UIL Looks to Register Officials- Measure Approved Today!

Guest Ranger83

Guest Ranger83
[size=14pt]UIL looks to register officials[/size]

Motion awaits approval from legislative council

By SAM KHAN JR.
Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Oct. 25, 2009, 11:30PM

AUSTIN — The University Interscholastic League is one step closer to bringing the officiating of its high school sports events under its control.

The UIL standing committee on athletics unanimously approved a motion to require all officials that work its varsity contests to register with the league. Officiating was one of the many topics handled during the UIL legislative council meetings on Sunday at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center.

The motion must receive approval from the legislative council today in order to go into effect. The council will reconvene today at 9 a.m.

The decision on officiating comes in the wake of an ongoing dispute between the UIL and the Texas Association of Sports Officials, the governing body for officials in Texas. Previously, section 1204 of the UIL’s Constitution and Contest Rules stated that, unless otherwise mutually agreed, schools were to use officials registered with TASO for varsity team sports contests. If approved, the measure will instead require schools to use officials registered with the UIL.

Also up for discussion was predetermined sites for state championship football games. Currently, only Class 5A has a predetermined date and site for its Division I and Division II title games, which went into effect in 2006. The standing committee on policy unanimously approved a motion to extend predetermined sites to championship games in all classes from Class 4A all the way to Class 1A six-man. The legislative council will decide on that issue today.

The results of a referendum ballot on split-conference alignment for Class 2A schools was also unveiled. The 2A schools voted 121-75 in favor of a split-conference alignment for football, which would separate 2A into Division I and Division II prior to the season, rather than after the regular season. That setup is currently used in Class 1A six-man and 11-man football.

Class 2A will begin its split-conference alignment, which places 16 districts in Division I and 16 districts in Division II prior to the regular season, in time for the 2010 football season.

[email protected]

This will not effect this years basketball and baseball so there will be some time to find out all the details. Coaches I know are already worried where they will get their officials from next year. If you are one of those that think officiating is bad now, just wait if all the expierenced guys quit over this.

Guest Ranger83
[size=14pt]UIL passes measure requiring officials to register with agency[/size]

By SAM KHAN JR.
Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Oct. 26, 2009, 1:10PM

AUSTIN — The University Interscholastic League will soon govern the officials that call its varsity games.

The UIL legislative council approved an amendment to require all officials that work its varsity team sports contests to register with the league, one of several items ruled on at its biannual legislative council meetings on Monday at the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center.

The UIL's standing committee on athletics unanimously approved the motion Sunday before the legislative council passed it Monday. All items approved by the legislative council must go before the state education commissioner for final approval.

Previously, section 1204 of the UIL's Constitution and Contest Rules stated that, unless otherwise mutually agreed, schools were to use officials registered with the Texas Association of Sports Officials, known as TASO, for varsity team sports contests. TASO has been a part of the UIL constitution for 33 years.

The UIL also approved a fee increase for officials in all sports. Both measures will go into effect in the summer of 2010.

The council also approved several other measures, including extending pre-determined sites for state football championship games to all classifications. Currently, only Class 5A has its Division I and Division II championship games played at a predetermined site (this season it is at San Antonio's Alamodome), but starting in the 2010 football season, the UIL will select the sites for each championship football game from Class 4A all the way down to Class 1A and six-man.

In track and field, the UIL increased the number of competitors in each state championship event to nine. Previously, there were eight participants in each event at the state track and field meet in each classification: the top two finishers from each of the four regional meets. The ninth competitor will be selected by the best time or mark that wasn't in the top two in one of the four regions.

In football, the council approved a proposal to allow incoming seventh and eighth grade football players to be a part of its high school's summer strength and conditioning program. Currently, those programs are limited to students in grades 9-12.

Football coaches will also now be afforded some flexibility on when to hold their summer strength and conditioning programs. Currently, those must end in mid-July. Effective immediately, coaches will be able to designate a start and end date of their own, not to exceed six weeks, for their strength and conditioning program.

On Sunday, the results of a referendum ballot on split-conference alignment for Class 2A schools was also unveiled. The 2A schools voted 121-75 in favor of a split-conference alignment for football, which would separate 2A into Division I and Division II based on enrollment prior to the season, rather than after the regular season. That setup is used in Class 1A six-man and 11-man football.

Class 2A will begin its split-conference alignment, which places 16 districts in Division I and 16 districts in Division II prior to the regular season, in time for the 2010 football season.

[email protected]

To put it simply, TASO is an organization of officials run by officials that understand what it takes to train and schedule all of the games in all sports in Texas. UIL will have to prove it will do training, and have our back when it comes to problems. There have been demands that TASO or SOA before that have ask for to continue officiating contest such as, security for officials, fair pay, and even an objective look at things such as coaches ejections. The UIL works for the schools and the schools is whom we work for as an official. It's way more than just pay. Would you want a qualified official or crew doing your playoff game or just some guys who are buddies with someone at UIL? Unless you are an official or know some guys that are, it is hard to really understand. I love umpiring games and I am sure I will continue to do so unless it is more of a hassle than fun. I do not want to see the kids hurt because of this but If it comes down to it, I could be quitting also

Very sad to see the end of High School sports (as we know it) in Texas. As an experienced official in faseball and football I can tell you that I refuse to be strong armed by the UIL. I can also tell you ther are MANY of my brothers that feel the same way. But at least the guys that have been trying to get on a varsity field for years but weren't qualified will now get their chance. Looks like I get to start bow hunting next year!

As one who as officiated at the high school level in football, basketball, and baseball in both Texas and Louisiana I can attest to the fact that things will be different starting in the fall of 2010 when all of these changes become mandatory. It was also nice to know that when I called games for TASO and before, SOA, that someone had my back if there was a conflict with coaches or schools. During my years officiating in Texas I have always felt that there was someone to support my interests.

Louisiana works under a similar situation to what the UIL desires here in Texas. The LHSAA governs all of the sports and officials across the border. During my years in Louisiana there always seemed to be a push back between the association that I worked in and the state. Push back is not great when it is with the people that are supposed to be representing your interests. The training and rule teaching that was conducted in Louisiana was inconvenient and difficult for most officials to attend. In short, it was an unfriendly environment to work in and led to me taking a hiatus from officiating for several years.

Upon my return to Texas and to officiating, it was great to be a part of TASO and work with officials that strove to get better each game. Like Mrump1, I enjoy calling games and have no plans of quitting, but I hope that if everything changes like the UIL desires, that they will give officials what they are promising. We want training and education that help us elevate the level of officiating across the state. Most of us do not do it for the money, but we want to be respected and help provide a safe and fair environment on fields across the state. Aside from respect, we also want to be compensated fairly for the time that we put in. It is expensive to officiate. Most guys that do baseball easily have over $1000 invested in equipment and uniforms...some have 3 and 4 times that invested.

[quote name="teeboan" post="686912" timestamp="1256590422"]
Very sad to see the end of High School sports (as we know it) in Texas. As an experienced official in faseball and football I can tell you that I refuse to be strong armed by the UIL. I can also tell you ther are MANY of my brothers that feel the same way. But at least the guys that have been trying to get on a varsity field for years but weren't qualified will now get their chance. Looks like I get to start bow hunting next year!
[/quote]

I think that TEE hit it right that there will be some guys that do not belong on a varsity field that will and it is not going to be a pretty site. I think one of the ways maybe this gets worked out some is if the coaches really complain to the UIL. The coaches from both schools agree on officials and if they agree it shouldn't matter what association they are with. Tee you know i will call with you anytime.

The council unanimously passed a measure to have the Conference 1A - 4A football state championships at pre-determined sites beginning in the 2010-11 school year. The UIL has determined the site for the Conference 5A state football championships since 2006, and both games are televised. Schools involved in the games will continue to make all decisions regarding the games other than the site and time of game.

Arp head football coach Dale Irwin likes the decision, "I think it's a good thing, it should help someone like us a little more, because we'll be competing against teams with similar enrollment---especially during the playoff," Irwin added, "I think it will even the playing field for a lot
of programs."

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="687236" timestamp="1256605898"]
[quote author=teeboan link=topic=61357.msg686912#msg686912 date=1256590422]
[/quote]

I think that TEE hit it right that there will be some guys that do not belong on a varsity field that will and it is not going to be a pretty site. I think one of the ways maybe this gets worked out some is if the coaches really complain to the UIL. The coaches from both schools agree on officials and if they agree it shouldn't matter what association they are with. Tee you know i will call with you anytime.
[/quote]

Even after my uh-oh in Humble during playoffs? Thanks you're the man! We talked about it at our football meeting last night. looks like the majority feel the same way I do. Also the San Antone, Dallas/Fort Worth, Lufkin and Houston chapters. Looks like football will be going from 5 experienced officials on the field to maybe 2 men??? Or maybe the UIL has a crack staff of officials trained and waiting in the wings..At least we have one more baseball season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder