KFDM Sports - WOS football player, two other students suspended

ljeicp08

??? We never had any issues exploited like this when I was in school, but we didnt have cell phones yet either. Dont know what happened so im not going to speculate. As far as someone saying school's shouldnt have authority over non school activities, but some people need to realize it might be the only authority figure they have and an education doesnt just mean math or grammar it also means dicipline and guidance for your adulthood. JMO.

So how do you determine if the school should or shouldn't be involved? In this case the parents are very involved. Are you wanting the school to discipline over the parents? If not where do you draw the line. We can't have it both ways. You can't have the school determine if they are the only authority or not, or if the parent isn't making the right choice for the child. I have to say I disagree with what you are saying. The school is responsible for discipline at school and at school functions and or events not what happens at home or away from campus on the weekends. Now code of conduct policies I do understand. However, I also believe in the fact that the government already has too much power. Less is more.

TD.....I'm 100% in agreement!  The schools job ends when the school bell rings!  If the parents are not involved, thats sad, but none of the schools business!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

??? We never had any issues exploited like this when I was in school, but we didnt have cell phones yet either. Dont know what happened so im not going to speculate. As far as someone saying school's shouldnt have authority over non school activities, but some people need to realize it might be the only authority figure they have and an education doesnt just mean math or grammar it also means dicipline and guidance for your adulthood. JMO.

So how do you determine if the school should or shouldn't be involved? In this case the parents are very involved. Are you wanting the school to discipline over the parents? If not where do you draw the line. We can't have it both ways. You can't have the school determine if they are the only authority or not, or if the parent isn't making the right choice for the child. I have to say I disagree with what you are saying. The school is responsible for discipline at school and at school functions and or events not what happens at home or away from campus on the weekends. Now code of conduct policies I do understand. However, I also believe in the fact that the government already has too much power. Less is more.

TD.....I'm 100% in agreement!  The schools job ends when the school bell rings!  If the parents are not involved, thats sad, but none of the schools business!

Agreed

TD,

I think this is what gets you:

· Cell phones or any device that permits recording the voice or image of another in any way that either disrupts the

educational environment, invades the privacy of others, or is made without the prior consent of the individuals

being recorded is prohibited.

This does not apply with respect to why the suspension was made.

I agree. It doesn't apply.

And in this case they are very involved. Very good kids and good parents.

Well we didnt have to worry about the school or our parents, it was coach T. That man found out what we did everytime we did it. If we went to a party on a Sat night, he knew on Monday and believe me, we had to pay. Of course it didnthelp that I was running with his son either. haha

Same thing with Coach Andy but that was a Coach personally handling a code of conduct situation. Not a school board.........

that man still scares me!  :o

Since nobody is saying what happened is making this situation worse.  I just found out what happened.  That is not what I was thinking while reading 9 pages of this.  This issue needs to be addressed or people (like I and others who I've spoken to) will start thinking other more serious things took place. 

Also Kicker, there was cell phones when you were in school.  They couldn't do anything but call people and play the snake game.

There are circumstances that apply to after the bell, especially if you wear any type of school sponsored uniform.  A couple of years ago, several WB softball players showed up at an off-campus fight that was shown on you-tube and eventually made its way into mainstream media.  They were wearing game day jerseys, and  just being present brought them a week long suspension from playing.  This not only applied to the girls that were on camera in the background, but to all of those wearing jerseys that admitted to being there. Agree or disagree, but the enforcement sent a message to all students that represent the school to be careful where they choose to be seen.

There are circumstances that apply to after the bell, especially if you wear any type of school sponsored uniform.  A couple of years ago, several WB softball players showed up at an off-campus fight that was shown on you-tube and eventually made its way into mainstream media.  They were wearing game day jerseys, and  just being present brought them a week long suspension from playing.  This not only applied to the girls that were on camera in the background, but to all of those wearing jerseys that admitted to being there. Agree or disagree, but the enforcement sent a message to all students that represent the school to be careful where they choose to be seen.

Weed, I should have been more specific in my post.  If students are stupid enough to go off campus representing their school, then they invite the school to get involved.  I was mainly addressing off campus mischief when the students are not representing their school.  ie.........house wrapping, a party, emails between friends, etc.....

There are circumstances that apply to after the bell, especially if you wear any type of school sponsored uniform.  A couple of years ago, several WB softball players showed up at an off-campus fight that was shown on you-tube and eventually made its way into mainstream media.  They were wearing game day jerseys, and  just being present brought them a week long suspension from playing.  This not only applied to the girls that were on camera in the background, but to all of those wearing jerseys that admitted to being there. Agree or disagree, but the enforcement sent a message to all students that represent the school to be careful where they choose to be seen.

Weed, I should have been more specific in my post.  If students are stupid enough to go off campus representing their school, then they invite the school to get involved.  I was mainly addressing off campus mischief when the students are not representing their school.  ie.........house wrapping, a party, emails between friends, etc.....

I agree---good post--and good contribution to get this to the next page. LOL

Moderators and/or administrators at work again!   :-*

Pardon, your very post on this site is to comment on the mods/admins?  You need to be a little more careful.

I think it is someone using a fake name and taking sniper shots. Yet again.

Moderators and/or administrators at work again!   :-*

Pardon, your very post on this site is to comment on the mods/admins?  You need to be a little more careful.

I think it is someone using a fake name and taking sniper shots. Yet again.

No sniper shots, no fake name, new poster who reads alot.

Earlier Aggiearewe posted something and compared this to the rape thing in Silsbee.  This does not even come close.  I feel sorry for the young people involved in both of these situations, but you can't even compare.  I cannot imagine what the poeple in the situation in Silsbee think about being drug into this crap.

Now I replied with:   

Rape = Cell phone pictures you have to be kidding!

Post was deleted quickly.

Mods and/or Admins at work again!

I think you miss AAW's point I don't think he was comparing the two instances but merely the fact that the names in one case were brought at age 17 and inthe other they aren't being brought out at the same age.

Not talking about him the whole situation is completely blown up. Like a mountain from a mole hill or an 18 wheeler from a ranger.

The article in the newspaper today only mentioned the football player and that the incident happened on Monday that was a violation of school policy. The player was not suspended from school but the principal NOT Coach Hooks suspended him from the football game. No mention of other students. So how does a violation of school policy only get you suspended from a football game but not school?  Makes no sense to me.