Baytown Lee

I will give my own little preview for Baytown Lee this year.

I just wish I knew what type of offense or defense the new coach intended on using.

I'm guessing it will be a little more traditional than Olin.  Maybe we'll even see a tight end or fullback make their way into the lineup at some point.

I'm not expecting a whole lot from the Ganders this year.  They do have some D1 talented guys, just now a whole lot of them.

Qb – Havins – fast and athletic

RB – Jackson – fast and athletic, undersized

WR – Mixon(junior) – fast and athletic, undersized

WR – Maguire(junior) -  Big, pretty fast

OL – Smith – 6’4†280, recruited by a host of D1 schools

OL – Ruben – 6’3†275, recruited by a host of D1 schools

DL – Cleveland (junior) – Big, athletic, will play college ball

ILB – Fuentes – solid player

CB- Warren – will be 3 year starter, pretty fast and athletic

S – Murray – Will be going to a top tier school

Some sophomores to look for are Haggerty, Barnabba and Johnson.  They are all quality athletes that should make some noise on varsity this year.

I can't wait to see a game period.

It's been a long wait considering we didn't have spring practice this year.

I stay in Missouri City now, so it will be tougher to get back to all of the games.

Lee and Sterling should be a good game this year.

I think people are writing Lee off a little bit too much this year, considering they were three plays away from beating Sterling, Port Arthur Memorial and West Brook last year and finishing 2nd in the district.

Lee just didn't have a quarterback last year.

That shouldn't be the case this year.

i dont have any idea what the Rangers will have...maybe the writing Lee off is cause of the new coach and learning a new system and all....im just happy the Sterling/Lee game is back to being a good game...of course for that to happen sterling had to get better and Lee had to get worse, hopefully they can both improve now and keep the game good but also do something come playoff time...i cant deal with anothe 23 year drought....

Guest Ranger83

Might be one of the last installments of "The Game". If things continue as they appear, the Ganders will drop to 4A in the near future and GCM will move up to 5A. I have always felt that GCCISD needed to move towards one large high school.That school (IMO) could compete with anyone in this area. As it stands now, all three schools in Baytown will be middle of the road.

i would hope if Lee drops to 4a they would not stop the Sterling/Lee game...that would be a real shame....i thought baytown would never let Lee drop to 4a, but i kinda wonder if Olin leaving wasnt a signal the adminstration in baytown decided they were going to let the drop happen, from what i heard/read Olin was pretty big into keeping them 5a....regardless, most other towns would keep that rivalry alive...i hope baytown decides to continue the game...i would think just from a revenue standpoint it would be worth keeping...

a super school in baytown would be an awesome football team as it would in most towns with more than one 5a high school...however i dont think that'd be best for baytown and its obvious they arent going that direction with the building of the new highschool....when iw as in school there were serious rumors about combining sterling/lee and having one campus be 9th/10th and the other 11th/12th but that idea died and they decided to build the 3rd highschool...you dont have to be a super 5a to be good though, if they can get some good coaches in the baytown schools they would be good (just look at what Olin did at Lee)

Lee would be competitive in 4a.  They have the athletes, just not enough of them.

They have honestly been 4a level in enrollment the last few years as it is.  Things would look a lot better if they were playing the Barbers Hills and Crosbys of the world instead of the North Shores and West Brooks.

Guest Ranger83

Lee would be competitive in 4a.  They have the athletes, just not enough of them.

They have honestly been 4a level in enrollment the last few years as it is.  Things would look a lot better if they were playing the Barbers Hills and Crosbys of the world instead of the North Shores and West Brooks.

I always felt the same way until we played a 4A schedule at GCM. There is not a whole lot of difference in athletic ability from 5A to 4A. The biggest difference I have seen in just in sheer numbers.

People always talk about Olin and what he accomplished at REL. I'll give him credit for being a successful coach on the local level. However, REL did little once the playoffs rolled around. They will never (no one in Baytown for that matter) compete for a State Championship. 5A or 4A. We have just watered down our athletics with the opening of GCM. No sport will benefit from a third school. Boys or Girls. It was a bad idea and one that I did not support. I'm just going to try and make a little lemonade.

No way was GCM going to compete for anything that first year.  They got all their kids from a Sterling program that wasn't doing a lot as it was.  The kids were all underclassmen.  They did good to win any games at all.

Olin got too much credit because he was compared to Sterling.

At least Lee was making the playoffs occasionally, but people were holding him up like he had turned Lee into some powerhouse.

The Ganders had a few chances to get to a state title game in 1995 and 1997.  They haven't really been much in contention since those days.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Ruben and Smith have both committed to Baylor.

I think Ruben will actually be moved to defense at Baylor from the sounds of it.  I've thought all along that he should be playing defense here.  He could be a dominating presence if you turned him loose on the defensive side with his size, strength and agility.

Looks like Ruben and Smith have both committed to Baylor.

I think Ruben will actually be moved to defense at Baylor from the sounds of it.  I've thought all along that he should be playing defense here.  He could be a dominating presence if you turned him loose on the defensive side with his size, strength and agility.

i hope Ruben and Smith both play like beast for the rest of their high school and now college careers (sic'em bears!)...well maybe they could have one bad game against sterling and i'd be ok w/ that lol....nice to see the Bears getting some hometown boys

I think Ruben has more potential to be honest, although Smith is probably rated higher.

Ruben is much quicker and meaner.

When I saw him as a freshman, I thought he would be a highly sought after college recruit.

It's puzzling that he hasn't developed into a more complete player yet.

I think this year is the year he puts it together....especially if they let him play defense.

You may get your wish soon.  Lee should be down in 4a before too long.

I don't know how they have cooked the books to keep them in 5a this long.

The numbers over there are dwindling rapidly.

I'd like to play Central again too.

The two teams are similar. 

Fast, athletic, undisciplined, mistake prone.

You may get your wish soon.  Lee should be down in 4a before too long.

I don't know how they have cooked the books to keep them in 5a this long.

The numbers over there are dwindling rapidly.

I'd like to play Central again too.

The two teams are similar. 

Fast, athletic, undisciplined, mistake prone.

Hey, speak for your self!  That does not describe my Jags!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder