WOS vs. Silsbee/Silsbee wins 13-7/Comments

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so proud of the Tiger players and coaches. You guys did what you had to do in conditions that did not suit the type of team that we are, a finesse team. Coming into this game we had passed for 75% (1,190) of our total offensive yards while only rushing for 371 yards in 5 games(avg. 74 a game). Obviously the conditions was not condusive to a passing game Friday night and the Silsbee coaches adjusted to this very well. We did complete a few critical passes in the first half that helped keep the drives going but in the end it was the Tiger rushing attack that led the way on offense. It is the first time this year that Silsbee had more rushing yards (120) than passing yards (95). Kudos to the players and coaches for making these adjustments and executing them on a field that was not going to allow for a good offensive night.

The Tiger defense was phenomenal!!! Holding WOS to just 65 total yards, 45 in the first half, only 20 in the second half, proved that you guys can play with the best of them and showed at least for that night, who is the best defense in 21-3A. WOS never really adjusted well to the conditions and Silsbee's defense made sure they paid for it. The defense has played very well for the last 4 weeks and they seem to be getting better and better as the season goes along. They are the team's strength as of now.

I really believe that the last 4 weeks has showed that the Tigers are building their way to peak at the right time and I really believe that Silsbee can make a good run in the playoffs. We still have 4 district games to win to get that coveted district title that we wanted so bad last year. Let's take care of business the rest of the district and be on a roll going into the playoffs.

Again, congrats Silsbee on a very sweet win and let's take it up some more through the rest of district play.

aggie, i need to ask you this,when you guys win dist  will you be in D1 are D2 if you are in D1 that should match you up with gilmer right ,if thats the case best of luck

Silsbee is DI regardless of if we are 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in district.

As for Gilmer, as long as Chapel Hill doesn't make the playoffs, then Gilmer will be DI. But if Chapel Hill makes the playoffs, Gilmer goes DII.

According to some folks in the know about 17-3A, they think Chapel Hill will make the playoffs and face Jasper in the first round.

aggie, i need to ask you this,when you guys win dist  will you be in D1 are D2 if you are in D1 that should match you up with gilmer right ,if thats the case best of luck

Silsbee is DI regardless of if we are 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in district.

As for Gilmer, as long as Chapel Hill doesn't make the playoffs, then Gilmer will be DI. But if Chapel Hill makes the playoffs, Gilmer goes DII.

According to some folks in the know about 17-3A, they think Chapel Hill will make the playoffs and face Jasper in the first round.

personally i think Tatum beats Chapel Hill. that would put us D1. thats the game that will decide where we play. as for us i don't think it matters.............just trying to get to playoffs injury free.

Man i just wish these two good teams could play on a clear night for once so we can see some talent shine! WOS made too many mistakes and silsbee capitalized! Good win tigers! Now toby needs to get to work on the offense cause the defense is busting their butts to get nothing in return! Its just flat out ridiculous to have that much talent on an offense and not put any points on the board! Ridiculous!

Man i just wish these two good teams could play on a clear night for once so we can see some talent shine! WOS made too many mistakes and silsbee capitalized! Good win tigers! Now toby needs to get to work on the offense cause the defense is busting their butts to get nothing in return! Its just flat out ridiculous to have that much talent on an offense and not put any points on the board! Ridiculous!

There was one TD for each team as a result of the other teams mistake.  Silsbee scored the other TD on their opening drive no mistake needed.

There was one TD for each team as a result of the other teams mistake.  Silsbee scored the other TD on their opening drive no mistake needed.

You may need to rethink that... Did you forget that Silsbee missed a 40 yd field goal on that drive? The ball should have gone over to us, but we roughed the holder. 15 yarder and first down and Johnson scored on the next play. Very un-discipline mistake on our part and Johnson made us pay.

you are right there but I guess I wasn't considering penalties a mistake.  But yes you could consider that a mental mistake.  But if you look at it like that we only stopped ourselves on a couple of drives deep in Mustang territory.  Yes they were caused by the weather but they were still our mistakes.  Taking advantage of mistakes is a big part of a football game.

you are right there but I guess I wasn't considering penalties a mistake.  But yes you could consider that a mental mistake.  But if you look at it like that we only stopped ourselves on a couple of drives deep in Mustang territory.  Yes they were caused by the weather but they were still our mistakes.  Taking advantage of mistakes is a big part of a football game.

Taking advantage of mistakes is a huge part of the game. Just like I mentioned. The WOS defense had a whole bunch to do with your mistakes in our territory, too. I never said anything to the contrary. You posted that you marched right down the field and scored with no help from us, that wasn't true. The penalty on the missed field goal was a HUGE turning point early in the game. Silsbee did what good teams do and made us pay for it.

I don't feel the defense had anything to do with the ball coming out of the centers hands on a snap before he even got it off the ground.  However they did recover it.  As well as the other snap I believe it was low and mishandled causing us a big loss.  We have had some snap issues all year long, but considering the weather this game wa a little better in my opinion. We also had a bad snap on the last field goal attempt. (That one had me a little worried before the play even happened)  The penalty like I said could be considered a mental mistake I just felt like he was being aggressive and just missed blocking the kick.  Maybe too aggressive but more unfortunate.  If he had came in late with no chance on blocking it I would consider it more of a mistake.

Not taking anything at all away from the tigers win! But ya'll scored off of our fumble in our own territory and cause we roughed ya'lls kicker! So both of the tigers scores were off of our mistakes! But i credit ya'll for capitalizing! But like mustang02 said in another post! The mustangs have to change something offensively!

Good job Silsbee on beating my Mustangs.  

The sloppy field conditions affected both teams. Silsbee had two costly turnovers or they could have scored at least one more TD in the first half.  WO-S was fortunate to score at all.  The offense is in really bad shape.  It's not play selection.  It's a lack of concentration (dropped passes, penalties, fumbled snaps) and execution that has doomed us all season.  Up to this point, I've understood and agreed with the decision to pace the number of plays on offense of our two studs (Franks & Haynes) because both are much needed on the defense.  However, I hope to see more of them on offense because it's getting a bit desperate.  Our offense badly needs a shot in the arm.

Even with all of this said, I give full credit to Silsbee for winning this game.  Congratulations on snapping the WO-S district win streak and for becoming the frontrunner to win 21-3A.  You've earned it.    

Griff I agree competly.I have not read all the post (going on 22 pages ) and I don't intend to.Silsbee handled the conditions a lot better than wo-s.I'm afraid if it had been dry the outcome would have been the same except Silsbee would have scored more.

I have been saying all year that I didn't buy into the wo-s hype.If they were that good it would have shown and it hasn't.WO-S has real problems on offense and their defense is keeping them in games.Let's get our playmakers on offense and see what happens.

Oh,congrats to Silsbee on the win.

Great post. I don't believe WOS is as bad as most of their own fans feel they are. Silsbee's offense has had some of the same problems so far this year. But we have both played a very tough jasper defense and Silsbee's defense has been very strong lately so WOS will be just fine in my opinion.