Vidor football....give me your opinions

the biggest problem with pirate football is that we are not allowed to be a team until junior high. We have two little league teams in town the VFW and the VJFA and playing ourselves instead of bigger and better competition is not going to make us a winner. I never understood why our town sits divided on this issue. Kids should learn to play other cities and see different levels of competition. You cant tell me that us just playing ourselves is not a huge factor when we reach high school. We even do it with our baseball leagues. What do you think?

I wouldn't figure that would matter. Many kids don't even play pop warner football and start out in JH. They do fine.

What I've always respected about Vidor is that at any time you guys can beat anyone. I know you seem to have a hard time getting over the hump every year but everybody better play you guys hard.

Guest Bridge City Card

Still to this day i can't figure out why Vidor doesn't do much when they get to varsity. They do well in Jr. High and through JV. Is it coaching on the Varsity level? I thought one of the LL teams travel now in Vidor?

the biggest problem with pirate football is that we are not allowed to be a team until junior high. We have two little league teams in town the VFW and the VJFA and playing ourselves instead of bigger and better competition is not going to make us a winner. I never understood why our town sits divided on this issue. Kids should learn to play other cities and see different levels of competition. You cant tell me that us just playing ourselves is not a huge factor when we reach high school. We even do it with our baseball leagues. What do you think?

Trying to say that Vidor does not win at the varsity level because of something that happens on the little league level is crazy. The well intentioned Dads that coach LL football do a great job, but there is nothing that happens at the LL level that really affects playing at the high school level.

Guest Kelly Football

I wouldn't say that. LL can have some affect as they get older. It's starts when you are young. Not saying that's all it is though, So Don't get me wrong.

I absolutely disagree with this. Vidor would fall into the same boat as a Katy or Westlake. Vidor doesn't have the athletes necessary to go out and roll all over a team like North Shore or Westfield. They better make sure they have a program in place. They need to learn that program from the moment they step into organized football. They need to learn and relearn and perfect that system as they go though junior high. and they better know the system like the back of their hand by the time they are 10th graders. Without great speed and athleticism, you have to out-execute the other team. You have to know everyone of your responsibilities. Every single player has to be in the right place and doing the right thing on every play. You have to be a well oiled machine. A good weight lifting program wouldn't hurt.

But I think in a situation where you don't have the athletes that other schools do, it definitely matters what they are doing as 8 or 9 years olds.

Trying to say that Vidor does not win at the varsity level because of something that happens on the little league level is crazy. The well intentioned Dads that coach LL football do a great job' date=' but there is nothing that happens at the LL level that really affects playing at the high school level.[/quote']

I absolutely disagree with your statement.

Many times hs/jh coaches have to reteach kids that have learned bad habits from peewee coaches.

I wouldn't start my kids playing football until the 7th grade. That is more than enough time to develop as a football player.

one more thing....ask the two leagues if they like each other and you will see fighting among both leagues over such things as using the junior high field or traveling, weight limits, who are the coaches things that shouldnt matter...kids start out learning negativity from the get go

The problem here is not who the LLs are or are not playing. You also can not expect teach kids in LLs a system that is used in high school or Jr high. I do believe that everyday a kid is playing and learning the game is beneficial. I think the problem is coaching. Not bad coaching, but the fact that at least every other year we are changing offensive and deffensive philosophies and schemes. This makes it impossible to begin teaching a kid on Jr. high or even a freshman team a system that they will eventually use on the varsity level. I do think that Vidor can compete and win year in and out. We have been right on the edge a couple of times.

I do like the changes we have made for this year. Getting back to Vidor football roots... 3 yards and a cloud of dust and strong defense. I'm not sure how it will go this year, after all changing from the spread to the wing-t on offense and 3-3 to 50 on defense, it will take some time. Just hope we will stick with it.

I can speak on both parts of the LLs and the school programs....i played at vfw til '99 then i helped start up the vjfa in '00 cause i asked my dad if there was a way we could travel like select baseball, so i'm one of the original players. vfw coaches teach to play dirty and dont teach the game right, but the vjfa coaches when i played based our play formations all on the high school's. now they didn't teach us all the right things we need to play varsity level now, but we still have the right idea's of what to do. since i play at the varsity level now i have some of the knowledge needed to play there....all it is, is different places, different ways of coaching

Are you kidding me? You are comparing Pop Warner football to High School football. Football is not a skilled sport where they need to begin at an early age developing skills like baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. There is no reason to start kids playing tackle football until 7th grade less time to learn poor habits from "Little League Dads". In fact the NFL recently said it would like to see more 7 on 7/ Flag at that age even up till H.S. because those are the skills that need to be taught and developed.

Now about Vidor not being successful at high school and all of the success at the younger levels remember:

1. its little league

2. VJHS plays half of the following PNG, Nederland, and LCM

3. Do not compete against Beaumont JHs

And the main reason don't blame coaches blame the breeding process.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83