Mustangs DB names five finalists for commitment

Mustangs DB names five finalists for commitment

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

The last few months have been pretty busy for West Orange-Stark’s James Haynes.

There were track meets, visits to college and everything else a high school student has to go through.

It is now summer time and Haynes does not intend to slow down, quite like the buzz surrounding where he will end up as a college freshman.

Haynes has received about 15 to 20 offers from various colleges all over the nation and he recently narrowed the field down to five top schools.

“The top of the list is Oklahoma, Florida, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Stanford,†Haynes said. “Florida and Oklahoma want me as a defensive back. They like how I can come downhill on coverage and also find the hole to stop a running play.â€

Haynes is fresh off being a part of the WO-S boys’ track team which won the state team title this past Saturday in Austin.

He said the calls have slowed down from college recruiters but the interest has not.

“I never thought it would be this crazy,†Haynes said. “The calls have slowed down but the mail has not. I still get letters at my house and at the school. Those five top schools are some pretty big names.â€

Haynes added it has become very nice to meet and talk with such high caliber coaches while trying to decide which school he will choose.

“I hope to make a decision before the next football season,†Haynes said. “It will also be a plus if a school wants both me and Trey (Franks).â€

Franks and Haynes have been teammates for years and have talked since they were freshmen about attending the same college.

“I would be going somewhere I have never been so it would be good to be there with someone I actually know,†Haynes added. “I would then have a roommate. Trey and I are good friends. You can’t go wrong with being at a college with him. We have talked about this since we were freshmen so it is weird it is starting to come true.â€

Haynes and Franks were a part of the 400-meter relay team which took gold at the state championship and were also key parts in the 800-meter relay which finished with a silver.

While Haynes prepares to make his decision, he said the fact he is a state champion in track is yet to sink in fully.

“It will sink in and then go right back out,†he said. “When someone describes what they saw watching us, I get goose bumps. I know it will finally sink in all the way when I have that ring on my finger.â€

print this story   comment on this story    

xl

As much as I don't want this to happen, but my money is on Oklahoma.  I know the Franks family very well, and Trey has lots of family, including his grandparents residing in OK, near Norman.  This is one of the few teams that have offered to both of them, so that makes it a strong possibility.  Although, I hope they stay in Texas, preferably UT.

Texas A&M is building a great track program  with Coach Henry, it wouldn't surprise me to see both young men get an offer to play football and run track. But I believe Haynes will go to OU. Both men and women's teams from A&M  are ranked #1 in the nation going into this weeks NCAA championship meet.

hay speveto you better get your tickets early lol.mr speveto ,i do belive you will see a little diffrent  mustang team this year.coach foreman will change things up he has more than 6 plays in his play book. over the past years  it was pass pass maybe a run mixed in ,he has so much to work with this year its going to be a fun year.PS watch out this year for the QB very smart kid he is going to be the key to make things happen (BIG TIME)

On the days that the pass doesn't work I hope yall don't come on here wanting to know why we have abandoned the run. You got what you wanted now I hope he gets a chance to do his job his way.

BINGO!  Finally, a blue and silver realist.  ;D

skipper,  when 2 old men can set on the 15th. row and call every play before WOS  hikes the ball, that should tell you how creative the OC is.  i hope the 2 old men wont be able to do that again this year.  when WOS players run out on the field for the first play, the first game this year, i  know 2 old guys who will have big smiles on their faces.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476