Height over Skill

I have learned lot about these basketball tryouts throughout these past two months,I spent numerous hours on the road, taking kids back and forth to these so call basketball tryouts. One kid stood out above kids that was six feet tall and over but he was only 5-8, he played his butt off and outplayed the college coaches players he had on scholarships, but after the tryouts, it was told to this young man that he played excellent, but IM SORRY IM LOOKING FOR A TALLER GUARD WITH YOUR TALENT. I can see why so many kids get over looked, all these college coaches want is height. My question to you the fans would you want height or talent on the floor.

Guest DickVitale

Depends on the league...in the Southland a good 5'8 guard may be ok....In the Big 12, a good 5'8 guard will get you FIRED!! Sorry guy, its a business... 8)

Guest nostradamus

I know this....any JUCO or Southland school that doesn't give Dominique Bailey a serious look is absolutely out of their mind.

Guest nostradamus

yes....college coaches have these prototypes that they like to find.....some will not even look at a kid if he is not a particular height

You can't teach genetics.  The 5;'8" player is so skilled because he had tpo push all of his career to overcome his height deficiency.  In college tall players can perfect their skills but short players wont grow 4"!

That one team may not have had guys that can handle him but the coach knew that the guards in his league were just as skilled and taller.  He woill have trouble defending and scoring on tallers gaurd with GOOD skills even though his were GREAT! 

It's a shame but there are a lot of very talented ,hard working kids that never get a look simply because there is a proto type player that most coaches look for.The kids that are in the gym at 6 am on there own are the ones that you could build a successful program with but a lot of them never get an opportunity.You can't teach heighth but you also can't teach heart and that's a huge piece of the puzzle.

It's a shame but there are a lot of very talented ,hard working kids that never get a look simply because there is a proto type player that most coaches look for.The kids that are in the gym at 6 am on there own are the ones that you could build a successful program with but a lot of them never get an opportunity.You can't teach heighth but you also can't teach heart and that's a huge piece of the puzzle.

Most coaches believe if any player is worth the look, he will already be under the radar.

• 2 weeks later...

It is true you cant teach hieght but just ask yourself this and you'll answer this question. Would you rather have a 5'8'' guard or a 6'4'' guard that can do the same things?

college coaches have a enough player to choose form to get the 6'4'' guard instead of the 5'8'' its that simple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami