best 1A you have seen play

Guest DickVitale

Morton in Austin at the state tourney several times....Or was it MOULTON? One of the two (colors were black and white)...They were pretty darn good. Very disciplined and shot the lights out!

2000 team Brookland I think Maybe Broadus not sure but they  won the 1a state that year They were fast and could shoot lights out. Seen them Play in the YMBL and won the small school bracket 1a -3A. They would have a 4 on1 brake and stop to shoot a 3. Only think they lost 1 game that year and that one they were up by 20 in La and coach got mad and they walked out of gym.

Morton was very good......The 76 Broaddus team was loaded. Terry Teagle, Michael Parks and the Brooks twins. Probally the best I have seen at that level..... no-look the best that year in 1a-2a-3a-4a    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Catman, we gave them their only loss that year. We got lucky and beat them in the Lufkin tourney. We lost to them twice that same year.......

2000 team Brookland I think Maybe Broadus not sure but they  won the 1a state that year They were fast and could shoot lights out. Seen them Play in the YMBL and won the small school bracket 1a -3A. They would have a 4 on1 brake and stop to shoot a 3. Only think they lost 1 game that year and that one they were up by 20 in La and coach got mad and they walked out of gym.

I think Carter pulled them off the court. Heard that the game was getting to physical.......but I think that was the norm over there......

I did some research on this topic, there are two teams that would have to qualify as the two best teams in class A history. The Terry Teagle teams of Broaddus in the 70s, Terry Teagle played at Baylor and later in the NBA. The Paducah teams that won in 87 and 88, they had two division one players on that team, Will Flemons went to Texas Tech and was SWC player of the year one year  and Brian Barnes went to U of H. Barnes never panned out, I think he had some discipline issues. I think in 87 when Paducah was in Austin they beat one of teams that was in Austin in 4A. I said Snook earlier, not taking anything away from there incredible run in the 70's and

80's but I don't think they had teams that could beat the Broaddus and Paducah teams. I think thier run will never be matched again (by the way Big Sandy ended their run in the regional finals in 86) This all of course IMO.

I had the opportunity to play in the old gym at Broaddus in the mid seventies,if there has ever been a better 1-a club I haven't seen them.The talent there was unbelievable and the atmosphere in the old gym was tough on the opposing club.I have talked several times to Cris about the 2000 Brookeland club and he says those kids actually believed they could beat anyone at any level.I think they are still looking for the ball he kicked outta the La gym that night in 2000  ::) ::) ::)

I had the opportunity to play in the old gym at Broaddus in the mid seventies,if there has ever been a better 1-a club I haven't seen them.The talent there was unbelievable and the atmosphere in the old gym was tough on the opposing club.I have talked several times to Cris about the 2000 Brookeland club and he says those kids actually believed they could beat anyone at any level.I think they are still looking for the ball he kicked outta the La gym that night in 2000  ::) ::) ::)

That 2000 team was the fastest team I have ever seen at any level. They played my sons team from Evadale that year in the playoffs. Evadale have a strong team IMP stronger than the 2001 team that won state and the 1st Texas cup. And we could not get the ball to 1/2 court. They played 5 guards and it looked like they had 7 men on the floor. We had them out sized and had a strong inside out game and if we could get the ball on our in of the floor we scored. Just could not get it pasted there press. Like I said before they shot the 3 on a 4 on 1 fast brake. They were a great team. Just wondering did any of those kid play D 1 ball?

Snook, hands down. 10 state titles, 8 in a row, nuff said.

We beat Snook in the finals in 74 by two. It's on record as the lowest scoring championship game. Snook pulled the plug on us and controlled the tempo......We beat Paducah by thirty in the semi finals. Their players stayed up all night running the halls at the hotel the night before.

We beat Snook in the finals in 74 by two. It's on record as the lowest scoring championship game. Snook pulled the plug on us and controlled the tempo......We beat Paducah by thirty in the semi finals. Their players stayed up all night running the halls at the hotel the night before.

No-look i knew y'all coach,was he the one who was a fishing guide on the lake in the summer.i thing Jackie Harvard was teaching there that year 2.If i am wrong let me no.

No-look i knew y'all coach,was he the one who was a fishing guide on the lake in the summer.i thing Jackie Harvard was teaching there that year 2.If i am wrong let me no.

I think Jackie left after the 72 season and Ken Lloyd came in 73......Catman where did you go to school?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami