How much is too much?

Bobcat1

When is a hard thing to say.

Tournaments you see it alot when coaches work on the press the entire game with different players in different situations. It is a good time for players to learn with each other and gain experience.

In a regular game, pull out of the press in the fourth if you are up over 20 or so. Then again, sometimes you don't feel safe even with a 20 point lead.

I think it all goes with how a coach feels the game is going and how comfortable she or he feels at the time.

Ask WOS football the dangers of not playing a full 4 quarters.... I think they were hurt in playoff games due to the fact that they had to take it easy on teams they were beating by 40+....

If you are working on your game and not trying to run it up for the sake of running it up, then go ahead....  as a coach, you are responsible for your team... not the feelings of the other team....

not to be harsh, but if you don't want to lose bad..... practice and get better....

If you are working on your game and not trying to run it up for the sake of running it up, then go ahead.... 

The only problem I have with this is...who cares whether your motives or good or bad.  If you are running it up, you're running it up, whether you are "working on your game" or not.  Thats a cop out and an excuse.  Gotta be better than that.  Not running up the score takes conscious effort.  If you don't care whether your team embarasses another team or not, then just say it...don't defend or make excuses for it.  Man-up...

Cowboysfan...not slamming you, just using your quote as example of how some folks "excuse" the behavior of the their team.  Your post finished strong, I respect that.

Some teams make a living with the press and simply don't know any other way to play the game.When teams don't shoot the ball particularly well they can make up for shortcomings by playing with pressure.It's extremely hard to reign in a bunch of 16,17 year old players when they are doing what they have been taught.Sometimes scores can be very misleading as in this weekends tourney games up in Colmesneil.Warrens' girls beat Latexo 76-8 and Warren doesn't play much pressure defense at all.The varsity normally doesn't carry but 7 players and wouldn't be considered one of the stronger clubs in the area so I'm not sure how you would pull off in a situation like this.You gotta feel for these clubs but the bottom line is they gotta work harder if they don't want to get embarrased.

Some teams make a living with the press and simply don't know any other way to play the game.When teams don't shoot the ball particularly well they can make up for shortcomings by playing with pressure.It's extremely hard to reign in a bunch of 16,17 year old players when they are doing what they have been taught.Sometimes scores can be very misleading as in this weekends tourney games up in Colmesneil.Warrens' girls beat Latexo 76-8 and Warren doesn't play much pressure defense at all.The varsity normally doesn't carry but 7 players and wouldn't be considered one of the stronger clubs in the area so I'm not sure how you would pull off in a situation like this.You gotta feel for these clubs but the bottom line is they gotta work harder if they don't want to get embarrased.

Good Post whsalum.  When you are on the wrong side of a good game, you must always remember that you can improve yourself through any circumstance.  Your CHARACTER and ATTITUDE about your team mates usually will show when you are getting you tail handed to you.  How a team bounces back after a loss of this magnitude will speak volumes for that team. 

Some teams make a living with the press and simply don't know any other way to play the game.

This is what I'm talking about...excuses and rationalizing.   How hard is it for a coach to say "get back!"?  Any team that "doesn't know any other way to play the game" and lives by the press will die by the press when they finally face a better team.  More excuses for bad sportsmanship.  Whether its a court or field, you can show honor to the other team if you desire.  If you choose not to, fine, but don't say you are unable to.  Sorry... telling it like it is.

I disagree.... if a situation arises where you can play people in different positions then get after it...  normally these lop-sided games happen when one team is just WAY more aggressive than the other team... at least in a press they have a chance to score...  backing them up to half court seems to lend itself to more points in that the defense steals the ball and then has a breakaway layup.  I think it does a disservice to tell your team to let up on defense.... (bad habits, etc...)  in a half court setting, ie. after a steal... run your offense.... 5-20 passes; ball has to touch a post first, etc....

There is a fine line between being classless and coaching your own team.... but.....there isn't anything in the rule book about being sensitive to the other teams feelings.

Hawk, you responded before I saved my edit, but I stand by it, lol.  I would NEVER say let up on defense, but to continue pressing when up by 50 with 5 min left (which I have seen this year in SETX) is asinine.  My opinion though.  Guess I'm an old softee  :)

And come on...if your going to get steals and layups in a half-court defense, your going to get them pressing for sure.  At least you can say you're making an effort.

different situations dictate different actions.  up 20 against a great team capable of scoring bunches of points in a short time, keep the press on.  up 20 against a weak team in a low-scoring game, take it off.  if you're going to give your bench players some time, i'd say it's okay to keep the press on, but at some point the game is out of reach and it becomes a matter of showing a little class and calling off the dogs.  there may not be anything in the rule book about being sensitive to the other team's feelings, but at the HS level, where kids are playing for the love of the game, it's important that we don't take the joy out of the game for teams who may not be as good as our own.  at this level a win is a win, and running up the score and demoralizing your opponents serves no purpose.

different situations dictate different actions.  up 20 against a great team capable of scoring bunches of points in a short time, keep the press on.  up 20 against a weak team in a low-scoring game, take it off.  if you're going to give your bench players some time, i'd say it's okay to keep the press on, but at some point the game is out of reach and it becomes a matter of showing a little class and calling off the dogs.  there may not be anything in the rule book about being sensitive to the other team's feelings, but at the HS level, where kids are playing for the love of the game, it's important that we don't take the joy out of the game for teams who may not be as good as our own.  at this level a win is a win, and running up the score and demoralizing your opponents serves no purpose.

You are right... running it up is bad..... running your offense and defense is not though.... offense can have limits..(passes, time, etc.......)

You are right... running it up is bad..... running your offense and defense is not though.... offense can have limits..(passes, time, etc.......)

absolutely... and if you MUST work on the press, even with a big lead, there's nothing to say that a team can't pull the ball back out after a steal and run their regular offense rather than making layup after layup.

absolutely... and if you MUST work on the press, even with a big lead, there's nothing to say that a team can't pull the ball back out after a steal and run their regular offense rather than making layup after layup.

Excellent point.

The game tonight was a perfect example of trying not to run up the score but HJ couldn't score for the other team. You keep talking about feelings. the winning team didn't benefit from that kind of game. The winner want get better unless they play competition. The tournament games just need to be scheduled better. Don't take a week team to a 4a tournament unless you can play. Tournaments should be scheduled so the best teams play the weaker teams in the first round so the consolation bracket is competitive. As the enterprises article about some tournaments schedule some of the best teams in the first round to get their team a easy road to the championship, in these tourneys there are a lot of blowouts. Thats poor sportsmanship.

I disagree.... if a situation arises where you can play people in different positions then get after it...  normally these lop-sided games happen when one team is just WAY more aggressive than the other team... at least in a press they have a chance to score...  backing them up to half court seems to lend itself to more points in that the defense steals the ball and then has a breakaway layup.  I think it does a disservice to tell your team to let up on defense.... (bad habits, etc...)  in a half court setting, ie. after a steal... run your offense.... 5-20 passes; ball has to touch a post first, etc....

There is a fine line between being classless and coaching your own team.... but.....there isn't anything in the rule book about being sensitive to the other teams feelings.

I feel the same way. Starts have to play atleast 3 periods of the game. then when you put in 2nd and 3rd string and still beat them you can't help it.  you can't tell the kids to play lightly. 

JUST REMEMBER THESE FACTS WHEN OTHER FOOTBALL TEAMS PUT 60 UP ON YOUR SCORE BOARD!!

Ok people... here ya go.... this should make some of you who think I am heartless ...happy.....

JV score...

HJ - 48

Kirbyville - 0

This game got ugly quick.... 27-0 at the end of the 1st.... running clock.... no press for the last 3 quarters...

1/2 court defense was pretty darn good.... 

you are right they did not full court press but HJ still 1/2 court tr aped the rest game.  They could have backed into a 2-3 but didn't. I understand why they did it, its their game!! I just think it is funny when the HJ fans complain and moan when Kirbyville puts 63 in football!!!  (their running the score up, their classless!!!) And now when the shoe is on the other foot, your trying to defend yourselves. 

As of running the score up the worst won I can remember Charles Brighupt!!! scoring almost 170 points against west Hardin...come on...they had 98 at half.... then decided to take it easy on them and back off into a 1/2 court press!!!  A 1/2 court press!!!! not a 2-3.

there you go, defending yourself.  there is a difference between a 2-3 and 1/2 court trap. a 2-3 is a  zone defense, a trap is to cause a turnover quick and score quick. It was apparent that the girls could not dribble well and yet they still did it when up 40 points and the other team had not even put one point on the board.

And don't say you didn't complain last year when Kirbyville put 63 on you. I heard it on all over the place.  In fact, I remember talking with some HJ fans  and questioned them when the BB girls had their starters in in the 4th last year and was up by 35 and their reply was "remember that football game"

So let me clarify this....it started on the football field....I don't think so... Kville has a great football program no doubt, but I still do not remember anyone complaining and saying that you were classless.  I havent seen anyone on here bragging about the game either, that would be classless in my opinion. CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG...... ;D

I watched this game and the truth is Kirbyville had several opportunities to score. They just happen to shoot and miss. This includes freethrows. HJ backed off big time after the first period. And it allowed Kirbyville several open shots. I'm not saying the shots were completely uncontested but you can't expect girls to turn their back on a play so the other team can score. I doubt Kirbyville would want that either. Kirbyville had a bad night but I'm sure they will recover.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder