BH Hurdler Johnson Ready for UH Challenge

eagle 09

Kevin Johnson didn’t grow up dreaming of running track in college, but the 6-foot-4, 175-pound Barbers Hill senior doesn’t see that as a hurdle.

In fact, Johnson signed scholarship papers Monday that will enable him to compete in the hurdles next year for the University of Houston.

“I was a freshman when coach said ‘Get your spikes, you’re going to be hurdling,’†Johnson recalled. “He put me in my freshman year and I got sixth at the JV meet.

“The next year, I got bigger and faster and got fifth at the varsity meet in the 300 hurdles. Last year, I qualified for regionals in the 300s and got fourth in the 110s.â€

Maybe it was finishing second in the District 19-4A 300 hurdles to eventual state champion Chance Casey of Crosby that did it.

But that was about the times priorities started to shift for Johnson, who has played safety and linebacker for the Barbers Hill football team.

“I always thought of myself as a football player and track was what I did to get into shape to get ready for football,†he said. “I decided I could go farther in track, so I went to some (track) camps this summer.

“The UH coaches liked my potential and they started calling me.â€

Two-time Olympian and former 100-meter world record holder Leroy Burrell heads up Houston’s storied track program that has produced 20 Olympic tracksters in all, including long jumper Carl Lewis.

“It’s going to be pretty good,†Johnson said. “I really like the program there. They are proven winners indoors and outdoors.

“They make their athletes work pretty hard. They don’t sell them short on that.â€

Kevin Johnson didn’t grow up dreaming of running track in college, but the 6-foot-4, 175-pound Barbers Hill senior doesn’t see that as a hurdle.

In fact, Johnson signed scholarship papers Monday that will enable him to compete in the hurdles next year for the University of Houston.

“I was a freshman when coach said ‘Get your spikes, you’re going to be hurdling,’†Johnson recalled. “He put me in my freshman year and I got sixth at the JV meet.

“The next year, I got bigger and faster and got fifth at the varsity meet in the 300 hurdles. Last year, I qualified for regionals in the 300s and got fourth in the 110s.â€

Maybe it was finishing second in the District 19-4A 300 hurdles to eventual state champion Chance Casey of Crosby that did it.

But that was about the times priorities started to shift for Johnson, who has played safety and linebacker for the Barbers Hill football team.

“I always thought of myself as a football player and track was what I did to get into shape to get ready for football,†he said. “I decided I could go farther in track, so I went to some (track) camps this summer.

“The UH coaches liked my potential and they started calling me.â€

Two-time Olympian and former 100-meter world record holder Leroy Burrell heads up Houston’s storied track program that has produced 20 Olympic tracksters in all, including long jumper Carl Lewis.

“It’s going to be pretty good,†Johnson said. “I really like the program there. They are proven winners indoors and outdoors.

“They make their athletes work pretty hard. They don’t sell them short on that.â€

getting out of distict in the 110h is going to be tough this year

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124