Vidor Pirates amped up in early practices

Vidor Pirates amped up in early practices

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

VIDOR — They knocked on the playoff door last year, but the Vidor Pirates couldn’t quite enter.

This year, with 18 starters back from a solid 5-4 unit, Vidor and long-time head coach Jeff Mathews looks to storm into the postseason for the first time since 2000.

If the first week of practice is any indication, the Pirates want to put a nice stamp on the 2009 campaign.

“I tell you, our kids have been up here getting after it the whole summer,†said Mathews. “They’ve gotten stronger and faster. The best thing has been their attitudes. They came in Monday and were so hungry and ready to get to work.â€

Of course, the first day of full-pad workouts start today, something that will be a big relief for Mathews and his staff.

“In my 17 years in coaching, I don’t think I’ve ever had to tell kids to slow down,†said Mathews. “They’ve been out here in just t-shirts and helmets and they’re going at one another. We’re already getting guys with bruises. We’ve really had to reel them in. They can't wait for Friday.â€

The Pirates have two scrimmages slated.

They will visit Orangefield Aug. 15 with the freshmen and JV starting at 9 a.m. followed by the varsity at10 a.m. The Pirates will host West Orange-Stark Aug. 21 with the freshmen starting at 5 p.m. followed by the junior varsity(6 p.m.) and varsity.

“We like our two scrimmages,†said Mathews. “We match up with Orangefield well because we run similar base stuff, especially on offense. West Orange will be such a challenge. We meet fast teams in District 20-4A but we probably want see a faster team than West Orange. They’ve been fast over the years but this group might be their fastest ever.â€

Mathews feels the Pirates will be up for the 20-4A challenges.

“Every game in our district is such a test,†said Mathews. “You've got to be both mentally and physically sound in all aspects of the game and we think the kids will get to that point. It’s still early but we’ve got the makings of a good team.â€

The Pirates open the regular season on the road at Beaumont Kelly Aug. 28.

Guest pirates

Vidor loses alot of talent after this season. Therefore they better win it this year.

On the surface your correct.  I can tell you this, the coaching staff are just as fired up about the underclass men as they are about the seniors.  From what they say, "if everything works out, next years team will be better than this year".  I keep hearing about the freshman group this year, they are bigger, makes you think about Vidor teams of the 70's and 80's.  They just keep coming.

Vidor loses alot of talent after this season. Therefore they better win it this year.

On the surface your correct.  I can tell you this, the coaching staff are just as fired up about the underclass men as they are about the seniors.  From what they say, "if everything works out, next years team will be better than this year".  I keep hearing about the freshman group this year, they are bigger, makes you think about Vidor teams of the 70's and 80's.  They just keep coming.

That sounds like a Skipper post after spell check    ;D

That sounds like a Skipper post after spell check    ;D

Too funny!!!  ;D ;D ;D

the freshman group has a pretty good couple running backs too from what i hear.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed