Any news on LU Softball Program

Guest coachacola

They decided against it... I think they are going to do womens lacrosse...  Less start up costs and they can use the new facilities at the womens soccer field.. :)

You're kidding, right?  A few months ago Tubbs said they were running behind in getting the softball program going but he said nothing about having lacrosse instead.  The field house they are building next to the soccer field is for both soccer and softball.

From the Beaumont Enterprise back in June:

Lamar is also planning to add women's softball in 2010-11 to be fully compliant with national gender equity laws (Title IX).

That facility is planned to be constructed next to the soccer complex.

"We should have a softball team for 2010-11," said Lamar athletics director Billy Tubbs, adding that soccer will be a higher priority because it's already established.

"We're a little behind on softball."

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/lamar/lamar_soccer_complex_soon_to_be_under_construction_06-11-2009.html

Guest coachacola

I figured you were but you never know.  I think with the talent in the area and with all the softball tourneys they have at the Ford Fields Lamar should be able to put together a good team fairly quickly if they try.

With 15,000 students registered in the fall you would think that women's softball will be on its way back in the next year are so.

I do not see complete credibility in those numbers for athletic purposes, if not all students (the 3k-5k who are through that online teaching program/whatever) are paying student fees pertaining to athletics. Didn't we come to that conclusion - that athletic fees were not coming from those students?

I agree.. Have the announced the 3rd womens sport that is gonna be added??? Bowling or swiming

With SFA and SHSU adding bowling - you guys are next! Hope UCA adds as well. Then, we can get Ark St and La Tech as affiliate members for SLC bowling!

Or are you going to add sand volleyball? I think that most the SLC is.

With 15,000 students registered in the fall you would think that women's softball will be on its way back in the next year are so.

I do not see complete credibility in those numbers for athletic purposes, if not all students (the 3k-5k who are through that online teaching program/whatever) are paying student fees pertaining to athletics. Didn't we come to that conclusion - that athletic fees were not coming from those students?

I agree.. Have the announced the 3rd womens sport that is gonna be added??? Bowling or swiming

With SFA and SHSU adding bowling - you guys are next! Hope UCA adds as well. Then, we can get Ark St and La Tech as affiliate members for SLC bowling!

I would much rather see women playing sand volleyball than bowling, but that's just me.

Guest coachacola

I would much rather see women playing sand volleyball than bowling, but that's just me.

I saw college women's bowling on ESPNU or some other channel last year and...well...sand volleyball is definitely more appealing.

Guest coachacola

Billy Tubbs today:

Tubbs said the NCAA liked the university's plan to add more sports in the future to continue its Title IX requirements. Tubbs said LU still has the 2010-11 school year as the target date for adding softball and bowling and swimming are "on the drawing board."

Softball will be the first new sport to be added, Tubbs said, and would begin play in 2011-12 at the latest.

"The slow economy has hurt us some on our schedule," Tubbs said.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/lu_athletics_stay_ncaa_compliant.html

All students - even online students pay the athletic fees. Th number is credible.

All students - even online students pay the athletic fees. Th number is credible.

Can you provide proof?

Trying to find something on this page (

This is the hidden content, please
) from the Center for Distance Education. All "on-campus"-type fees (i.e. Student Health Center, Rec Center, Setzer Center) are removed for those who only take distance classes. Would have to assume athletics is included since that's an "on-campus" type fee.

Then again, the student service fee was on there last year and that is where athletics fee typically comes from. Now, is it different that athletics has their own fee separate from that?

Can you provide proof?

Trying to find something on this page (

This is the hidden content, please
) from the Center for Distance Education. All "on-campus"-type fees (i.e. Student Health Center, Rec Center, Setzer Center) are removed for those who only take distance classes. Would have to assume athletics is included since that's an "on-campus" type fee.

Then again, the student service fee was on there last year and that is where athletics fee typically comes from. Now, is it different that athletics has their own fee separate from that?

I completed my last semester fully online and never spent a day in a classroom. I paid every last fee listed. The way it was explained to me was the definition of distance learning classes at the time (maybe that changed this year). In any case if the class was offered online and in a classroom you pay the fee. If it is only offered online no fee. Make sense?

• 2 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder