POLL - Acceptable or Not

As a fan of the game, do you feel it is acceptable for select teams to recruit committed, rostered players?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. As a fan of the game, do you feel it is acceptable for select teams to recruit committed, rostered players?

• YES - Acceptable, because all is fair in love and war (and softball)
    • NO - Not acceptable, that's why colleges have rules.......

If these players were so "unhappy" playing for the team or teams they played for then why go back again year after year and tryout for the same team or teams?  I understand the "glory" of wanting to keep your successful highschool teammates together, but if you have PRIOR commitments to other teams then that needs to be fulfilled first.  When the season ends then follow your dreams and more power to you. It will make you a better person in the long run.

I think the players should have had just a little respect for the coaches that helped get them their scholarships.

I do know one coach that truly loves ALL of his GIRLS and will do anything to better their future in college and softball.  He has always been very PROUD of ALL of his girls.  It hurts me to see this kind of thing happen to the one person who literally EATS, SLEEPS and BREATHS SOFTBALL.  He is all about the KIDS.  He should have had the decency of at least a phone call or better yet a meeting, not hearing it through gossip.

I wish them all the best of luck.

I agree with the above statement.

As a family, we sat down with JH face to face to discuss Cody leaving Crush for more competitve play. He does live, eat and breathe softball. You, including myself may not agree with all his coaching decisions (but whom would we agree with-it is part of the game) BUT JH is for the kids and deserves better. I am sad for him, even though I tried to knock him out one day - lol.

Man, I quess after we WON state, we should have made a team, because it was fun and hard for it to end, but we had committments.

This is my last post cocerning this issue. Good Luck to the new team. And JH deserves more than what he got!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

I have enjoyed reading the updates, stats and support that this site has offered in the past. But it seems it is turning into a real world drama, something my teenage daughter would watch on MTV. First off I know the girls that are starting team and hold high respect for them in their accomplishments both on and off the field.  I know now this was not done to hurt anyone, but the back lash from it and a few people from here are making hurtful remarks and threats saying they will be calling their college coaches and so on. I think everyone has over looked the real meaning of this team and why it is being put together, First theses girls play, live, breath and love the game of softball and they have an opportunity to leave their school that they have won district back to back 4 years in a row and have went all the State. The girls fell it is on them to leave the team as good or better for the years to come. They are doing this from the heart, for me this shows me what kind of kids everyone has had a part in coaching, teaching and just being around. Being an outsider I can see where would hurt coaches that were looking forward to having them play, but they are moving on and growing up. Its time to move the other players up that need to be in the lime light so they have the chance to be seen and get offered scholarships. These girls are doing what they have been taught and seen happen throughout there softball lives. SO for everyone to be making them out to be the bad ones.. Look at yourself , you coached and help get them where they are. SO who do you think they learned this from?

If it was me I would be proud to know that girls I helped have the drive and fire to do something like this and be supportive of them. To me these girls do know what “TEAM†really means and not just wanting to have the best of the best. But all the threaten going on off the site needs to come to stop remember their still kid's  I wish all teams a good season and luck to all

Hey I'm a player on this team. I am one of the underclassmen and I am making this choice to get better. I have never played A ball before this and it's giving me the chance to grow individually and with me team. Whatever happens, happens... you can't do anything about it. It was our choice and you can't harp on it. More than half of the players were free agents. 

We are playing to get better and we can make our own decisions. No one else can make for us. 

And the real immaturity in this is the fifty year old men who are harping on this and fighting about this like little kids. It's over and done with we are no longer free agents.

"Doing this to get better for ourselves may seem selfish

but it's not all about giving, sometimes you got to take"

-Ben Dover

threats saying they will be calling their college coaches and so on.

I must have missed the post that said anyone was calling a players college coach.

Could you copy and paste it please?

I agree with Papa...I've seen people state thier disaggreement with the decision but have not seen anyone make threats. Oh ! " fifty year old men" I thought some of these posters were women.

It was not posted on here but was stated, I am bring it up so that people can see how out of had this getting and how unfair it was to the player it was addressed to. I am sure there is alot of dirt out there, but thats not what this site is for.  If that person is that upset then call the parents dont make comments to other people behind their back.  This Poll needs to shut down and let the girls get on with playing ball, Thats what we all love anyway!!!!

How come every time something that involves questionable character the same ones are involved? I get hammered for speaking truths, and not beating around the bush........everyone wants to say I have an agenda, or this or that..........I'm not always right......but I am a pretty good judge of character.........and I've warned people about their involvements!

I lost 6 before before nationals last year, jumped through hoops trying to salvage the season for the rest of the players that did honor their commitments for the ENTIRE season. It not only put the end of our season in question.........it could have cost us our team, due to the uncertainess of us being able to find enough quality players to play the schedule we chose to play. As it turned out we became stronger and MORE talented......keep your heads up Crush fans, there is always hope.

I've always heard that these people are in it for THE kids.........thruth is THEir kids.........PEROID........doesn't matter who it hurts or who gets hosed............I feel sorry for the underclassmen that are going to this team due to feeling the have to.........

This is a sad day for softball.......I truly feel for the girls and coaches of any team that will be losing players.......BUT this doesn't surprise me.

Maybe now my Crush friends and I can get back to the relationship we once had....... ;)

:o :o I think I just thru up in my mouth  ::)  It is so funny that so many on here act like they have done everything by the rules and in a moral way . PPPPLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEE ;) Say you agree or disagree ,do not try to step in the PULPIT and try to Preach,you may get struck by Lightning  ;)

I have been following this thread and correct me if i have this wrong.

We have some graduating seniors that have formed a new softball team. They have asked the underclassman from their school to join them to play tournaments.

Do we not have local teams that allow graduating seniors to play on their team or they strictly for underclassman?

Guest bigcat

We have some graduating seniors that have formed a new softball team. They have asked the underclassman from their school to join them to play tournaments.

Do we not have local teams that allow graduating seniors to play on their team or they strictly for underclassman?

Most seniors play out the summer with their travel teams. Then depending on their age, they can come back next summer and play , after their freshman year in college. Most college coaches want their players to play summer ball.  Travel ball is not in any way connected to high school ball. Nor is it league ball. Most kids that play travel ball,ages 16 and up, play in college exposure tournaments, are trying to get scholarships. Hardly any college coaches go to high school games. Most college coaches attend exposure tournaments.

did i strike a nerve? someone feeling guilty? i dont believe i said anyones name or gave specifics on any given incident.

BUT since you did say MY name.....i guess you are prepared to say when i dumped a team or players for the sole purpose of benefiting MY kid only ( or those from Silsbee). or did anything besides ANNOUNCE the startup of a new team. check this site, i believe there are at least 2 people doing the same thing....you arent bashing them. nor am i.....why? because they are NOT going behind peoples back recruiting (at nationals) while bashing us for ONLY announcing.....then denying it while hosting a FAKE tryout.  

once again....some think its ok to screw whoever as long as it gives their kid and or friends a leg up.

to each their own.

oh i have heard at least some are coming to their senses and NOT following the wrong crowd.

another question for you BAG....whats the Ned coach think about this?

one more thing....im on a roll.....the wool has been removed from the eyes of many....i dont think you will have the same support from those who now know what some of us has know from the beginning.

Most seniors play out the summer with their travel teams. Then depending on their age, they can come back next summer and play , after their freshman year in college. Most college coaches want their players to play summer ball.  Travel ball is not in any way connected to high school ball. Nor is it league ball. Most kids that play travel ball,ages 16 and up, play in college exposure tournaments, are trying to get scholarships. Hardly any college coaches go to high school games. Most college coaches attend exposure tournaments.

thanks bigcat , that clears it up for me.

BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! They can try to put this under the guise of what they want to. The truth of the matter is that this is a select group of extremely talented prima donna ball players that evidently weren't catered to the way they wanted. They didn't get everything the way they think they are entitled to so they are taking their talent and going home. Did anyone ever think that maybe this high school program was so successful because of what these girls learned and experienced with their travel ball coaches? Maybe what they learned carried over to their season and that is why they have been so successful. They say they are doing it to improve the high school program, I say poppycock. They got their scholarships and now they want a summer of laid back fun summer ball. What they need to do is get a bunch of girls that just want to have fun and leave the girls that want to further their softball careers alone. Thank goodness one of them has seen the light and realized what was going on before her summer was lost. Serious players thinking about joining this team need to beware. Your best interests are not being considered.

OK...here goes.

No college gives scholarships to any players.  They are earned.

Also...no coach gets a scholarship for any player.  They are earned.

I feel that this area has the talent to field an unbelievably talented 18U Gold team that could compete every year for a national title.  Not 6 or 7 so-called "gold" teams that delete the talent pool.

I have been around long enough to remember the conversations with RV about how to better the softball in this area and several summer coaches agreed on the solution.  The GTS were the only organization to step up and offer to field this "Super Elite Team".  They wanted the top players and presented the opportunity and expertise to make it happen.  Then....everybody and their Dog, decided to make their own "gold team" and ruined what could have been.  It's ashamed !!

Honestly.....all I see is a few PARTIAL JUCO and CC scholarships a few PARTIAL small Div 1.  What kind of offers could have been if the original vision had been followed.

We will never know.

Thank goodness some of these Geniuses are leaving and the future is getting brighter.

PS.  Hey OC, What does a team that claims it is all about getting their players college scholarships.....not  winning,  want with a bunch of already committed seniors anyway?

Even with all the talent, which I do not disagree that these players have talent, they would not have the scholarships without the coach's help. The coaches took these players to EXPOSURE tournaments.  So yes the coaches did help them.  Exposure tournaments are not all about WINNING they are about putting the KIDS out there in the eyes of the recruiters.

Nobody is saying that players can't move on to other teams, that is the beauty of select ball.  I know for a fact that CC has no problem with that, it's the way it has been handled.  All I'm saying is give your coaches reasonable NOTICE when you leave your team.  Leaving your TEAM in a lurch is not the best way to handle things.  Your TEAMMATES are effected also.  

Ok, please excuse my ignorance because I'm not up to par on the 18U or HS age groups as my daughter is younger, but why couldn't these players play with their summer ball teams for their regularly scheduled tournaments, whether college exposure or not, and then come together to play the additional open tournaments as pick up players under the "NEW" team?  Most organizations would already know the dates for their entire season.  These gold teams can't be playing every weekend and if it is the additional competition that the girls seek then why couldn't they put this team together to play on weekends when they aren't playing with their committed teams?  I looked on Eteamz and there are 18U tournaments just about every weekend this summer.  The manager of our team has told all of our players that they are free to play with other teams as pick up in OPEN tournaments as long as our existing team is the priority and so far that has worked well. We also pick up players occasionally and are very understanding and considerate of their own team committments as well.

OK...here goes.

No college gives scholarships to any players.  They are earned.

Also...no coach gets a scholarship for any player.  They are earned.

I feel that this area has the talent to field an unbelievably talented 18U Gold team that could compete every year for a national title.  Not 6 or 7 so-called "gold" teams that delete the talent pool.

I have been around long enough to remember the conversations with RV about how to better the softball in this area and several summer coaches agreed on the solution.   The GTS were the only organization to step up and offer to field this "Super Elite Team".  They wanted the top players and presented the opportunity and expertise to make it happen.  Then....everybody and their Dog, decided to make their own "gold team" and ruined what could have been.   It's ashamed !!

Honestly.....all I see is a few PARTIAL JUCO and CC scholarships a few PARTIAL small Div 1.   What kind of offers could have been if the original vision had been followed.

We will never know.

Thank goodness some of these Geniuses are leaving and the future is getting brighter.

PS.  Hey OC, What does a team that claims it is all about getting their players college scholarships.....not  winning,  want with a bunch of already committed seniors anyway?

OCG was already GOLD before GTS.  ???

To DOGS0917

Sorry you feel you have to apologize to those that helped to teach to you grow and be your own person.  It is great that the new team has the initiative to be who you are in softball and so many other aspects of your lives such as academics, giving to others, etc.  The same upset coaches that are so upset were the same coach or coaches that pulled you from another team and formed the new team in just a few years past leaving others behind!  No one has a right to upset you, make you shed any tears, or threaten your future in any way.  This is an exciting and happy time for you and know that you are cheered by many.  Some in this area with their comments need to rethink their thoughts and be proud and supportive  of those that have grown and are doing so well----let's don't live through our young people but spend time being proud of their successes and accomplishments.    It takes hard work and with that hard work I know others such as Juniors, Sophmores, Freshmen, etc., can reach their goals as well.   

Guest bigcat

OK here it goes. ;D ROTATIONAL   OR   LINEAR   Which is the beast style of hitting ?  

Thats about where this topic is going.