LC-M's Barry leads six OC players to All-State honors

LC-M's Barry leads six OC players to All-State honors

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

Several Orange County players, led by Little Cypress-Mauriceville’s Tim Barry, landed on the Collin Street Bakery/Texas Sportswriters Association’s All-State Baseball Team.

Barry, a senior last season, was a First Team All-State selection in Class 4A.

Barry hit a smooth .467 and set a school-record by recording 57 hits. The Blinn signee crushed 10 home runs and drove in 39 runs for long-time head coach Steve Griffith.

A Bear teammate joined Barry as well as senior shortstop Stefan Cloeren captured Third Team honors.

Cloeren, who signed with the University of Houston, posted a .394 batting average while collecting seven home runs and 39 RBI.

Orange County had four players land on the Class 3A list.

Orangefield junior outfielder Jace Statum made the Second Team after hitting a whopping .462. He scored 49 runs, swiped 22 bases and had four home runs and 26 RBI.

Statum was joined by junior catcher teammate Jacob Felts, who made the Third Team.

Felts hit .471, scored 37 runs while hitting six home runs and driving in 38.

Bridge City junior pitcher Matt Hicks was on the Third Team as well.

Hicks posted a 13-3 mark on the hill with a 1.60 earned run average. The District 21-3A Co-Most Valuable Player struck out 136 batters and walked just 18.

Cardinal senior teammate Blake Hubbard claimed Honorable Mention honors at third base after hitting .356 with three home runs and 22 RBI.

In Class 4A, Nederland junior Kirby Bellow made Honorable Mention as a pitcher and first baseman.

On the mound, Bellow paced the District 20-4A champion Bulldogs by going 10-2 on the hill with a 0.60 ERA. He had 110 strikeouts in 70 innings. At the plate, Bellow hit .378 with 24 RBI.

Nederland junior outfielder Nick Cardenas also made Honorable Mention as an outfielder. Cardenas hit .402 with 37 RBI.

In 3A, Hamshire-Fannett junior Jake Minaldi made the Third Team after hitting .459 with three home runs and 23 RBI.

His Longhorn teammates Logan Johnson and Jeremmy Pinder made Honorable Mention.

Pinder, also an outfielder, hit .363 with four home runs and 35 RBI.

Johnson, meanwhile, went 10-1 on the hill with a 2.43 ERA with 88 strikeouts in 69 innings.

For a complete list of every All-State Team, please see Sportstats on Page 2B.

If you didn't get to see Tim Barry play then you missed a real treat.This kid can swing it!! Out of his 57 hits he didn't have many cheap ones. But more important this is a very humble well mannered young man!!! Congrats and good luck in the future Tim.

If you didn't get to see Tim Barry play then you missed a real treat.This kid can swing it!! Out of his 57 hits he didn't have many cheap ones. But more important this is a very humble well mannered young man!!! Congrats and good luck in the future Tim.

I stand by calling Tim Barry the hardest out in SE Texas. I was seriously surprised if he did not get on base every time he came up.

I don't get to see all the players you do Gabe, but if there was a tougher out in this area I didn't see him.

Felts and Statum at OF are close but Tim just found a way plus had power as a leadoff. He could have been the clean up on any team around. Plus all the times I was around I think I heard 10 words come out of his mouth  :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder