Felts commits to UT

The should be a lot of great matchups between the 'Horns and Aggies for the next few years...all with SE Texas connections.  Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't say that all of us with the Sun Devils are very happy for Jacob and his family.  Great people all around...

Felts headed to be a Longhorn

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — It has been a dream since he was little.

Now Jacob Felts is living his dream as he verbally committed Wednesday to play for fame-baseball coach Augie Garrido and the Texas Longhorns.

“Ever since I was little I dreamed of playing there,†Felts said. “I never thought I would get the chance to be a Longhorn. I have been a UT fan my whole life. I went and met Augie and he had so many great things to say about their philosophies. Texas is a winning team and I want to be a part of that.â€

The Longhorns are coming off a season which ended at the College World Series in Omaha, Neb. Texas lost the series in three games to the LSU Tigers.

Felts is hoping to join a long line of successful Texas catchers including Taylor Teagarden and Cameron Rupp.

“Teagarden was my guy,†Felts added. “Now I want to go in and pick up where Rupp leaves off after next season.â€

Felts, the Defensive Player of the Year on the All-Orange Leader Baseball Team, batted an amazing .471 last season with 37 runs, 48 hits, 14 doubles and six homers. He was on base 59-percent of the time and slugged .804.

“I am so proud of him,†Orangefield coach Jeff Bennett said. “This shows the caliber of player he is. Jacob has received so much attention over the last three years and he is still such a humble individual. That is what makes me more proud. He does not seek the accolades yet gets them because he puts in the extra hours.â€

Felts made his decision a day after Nederland ace Kirby Bellow made the decision to head to Austin. Bellow was 10-1 on the year with 46 strike outs in 32 innings in the playoffs.

“It will be awesome to have Kirby there with me,†Felts said. “We were on our way back from playing in Florida and both said how awesome it would be to both be there.â€

Felts put an end to the thought he would follow fellow Bobcat Jace Statum to Texas A&M. Statum verbally committed to the Aggies last week and although said he would allow Felts to make his own decision, he did say he would do some recruiting.

“Jace and I were rivals when we were little,†Felts said. “We always seem to be on different teams growing up and it was always a big game. It is going to be renewed now.â€

Bennett, as with Statum, applauded the summer league system which allows players to be followed when college coaches have a chance to watch games and not worry about their own teams.

“UT does not really recruit this area,†Bennett said. “The upside to Jacob is unbelievable. College coaches do not want players that are high maintenance. Jacob’s story starts when it is a Thursday before we play Bridge City on a Friday in the regional quarterfinals and he is out there 10 minutes early to get in 30 to 40 extra swings in.â€

Felts now can go out and play the game he loves without any pressure.

“You try to not let that bother you when on the field,†Felts added. “It is hard to go out and play games and still try to impress someone. I felt like I had waited long enough to decide so I jumped on it.â€

Guest Orangeboy

Congrats Jacob, although I was hoping he would go with Statum!  ;D

Now he gets to beat Statum!  ;D Congrats Jacob

Big 12 Tourney gonna be fun to watch with all the local talent.

Guest Ranger83

Congrats Jacob! Could not have happened to a nicer kid or a better family!

(Put in a good word to Augie for that Jacobs kid in Baytown) ;D

What kind of scholarships can these guys expect?   With limited scholarships, do they mostly get tuition/books?   Just curious.

I would sign with UT for a bag of seeds and a gatorade.

I've heard he signed for as high as 75% and as low as 50%.

It's not really our business though.

What kind of scholarships can these guys expect?   With limited scholarships, do they mostly get tuition/books?   Just curious.

They got enough...they wouldn't have committed if they did not deserve what they have received

huh?     ???

It's none of your business...They got what they deserved and they would not have committed if they felt as if they could have gotten more somewhere else.  Both the player and the parents felt comfortable with what they offered.

Both 'Horns-to-be (Felts and Bellow) as well as future Aggie Statum received very good/competitive offers.  They all had other offers from other top D1 programs.  Exactly 'how much' is a matter for the school, the player and his family.  I will say it is for more than the proverbial 'bag of seeds'....LOL.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder