Biggest powerhouse in area?

Who has had the most success in their sport?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who has had the most success in their sport?

• Ozen Basketball
    • WOS Football
    • Dayton Football
    • Silsbee Basketball
    • Central Track
    • HJ Basketball
    • other

uh...Baytown Sterling Water Polo both girls and boys...you can say what you want about water polo but they win state championships on a yearly basis...

of course, for those of yall that dont consider Baytown Southeast Texas then this doesn't matter, but for the others then there is no other program that is anywhere near as dominate...might be the most dominate program of any sport at any school in the state....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is HJ basketball ahead of Ozen???

Homers. We all know HJ wouldn't fare well if Central and Ozen were in their district. Not saying they wouldn't slip one in occasionally but they'd be third year in and year out.

What if HJ had another 500 enrollment?

Is it still true than anyone in BISD can attend Ozen? If so that would mean they are selecting a BB team from nearly 6000 students.

yes this is true

Central Track has been dominant in this area year in and year out for years but they don't get the publicity...  So if you go by what we know and factor let's say ten years because Ozen wasn't open before then and Dayton had not yet become powerful....  

Kountze Basketball is pretty powerful on its level and to me edges out HJ.. But Ozen is above it because Kountze would not have beat any of those Ozen teams head up...  WOS football is king here and probably pushes out the most next level talent, but still has yet to dominate 3A since it dropped...  Westbrook football is pushing blue chippers out the door but 5A competition is so stiff...  So if everyone here was honest with themselves it would go like this (in Order):

WOS Football

Ozen Basketball

Kountze Basketball

Dayton Football

Central Track

HJ Basketball

Westbrook Football

Newton Football

Nederland & PNG baseball tie

Silsbee Basketball

Short, if you are just factoring the last 10 years like you said in the beginning of your post, then I would say Newton has been the most powerful in football over these last 10 years.

I don't think the question was how these teams would fair in head to head matchups, but how powerful and successful they are in their own sport and classification.

I went ten years because it is so hard to count life time... And I had the hardest trouble placing Newton...  They have been pretty powerful at their level, but it was their level that influenced my pick...  In all honesty they have had more overall success than WOS in the last ten years...  But that would start an argument that I did not want to get into!The crazy thing is the Ozen equation...  They have been in Big School competition with four state apperences, one championship, and 5 other regional finals in 2000's...  That is a stat line to reckon with.

Thus far Ozen Basketball followed closely by Dayton Football.

How do you put Dayton football above wos football?

The big question is 'what have you done for me lately'.  When was the last time they have been to State?  Yes, they do run through the regular season like a fat person through a buffet, but what happens in the playoffs?  Dayton have been doing good!  They even made a very deep run with a backup QB.  When the Blue chipper QB came back from Injury, they went on to march to state. 

13 years in a row

Yes but count state championships. Or playoff appearances for the past 10 years.

I went ten years because it is so hard to count life time... And I had the hardest trouble placing Newton...  They have been pretty powerful at their level, but it was their level that influenced my pick...  In all honesty they have had more overall success than WOS in the last ten years...  But that would start an argument that I did not want to get into!The crazy thing is the Ozen equation...  They have been in Big School competition with four state apperences, one championship, and 5 other regional finals in 2000's...  That is a stat line to reckon with.

2 of Newton's 3 state championships were in class 3A. In 1998 Newton was the 5th smallest school in all of 3a, not just the playoffs, and won the championship. Have consistently won against larger classifications including Ozen, Nederland, Lumberton, Silsbee, etc. Haven't won all games against these schools, so can't claim domination. WO has owned Newton, but few others have had the playoff success that Newton has.

Guest EagleFan01

Central Track has been dominant in this area year in and year out for years but they don't get the publicity...  So if you go by what we know and factor let's say ten years because Ozen wasn't open before then and Dayton had not yet become powerful....  

Kountze Basketball is pretty powerful on its level and to me edges out HJ.. But Ozen is above it because Kountze would not have beat any of those Ozen teams head up...  WOS football is king here and probably pushes out the most next level talent, but still has yet to dominate 3A since it dropped...  Westbrook football is pushing blue chippers out the door but 5A competition is so stiff...  So if everyone here was honest with themselves it would go like this (in Order):

WOS Football

Ozen Basketball

Kountze Basketball

Dayton Football

Central Track

HJ Basketball

Westbrook Football

Newton Football

Nederland & PNG baseball tie

Silsbee Basketball

That is a good point. But, what do you consider success, losing in the second or third round of the playoffs every year but pushing at next level talent in my eyes is not success. Newton has put out plenty of next level talent in the past years and is still making deeper runs into the playoffs including winning state titles. Nothing from WOS or Westbrook but there not winning when it counts (in the playoffs) and Newton does do this. Now Newton might not have kids going to Division I every year but if you ask Mcneese University they sure love all the talent from Newton that gets overlooked every year because of the school size. In my eyes I would say Newton dominates Football in SETX. WOS is a close 2nd and every other team in the area is a distant third fourth etc.

Just talking football. Wos and Hull-Daisetta have had the longest winning streaks in SE Texas. Both teams have won tons of gamed since their schools opened.H-D set a national record at one time with 43 straight wins.Also at one time H-D had a 7 straight season combined record of 63-4-1. At one time WOS in 10 straight seasons had a record of 104-15-2. WOW !! Also both teams have a State Championship. H-D has the only State title in Liberty County.  

Well i was wondering if anyone was going to mention Newton. Well I have to say if you look at Hooks Teams and Barbay Teams I would say that they are pretty even. Lets face it how many 4 or 5 a teams really wants to play either one of these teams. Answer very few !!!!!!!!!!!!!! But how many 4 or 5 A teams would these two teams play Answer ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND probably beat most of them.  

Well if I didn't succeed in my statement about Dayton LATELY I got some more voters to agree.This is season #14 for Stewart-DCTF has them in the semi-finals again in 2009.Silent network says he'll stay another 6 yrs.If his streak continues through 2014 maybe we can get some respect.Or maybe UIL will send us back to 20-4A and 15 -1  both years over there speaks for itself.The 1 loss 8-7.If you would like I will post the points scored and allowed for those 2 years.I am waiting to see who get's to go home 1st from 20-4a playoff's against the Broncos powerhouse this year.Nine (9) 2008 graduated Broncos were invited to play college ball.Somebody respects what they've done.

Well if I didn't succeed in my statement about Dayton LATELY I got some more voters to agree.This is season #14 for Stewart-DCTF has them in the semi-finals again in 2009.Silent network says he'll stay another 6 yrs.If his streak continues through 2014 maybe we can get some respect.Or maybe UIL will send us back to 20-4A and 15 -1  both years over there speaks for itself.The 1 loss 8-7.If you would like I will post the points scored and allowed for those 2 years.I am waiting to see who get's to go home 1st from 20-4a playoff's against the Broncos powerhouse this year.Nine (9) 2008 graduated Broncos were invited to play college ball.Somebody respects what they've done.

Nobodys talking down on Dayton but you'll haven't been as consistent as wos or newton if you go back more than 2 years.

For the last 10 years or so Dayton has had a great football program. I have got to tip my hat to them Broncos. But living in H-D Liberty County all my life, I remember Dayton for years and years being a door mat and one of the worst football programs in Texas. Basicly the Broncos were the laughing stock of Liberty County. On a positive note, the Broncos are winning and making Liberty County shine. Keep up your winning ways like as of late Dayton, who knows one day yall might be a known powerhouse like Hull-Daisetta and win State like them Bobcats. When you talk powerhouse you have to look at the teams full complete history, not just 10-12 good years.

WOS87 has put out some very interesting data on all local teams and really all you have to do is go and look at the playoff history. I think that is a pretty good gauge of what teams have accomplished. Newton's success is well documented there. Compared statewide, Newton does not need to be mentioned in the same breath as some programs, ie. Odessa Permian, Dallas Carter, even Sealy or Celina, but in Southeast Texas....

Just talking football. Wos and Hull-Daisetta have had the longest winning streaks in SE Texas. Both teams have won tons of gamed since their schools opened.H-D set a national record at one time with 43 straight wins.Also at one time H-D had a 7 straight season combined record of 63-4-1. At one time WOS in 10 straight seasons had a record of 104-15-2. WOW !! Also both teams have a State Championship. H-D has the only State title in Liberty County.  

So close Dayton. So dang close. ;D

So close Dayton. So dang close. ;D

Did you have anything to do with any of the state championships?

Since Coach Stewart arrived at DAYTON in 1996 he has taken the Broncos to 13 straight playoff berths w/last 2 yrs.back to back semi-final berths,losing to Austin Lake Travis-beating Kerrville Tivy,then losing to state champion Sulphur Springs,Setting the all-time scoring record for a 11 man state game.Dayton proved in 06-07 in 20-4A Who gonna whup dem broncos.1 loss by 1 point 8-7.Who out there in any sport can match this.If you go to the history site and tally points scored vs.points allowed since 2006 year you would vote Dayton.WOS has been the big daddy under all of Hooks career.Stewart has a better record hands down lately.

That was a awesome game all the way through i am glad i got the chance to watch it, i think Lumberton finally earned a little respect after that nail biting Duel. Wish i could make it to the scrimmage this weekend  good luck this year Broncos

Bottom line, when you are talking football, WOS has the highest winning percentage in the state of Texas across all classifications.  The were deemed the winningest football program in the state.  They are ranked 20th in the nation by winning percentage.  There were only 3 teams in the top 50 from Texas and none if the teams listed in this post were on there except WOS.  So with that said WOS is it period, you can't argue the facts.

Guest EagleFan01

All this discussion and the verdict is still out who is the bigger powerhouse? Yet all the discussion about Newton Football and they are still not on the list for the poll.... :o

Guest EagleFan01

Well Newton was the 6Th winningest team in the 90's in 3A and also one of the smallest teams in the classification for that decade. WOS puts up alot of wins every year no doubt about it but there not winning win it counts in late November and into December and that fact my friend you can't argue with. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder

• He's steadily improving rapidly. Not that your opinion matters much based on some of the wild projections you've made on this site 
    • Cohen……a lying, backstabbing pos who does nothing but lie every time he opens his mouth. Let him utter words the prosecution wants to hear, and we can convict. Cohen told his ex advisor that he wanted to kill himself. What a worldly loss that would be. Let anyone on this board be put through the wringer with false charges and lies like Trump has had to endure, and you would be screaming at the top of your lungs how illegal all of this is.
    • It was and remains perfectly timed and choregraphed Kangaroo Court, whatever Cohen just said or lied about.  Face it, under Soros installed Biden and Merrick Garland, the USA is now officially a Bananna Republic with a Goverment that weaponizes itself against and destroys its political rivals. Putin and Xi are SO proud!  Dang I miss Democracy.       
    • I haven’t been watching closely, but even the liberal sources even tell the story as “the defense really took apart Cohen’s testimony on Thursday.” It sounds like sloppy work from the prosecution to point out a specific call as being “the one,” when it was easily concluded that this particular call could not have occurred the way that Cohen (and the prosecution) claim it to have happened.    The bad news is that I doubt that it matters much-I suspect that most jurors minds were closed before testimony started.   I don’t see Trump leaving with anything less than a conviction based on the venue (NYC).
    • Tough case all the way around.  The guy had a lot of online activity come out where he made racist statements and statements about killing BLM protesters and looters.  So when he then goes out and does it, it looks really bad.  I've seen a lot of videos where people have driven through protestors, defended themselves against them, etc., and didn't bat an eye.  This feels different, but that doesn't necessarily make it murder, either.  His account of the events that happened vs. the witness accounts were both very different, but I'd also expect both sides' accounts to be self-serving and inaccurate to fit their narrative.  Not really sure what to think on this one.  
  • Topics