Newton Defense ?

What has happened to the Newton Defense ? They have always been the backbone of one of the most successful programs in SE Texas. They have given up way to many points and big plays. To give up 40 to Orangefield is unforgivable. Coach Barbay must be going crazy. Heads will roll. If they are to make a run, They must get a lot better.

What has happened to the Newton Defense ? They have always been the backbone of one of the most successful programs in SE Texas. They have given up way to many points and big plays. To give up 40 to Orangefield is unforgivable. Coach Barbay must be going crazy. Heads will roll. If they are to make a run, They must get a lot better.

yep

Im thinking the loss of WT has alot to do with it.

Im thinking the loss of WT has alot to do with it.

lots of people do not want to hear that.  but the truth is what it is

Before you guys panic, aren't ya'll just a week out from holding a pretty good Silsbee team to 20 points?  While OF hasn't played a schedule that has been as capable as Newton, nobody has stopped them, including Newton.  OF's QB is extremely good at running the shallow back offense.  So good in fact that the ref's whistled the play dead on 2 seperate occasions because his fakes were that good. Meanwhile he was running around the outside. You don't average 400 yards a game on the ground over 5 games for no reason.

Guest bleed orange

Before you guys panic, aren't ya'll just a week out from holding a pretty good Silsbee team to 20 points?  While OF hasn't played a schedule that has been as capable as Newton, nobody has stopped them, including Newton.  OF's QB is extremely good at running the shallow back offense.  So good in fact that the ref's whistled the play dead on 2 seperate occasions because his fakes were that good. Meanwhile he was running around the outside. You don't average 400 yards a game on the ground over 5 games for no reason.

Good post.

Guest EagleFan01

Before you guys panic, aren't ya'll just a week out from holding a pretty good Silsbee team to 20 points?  While OF hasn't played a schedule that has been as capable as Newton, nobody has stopped them, including Newton.  OF's QB is extremely good at running the shallow back offense.  So good in fact that the ref's whistled the play dead on 2 separate occasions because his fakes were that good. Meanwhile he was running around the outside. You don't average 400 yards a game on the ground over 5 games for no reason.

Thank You, Newton DC is making adjustments every game and during the game at that. The defense played alot better in the second half of the OF game only gave up 16 points in the second half. Orangefield runs that wing T better than anyone  I have seen in a while run it. It was very smooth. Now even with giving up that 40 points Newton's defense is still only giving up around 18 to 20 points a game. There average well over 40 on offense. If you can double on offense what your defense gives up you can have a successful year. Newton has played fairly well on defense, six turnovers against a explosive Silsbee team and the defense held them to just 20 points. Diboll another explosive team that gave silsbee fits we only gave up 20 to those guys. EC we held to 7, and another very good corrigan team who runs the wing T we give up only 21 so they will be just fine on defense, it is Hatton's first year at the helm give him time to adjust folks. WT's first games as the DC wasn't very grand either give the man a chance to do his thing he is a very good coach who learned from coach johnston he will just fine.

It's true as fans (and former players) we at Newton are probably spoiled and have high expectations that our team play well week in and week out. And unrealistic or not we don't think about will we win district or not, it's about how deep in the playoffs we will go. That's assuming an awful lot by us. This probably makes us more critical when we think that certain parts of our game are hurting our chances to do this. I'm guilty as charged. But having the experience of playing in so many playoff games and only winning state 3 times we may also have a little better understanding of what it takes to get to that magical pinnacle.

Before you guys panic, aren't ya'll just a week out from holding a pretty good Silsbee team to 20 points?  While OF hasn't played a schedule that has been as capable as Newton, nobody has stopped them, including Newton.  OF's QB is extremely good at running the shallow back offense.  So good in fact that the ref's whistled the play dead on 2 separate occasions because his fakes were that good. Meanwhile he was running around the outside. You don't average 400 yards a game on the ground over 5 games for no reason.

Thank You, Newton DC is making adjustments every game and during the game at that. The defense played alot better in the second half of the OF game only gave up 16 points in the second half. Orangefield runs that wing T better than anyone  I have seen in a while run it. It was very smooth. Now even with giving up that 40 points Newton's defense is still only giving up around 18 to 20 points a game. There average well over 40 on offense. If you can double on offense what your defense gives up you can have a successful year. Newton has played fairly well on defense, six turnovers against a explosive Silsbee team and the defense held them to just 20 points. Diboll another explosive team that gave silsbee fits we only gave up 20 to those guys. EC we held to 7, and another very good corrigan team who runs the wing T we give up only 21 so they will be just fine on defense, it is Hatton's first year at the helm give him time to adjust folks. WT's first games as the DC wasn't very grand either give the man a chance to do his thing he is a very good coach who learned from coach johnston he will just fine.

Have you seen VIDOR run it?

It's true as fans (and former players) we at Newton are probably spoiled and have high expectations that our team play well week in and week out. And unrealistic or not we don't think about will we win district or not, it's about how deep in the playoffs we will go. That's assuming an awful lot by us. This probably makes us more critical when we think that certain parts of our game are hurting our chances to do this. I'm guilty as charged. But having the experience of playing in so many playoff games and only winning state 3 times we may also have a little better understanding of what it takes to get to that magical pinnacle.

[/quotE good  post 

[/quotE good  post 

well stated :)

To be honest the 40 points had more to do with OF's offense than Newton's D.

Thank You Hotrodg. It seems that a lot of people just want to dump on the Eagles "D", The Eagles Are After All, 5 and 0 this season. The "D" may be bending, but it ain't broke. The Eagles have put 217 points on the board so far, and given up 109; while being held under 32 points once ( by Silsbee's "D" ) and allowing more than 21 once ( to the Orangefield "O" ). I Guess Being Undefeated Isn't Enough For Some People. This Eagles Team is Working Hard and They Never Quit, That is all Anyone Can Ask From these Young Men. JMO

If "dumping on" the D is what you call what Coach Barbay has said in public, so be it. Come to the quarterback club meetings and listen.

I do make the meetings and I do listen. The Coach never slams his team in an online forum and neither should the fans. The Players do read what is said about them and their Coaches on this site.

If "dumping on" the D is what you call what Coach Barbay has said in public, so be it. Come to the quarterback club meetings and listen.

I do make the meetings and I do listen. The Coach never slams his team in an online forum and neither should the fans. The Players do read what is said about them and their Coaches on this site.

My mistake. Newton is the greatest team ever and will never lose another game because we have the best defense in the world. I don't think there has been any kids slammed.

My mistake. Newton is the greatest team ever and will never lose another game because we have the best defense in the world. I don't think there has been any kids slammed.

Calling out a Coach out by Name is what I was objecting to. If Players see their Coach disrespected, it makes it next to impossible for that Coach to get the Players to buy in to what he is trying to get them to do. I never said that Newton was the greatest team ever or that they would never lose another game, I said that the Players are working hard and they never quit, that's all they can do. Undermining a Coach, undermines the team, the Coaching Team.

Now that you have said what you mean, I have no problem with what you have said. Saying that the defense is not adjusting and playing well I think is still OK. If the defense continues to give up points and yardage at the current rate we will not go far in the playoffs. This is not dumping on or running down the kids. This is my opinion. I think the old saying defenses win championships is absolutely true. I'm also very aware from personal experience that it is easier to sit in the stands and say what is happening than to be on the field and trying to do something about what is happening.

Now that you have said what you mean, I have no problem with what you have said. Saying that the defense is not adjusting and playing well I think is still OK. If the defense continues to give up points and yardage at the current rate we will not go far in the playoffs. This is not dumping on or running down the kids. This is my opinion. I think the old saying defenses win championships is absolutely true. I'm also very aware from personal experience that it is easier to sit in the stands and say what is happening than to be on the field and trying to do something about what is happening.

Sorry if I made You think that my remarks included Your comments, I really was addressing some different posters. I agree with You that the team has some work ahead of it, in order to get where we all would like them to be.....Deep in the Playoffs...... I think they will deal with the changes, given time. I Believe These Players Will Rise to the Level of Expectation, Their too Proud of the Newton Football Tradition not to. As for sitting in the stands being easier, ain't that the truth.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476