****WO-S WINS 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP****

Mustangs win team state title championship

By Van Wade

The Orange Leader

AUSTIN — Just maybe they will paint the high school on Newton Street in West Orange gold.

Why?

Because the West Orange-Stark Mustangs painted Mike A. Myers Stadium blue and silver Saturday at the Class 3A State Track & Field Championships at The University of Texas.

WO-S rang up four total medals, three of them gold as they captured the Class 3A state title with 58 points. Waco La Vega and Argyle tied for a distant second with 44 points apiece.

“Even before the season started I thought this group was capable of doing big things,†said Mustangs track coach Toby Foreman. “It seemed like each week the kids would improve their times along with their execution. It was in the back of my head that the kids would have a chance to win state and that confidence grew especially after the district meet. These kids, they just love to win. Winning usually becomes contagious and our kids are infected with it. You gotta love it.â€

The Mustangs got things headed in the right direction right out of the chute in the 400-meter relay.

The Mustang quartet of Josh Gloston, Phillip Jones, Trey Franks and James Haynes blistered the competition, turning in a season-best time of 41.31 seconds. Waco La Vega was second with a 41.84 while Dallas Madison netted third with a 41.85.

“What more can you say, that was electric,†said Foreman. “That one really set the tone for us. A 41.31, that was moving and is probably a new school record. We knew La Vega was going to push us. We changed a few things up, shortening our handoffs by about three feet and it paid off.â€

Gloston, the lone senior that ran for the Mustangs, was thrilled. This marked his third straight trip to Austin and he finally came up with the medal he wanted.

“Gold, it was all about the gold this year,†said Gloston. “The medals in the past were special but this one will always be the best. What a way to close a great senior year. It’s something you will never forget, that’s for sure.â€

For Franks, who was in three events, he was just getting started.

“We weren’t going to be denied,†said Franks. “We were perfect on our execution. I felt good running the curve and James (Haynes) poured it on at the end.â€

The biggest surprise of the day had to be the sophomore in Jones.

Jones entered the 110-meter hurdles with the fifth fastest time at regionals but he left the field in its wake, sprinting to a remarkable time of 14.21 seconds to capture his second gold medal of the day.

“It’s so hard to explain this feeling,†said Jones, who got plenty of hugs from family and friends immediately after the race. “I really felt on my game right out of the blocks. Running the 400 relay first really settled my nerves. My form was better than ever today and it paid off huge.â€

Goliad’s Aron Franklin was second with a 14.29.

Foreman couldn’t have been happier for the young man.

“Honestly, I was hoping Phillip would get on the medal stand,†said Foreman. “A bronze or silver would have been awesome but what does the sophomore do, he goes out and wins the darn thing. The tougher the competition the more of a competitor Phillip is. He was our wild card today and believe me, I’m wild and crazy about that kid. Two more years with him, that’s a wonderful feeling to have.â€

Jones felt running in big meets during the season against 4A and 5A schools was a big plus.

“I’ve been fortunate to run against some of the best in state this year and that’s really helped a whole lot,†said Jones. “Competing against the best will only make you stronger. Not long ago when the season started I was running 15-plus times, to run a 14.21, I can’t believe it.â€

Nobody was going to slow down the “Fastest Man in Class 3A†in the 100 meters.

Franks, who has been a dominant force all season, proved to everyone at Myers Stadium who the best sprinter in town was on this day.

Getting out of the blocks nicely, Franks turned on the afterburners, running away with a gold medal and a stunning 10.36 clocking. Poteet’s Adam Hebert, who later went on to win the 200, was a distant second with a 10.65 while Snyder’s Kenneth Turner was third with a 10.69.

“I felt good right from the start and was able to pour it on during those last 40 meters or so,†said Franks. “The guy from Poteet (Hebert) and I were talking a lot before the race about how it was going to be between us and it was. I think I had more at the end. My start was big because I knew how well he starts. This feels great. Hopefully it will happen again next year for me.â€

“What more can you say about Trey, he was a beast out there today,†said Foreman. “He wanted to set the track on fire and of course I told him he had another relay to go. The thing about Trey is that he looks so good doing it. His strides are awesome and when he kicks it into that last gear, you’re not going to catch him.â€

The Mustangs wrapped up the amazing day with the foursome of Gloston, Haynes, Franks and Ed Ivory capturing silver in the 800-meter relay.

They turned in a season-best time of 1:27.02 as Waco La Vega punched in a gold-wining time of 1:26.90. The Mustangs were in fourth when Franks took the final handoff. Dallas Madison was third with a 1:27.42.

The Mustangs were at somewhat of a disadvantage as they drew Lane One while La Vega was in the sixth lane.

“I’m not making excuses, but if we weren’t in Lane One, we might have won that sucker too,†said Foreman. “Give credit to La Vega though. Our kids turned in their best time of the season and you can’t ask for any more than that.â€

The Mustang boys were joined by the Lady Mustang quartet of Brittany Brantley, Hannah Mobley, Johnesha Sims and Danyale Thomas in the 400 and 800-meter relays.

They finished sixth in the 400-meter relay, turning in a season-best time of 49.15. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau was first with a 47.57. The same four came back later to place seventh in the 800-meter relay with a 1:44.38. Liberty-Eylau was first again, running a 1:40.65.

It was a nice outing for the Lady Mustangs, who were sporting two sophomores and two juniors.

“The girls, what an amazing year they’ve had,†said Foreman. “This group put Lady Mustang track back on the map. They came out here and ran a personal-best in the 400 relay. To have all four of those young ladies back next year, what a bonus.â€

The only other Southeast Texan in action Saturday at the 3A level was 800-meter runner Jyamos Mouton, who placed eighth with a 2:07.07.

I hope Toby takes that STATE CHAMPIONSHIP trophy and puts it on the school boards table of hate. Just goes to show that no matter how hard they make it on the kids, the kids will still win!!!!! CONGRATS MUSTANGS!!!!!!!!!!

OMG...a great day in Austin...and a hot one!  First of all, congrats to Honeyman, Trey, James, Phillip and Ed!  Can't forget Ed (I didn't see any pics with him!!!).  Second of all, a huge thanks to the track coaches (Toby and Coach Ivory), but moreover the coaches that were in attendance to share in this day.  Third, I have to say that I was quite impressed with the number of people who came to Austin to support our Mustangs!  Watching that 4X400m relay was breathtaking and we were on edge most of the race.  I tell ya, it was just meant to be.  Congrats also to the Lady Mustangs who placed 5th & 7th...nothing to hang your heads about!  Next year should really be exciting!!!

Honey, thanks for the effort you've given us for four years.  Your trademark smile and laugh remind us that while this is a competition, it's always nice to see kids enjoy their specialty like you do.  Trey and James, wow...we still have two more years with you two.  Phillip and Ed...three years.  Honestly, I just can't wait for football.

THANKS AGAIN for the ride!!!!  You showed what five young men with great talent, coaching, and parental/community support can do through adversity that has been overlooked in little old Orange and West Orange.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124