they probably will and Barby has Said that he is leaving if this happenes. The reason I talked about the Fans is that you know as well as I do that some fans think its time for Barbay to leave and I think That is Crazy talk they seem to want to blame Barbay for every loss. That really pisses me off after all he has done for the school, Why would fans say such things.

I'm saying you can't count on that. I've heard him say that, but also have heard him say things that contradict that. Just don't put that out as the gospel, it may not happen. As for the blame, he wears the big hat, it is his fault. If you get credit for the wins, you have to take the blame for the losses. I say again that he is a man, not a god. Until we figure out a defense to deal with the current problem, we are not going to get another state trophy anyways, in my opinion.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="734274" timestamp="1261513959"]
I'm saying you can't count on that. I've heard him say that, but also have heard him say things that contradict that. Just don't put that out as the gospel, it may not happen. As for the blame, he wears the big hat, it is his fault. If you get credit for the wins, you have to take the blame for the losses. I say again that he is a man, not a god. Until we figure out a defense to deal with the current problem, we are not going to get another state trophy anyways, in my opinion.
[/quote]

First of all there is no "we" figuring out a defense unless you coach at Newton.  Current problem?  Four rounds deep aint much of a problem.  Once you get to that level every team is awesome.  Did you see the score of Daingerfield's state game?  Here's a hint.... It wasn't because of the offense they ran.  Any offense is effective with the right athletes.

Barbay is a man.  Go into his office and suggest some changes.  Get the chalk and get on the board with it.  I'm sure he will watch avidly.  ;)

"We" is "we" as long as I came through the program, my son came through the program, and I still live in and pay taxes in the district and support the program. How do you get that the football program is run by someone totally without any outside influences? Just because I don't coach in Newton I'm not entitled to any kind of opinion? If there is no "we" there is no program. Again Barbay wears the big hat. That's what he gets paid for by "we". Open to suggestion? Unless you've not been reading all the post, I'm still asking what defense can stop it. Four rounds deep ain't good enough. Nothing short of a state trophy is. That should be the goal set at the first of every year. Attainable every year, no. Goal set for it every year, yes. Anything less should be seen as not reaching(failing) one's goal. Not satisfied that you reached four rounds deep. And beaten by the same offense two years in a row at that fourth round I would say needs to be looked at why, instead of oh they have better athletes. Cop out. How do you stop those athletes in that offense? How do you not let those athletes in that offense out score your offense? "We've" not had that answer for the last two years. No one else in DII has either. If your a coach on Newton's staff it would seem to me that you would not be satisfied with four rounds deep instead of a state trophy or maybe you have the wrong job.

I didn't say any coach was satisfied.  I'm sure they are not. I wouldn't be either.  However, the ole "i pay taxes argument doesn't fly". You are not a coach.  Don't try to be one. 

And still... You are not going to pick out any type of defense.  I stand by my statement that I'm sure the staff would pay very close attention to your infinite football wisdom.  Just stroll into the office, grab a piece of chalk and start drawing up some stuff.  Put your money where your mouth is. Maybe its you that has the wrong job... I'm sure that the guys down at the plywood mill would love to see you further your dream of being a coach.  It would also open up a position on the debarker for someone else!  ;)

Go ahead and say what you will. It don't change the facts. If you cannot defense the spread/zone read your going home. That's what happened to Newton two years in a row. I would be proud to work on the debarker if it paid the taxes that paid the salary of the coaches. "We" should look at how to get to the title game. If the coaches don't care enough to face the reality of what has happened, maybe they should be on the debarker. I've tried to avoid saying anything about coaching, but it continually gets brought into this. Defensing should be the issue, not what coach is coaching the defense. You seem to be bent on making it about the coaches. Is this too close to home for you?

Reread the thread.. You were throwing around the coaching.

What I'm saying is that if you want to help... man up and walk into their office and give them some pointers.  You talk the talk like a big man in total anonymity on here but do you have the guts to face them?  I seriously doubt it. 

If you can't defense the wing t you are going home, same as the slot t, the single wing, the spread....... any offense! 

Could Shelbyville or Chester line up with Daingerfields offense and be contenders??  Sometimes there are better teams and its not because of the offense they run.  It ain't about the x's and o's its about the jesses and joes! 

I stand by what I said. I have not threw around any of the coaching. You want to make this out to be about me. Alright you do that. I still think getting beat by an offense two years running is worth questioning how do you do something about it. I have not said anything about the coaching of those defenses. You want to belittle me about working. As long as anyone works for what they have I cannot say anything negative towards them. I happen to not run the debarker but admire someone that can day in and day out to provide for their family. Your obviously superior to anyone in that position.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder