Strake Jesuit

Guest aschrapps

How do you know they recruit?

Do you know that they had to take an entrance exam?

If they were going to recruit wouldn't they go after the like of Tiny Gallon, Tommy Mason Griffin and such?

Why is it okay that Port Arthur Memorial recruits players back from Kelly?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DickVitale

How do you know they recruit?

Do you know that they had to take an entrance exam?

If they were going to recruit wouldn't they go after the like of Tiny Gallon, Tommy Mason Griffin and such?

Why is it okay that Port Arthur Memorial recruits players back from Kelly?

BACK from Kelly means that they were PORT ARTHUR RESIDENTS to begin with.... ::) ::)....Those kids do not live in the Sharpstown area, I GUARANTEE that....I promise you that there were MANY other privates that they could have attended closer to their residents...Wanna challenge THAT notion. Its not a bad thing, but they are not being held to UIL standards as everyone else in UIL is.

Guest aschrapps

That still doesnt change anything. They are recruiting players that are attending another school. Your twisting the logic to make it prove your point. Also Strake is not in the sharpstown area so that makes no sense?

Guest DickVitale

That still doesnt change anything. They are recruiting players that are attending another school. Your twisting the logic to make it prove your point. Also Strake is not in the sharpstown area so that makes no sense?

YES IT IS! Gessner and Bellaire Blvd is STILL considered SHARPSTOWN! 3 blocks from SHARPSTOWN MALL! ::) ::)...Some may not want to admit it, being that is an "urban" area, but it is...you forget..I am FROM HOUSTON.... ::)

i can tell u from personal experience that strake does not recruit at all like some other private schools in houston.  Westbury christian and St. thomas especially do much more.  The coach at strake runs a tight ship.  My son played for houston hoops the past two years and we never participated in any tourney sponsored by strake.  Be careful about making assumptions.

Guest DickVitale

Yes, I know the Strake coach better than you think...He played for my dad in high school.... ;)..Great person, and has done a great job there...However, I know how he had to build that program from the ground BEFORE they got into UIL...As I said earlier, I KNOW the deal... ;)

Guest DickVitale

Dv knows everything about every program. How's high islands jv looking dv

Not EVERY program...Only the ones that matter.... ::) ::)....You mad at that? ::)

Guest aschrapps

Dickie V's Programs That Matter Elite List

1. Ozen

2. Ozen's JV

3. Ozen's Freshmen

4. Ozen's Summer League Team

5. Ozen's Pickup Game Teams

• 1 month later...

They don't have a set boundry that they have to pull from. Even with taking kids from 6 to 8 schools. These schools don't have boundries. So let say that kids in the Golden Triangle could go to any school that they wanted as long as they had the grades how long to you think it would take for someone to make alignments for football, basketball, baseball or any other sport they wanted to excel at.

Let say they could only have kids attend SJ that live within 8 miles of the school. I'm sure there are other private schools that have a good academic program for the kids. I wonder how far some of these kids come from to go to school at SJ???/

It doesn't matter, you can try and stock pile all the talent you want at a private school, but those students still have to perform in the classroom to stay in the school...  Did you see all these kids are going to top notch colleges?  These are smart kids that happen to play sports WELL!  It is hard recruiting in any area when you expect kids to perform in class.  I like the private school's involvement, Texas is one of the few states still behind...  Florida, Louisiana, East Coast, and Cali already allows this in there sports.  I would have an issue with prep schools but private school being allowed in UIL are fine with me. 

Don't be too surprised of this program continue to become a powerhouse thru 2013  and  beyond. The Harrison twins (Andrew and Aaron) are attending 8th grade there. They are going to be major players if they continue to improve...

I did see some of the Strake players in action and they didn't really impress me as being very athletic, but they are good. Also, we need to understand that if you can play a decent game of basketball and have the 'smarts", you will get a scholarship. Because it's important that these coaches graduate their players. It's certainly something coaches can fall back on especially during a losing season.

Guest nostradamus

And you don't have to perform in the classroom at a public school?  No pass no play is the same in public as it is in private.  So what it comes down to is that some believe teachers and curriculum at private schools are better/more difficult than those at a public school and that is not necessarily always true.

I can think of situations here in our area where I know for a fact that students could not stay eligible at a public school......checked into a private school and was eligible for 3 years........went back to the public school and couldn't stay eligible.....

And you don't have to perform in the classroom at a public school?  No pass no play is the same in public as it is in private.  So what it comes down to is that some believe teachers and curriculum at private schools are better/more difficult than those at a public school and that is not necessarily always true.

I can think of situations here in our area where I know for a fact that students could not stay eligible at a public school......checked into a private school and was eligible for 3 years........went back to the public school and couldn't stay eligible.....

Like Arcenio would say, "Things that may you go, hmmmmmm". I just wonder who you are talking about, Nos. ;) ;D

And while we're on the subject, how about the students who attend private school to get away from TAKS.

But these guys on this Strake Team are Ivy Leaguers... And Northwestern is known for its academic excellence.  When Strake starters to put out players with no form of further education we will ask questions then. 

Private schools in Texas have to take the TAKS!!!  However, they don't teach the TAKS like public schools.  They actually have a curriculum.  If you teach a child fundamentals they can apply it to the test.  When I was in school I learned fundamentals and applied them to the TAAS....  Now these kids are taught how to take the TAAS test for 85% (I pulled this figure out my butt, its probably higher) of the school year!  But I will get off my soapbox!

Guest nostradamus

Short,

You are DEAD WRONG about privates having to take the TAKS!  They DO NOT take the TAKS.  In fact, I know of several public school students who have checked out of public schools and into private schools at the end of their senior year so they can graduate because they couldn't pass the TAKS test in order to graduate from a public school.

I don't like the TAKS and don't agree with it BUT, private schools do not take the TAKS test.

Short,

You are DEAD WRONG about privates having to take the TAKS!  They DO NOT take the TAKS.  In fact, I know of several public school students who have checked out of public schools and into private schools at the end of their senior year so they can graduate because they couldn't pass the TAKS test in order to graduate from a public school.

I don't like the TAKS and don't agree with it BUT, private schools do not take the TAKS test.

This is correct. Privates do not take the TAKS. They do not fall under TEA. They do have a test that they take to show growth but do not have a standardize test to qualify for graduation or advancement.

Short,

True Nos! It has become a popular trend for Texas high school students who cannot pass TAKS to enroll in private schools in order to graduate. Some private schools give these students packets with their core curriculum to take home and complete in order to meet their graduation requirements.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124