Lake Travis vs. Friendswood/UPDATES/LT ROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest TravelingBandsman

I happened to get to see the LT vs Kileen game. Lake Travis is very good. I will also say that they have more than just Gilbert. They had 3 turnovers in the first quarter and were still up 22-0 at the end of the quarter. Their O line is dominant and I mean really dominant. Number 70 the left tackle has also committed to UT. That kid can flat out play. He hustled on every play. Not only blocking at the line of scrimmage but had really good speed and was blocking downfield after some of the shorter passes. Number 4 was their best receiver, he had great hands and ran precise patterns. The defense was good but not great. They will give up a couple or three scores to FW. I will  guess the FW game to end up around 56 to 21. Gilbert's backup at quarterback would start for most teams. He got a lot of playing time this year because they always got up big early. He is number 18 and is really fast. He will also throw a pass from a reverse after lining up as a receiver.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BigKelleyBoy, I honestly hope it is that close. But they have played some pretty good teams. They played Austin Westlake and Evangel out of La. in the pre-season and there district wasn't too bad either. It will be a tough contest for the Mustangs and I hope they don't get donkey stomped. But man I hope they can put a great game plan together and do the unthinkable. Hope to see some SETX fans there.

This is the hidden content, please

Garrett Gilbert, QB, #7 for Lake Travis...this kid is one to watch!  QB Garrett Gilbert, a Texas signee who is considered one of the top 20 players in the nation. Last season, Gilbert threw for 4,826 yards with 52 TDs and added another 400 yards and six TDs on the ground.

Central did exactly what they needed to win the game against Friendswood.  They kept the explosive Friendswood offense off the field by executing a well planned ball control scheme, Their D also did a nice job of containing Karam and company for the most part.  It came down to an average at best FW D stopping Central on numerous occasions, especially in the second half.    What this should tell people is that Friendswood is good enough to win a game even when its not at the pace they prefer.  Central gave it a galiant effort, but the better team won.  Friendswood would win this one more often by 14+, then the final result this past Saturday.

Friendswood most likely loses this next one, but with their wide open spread offense and (good enough to beat central) Defense they can keep it somewhat close. Central has a good Defense but its NOT that much better then Friendswoods, and the comparison of the two offenses is not even close.  Nice season Jags but the team with a little bit better chance is still playing.

This was wrote on behalf of all the folks that still believe that Central would be a better matchup for Lake Travis.

Central did exactly what they needed to win the game against Friendswood.  They kept the explosive Friendswood offense off the field by executing a well planned ball control scheme, Their D also did a nice job of containing Karam and company for the most part.  It came down to an average at best FW D stopping Central on numerous occasions, especially in the second half.    What this should tell people is that Friendswood is good enough to win a game even when its not at the pace they prefer.  Central gave it a galiant effort, but the better team won.  Friendswood would win this one more often by 14+, then the final result this past Saturday.

Friendswood most likely loses this next one, but with their wide open spread offense and (good enough to beat central) Defense they can keep it somewhat close. Central has a good Defense but its NOT that much better then Friendswoods, and the comparison of the two offenses is not even close.  Nice season Jags but the team with a little bit better chance is still playing.

This was wrote on behalf of all the folks that still believe that Central would be a better matchup for Lake Travis.

I don't believe either team has a chance against Lake Travis.  They are at a different level than any other team.  I think it would be cool to see Friendswood take down Goliath.  I jut don't think it will happen.

Dayton was running the ball extremely well last year against LT, things got out of hand when they started passing, maybe the key is to run the ball, eat up clock, and keep that high powered offense on the sidelines.

I like how you think, that will eventually open play action and the deep threat. Like any other playoff game, this will be about putting points up every possesion and making the most of turnovers.

Dayton was running the ball extremely well last year against LT, things got out of hand when they started passing, maybe the key is to run the ball, eat up clock, and keep that high powered offense on the sidelines.

I like how you think, that will eventually open play action and the deep threat. Like any other playoff game, this will be about putting points up every possesion and making the most of turnovers.

They'll give you the underneath, they won't give you the big play.  Dayton was moving the ball on the ground and through the air but killed themselves with turnovers trying to throw a 14 point touchdown pass in the second half.  They doubled AJ and took him out of the game.  Dayton had the #1 scoring defense regardless of division in the state going into that game. 

Gatorade National Football Player of the Year: Garrett Gilbert

AUSTIN, Texas, Dec. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- In its third decade of honoring the nation's best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, in partnership with ESPN RISE Magazine, today announced senior quarterback Garrett Gilbert of Lake Travis High School (Austin, Texas) as its 2008-09 Gatorade National Football Player of the Year. Gilbert is the first-ever player from the state ofTexas to win Gatorade National Football Player of the Year honors.

The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the field, distinguishes Gilbert as the nation's best high school football player. A national advisory board comprised of sportswriters and sport-specific experts from around the country helped to select Gilbert from more than one million high school football players nationwide. Gilbert is now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade Male High School Athlete of the Year Award, to be presented at a special afternoon ceremony prior to The ESPY Awards in July.

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound senior quarterback has completed 256-of-372 passes for 4,231 yards and 48 touchdowns against just five interceptions this season for the Cavaliers (14-0) entering the Class 4A Division I semifinals against Friendswood scheduled for Dec. 13. A 2009 Under Armour All-American and 2008 Elite 11 quarterback camp selection, Gilbert had also rushed for 557 yards and 18 touchdowns on 84 carries at the time of his selection.

A returning Class 4A First Team All-State selection as named by the Texas Sports Writers Association, he has completed 849-of-1,304 passes for 11,918 yards and 129 touchdowns in his career through 14 games this year. He ranks second in the state all-time (to former Ennis High and current Texas Tech senior quarterback Graham Harrell) in career passing touchdowns, and (to former Baytown Lee High and current Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Drew Tate) in passing attempts and passing completions.

The son of former NFL quarterback Gale Gilbert, Garrett has maintained a 3.78 GPA in the classroom. He has volunteered extensively as part of the Lake Hills Church community's vacation bible school and weekly youth group, as well as for Lake Travis Pop Warner Football and the Lake Travis Youth Association.

"He's on another level," said Chris Ross, head coach of rival Cedar Park High. "I've coached 14 years and I've coached kids who've gone on to play in the NFL and against kids who've gone on to play in the NFL and I've never been on a football field with a player like him before. I've met him personally and got to talk to him a number of times and you can tell immediately that he's unique. He's unbelievably impressive as a person and as a quarterback."

Gilbert has verbally committed to a football scholarship at the University of Texas next fall.

"Without question, Garrett is deserving of recognition as the nation's best high school football player based on his statistics on the field and the impact his play has had on Lake Travis' success," said Gatorade Senior Vice President of Sports Marketing Jeff Urban. "But he is also a shining example to peers and aspiring young players of what a leader and a student-athlete should be. He represents everything we hope for in a Gatorade Player of the Year recipient."

The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball, and boys and girls track & field, and awards one National Player of the Year in each sport. The selection process is administered by ESPN RISE Magazine, which works with top sport-specific experts and a media advisory board of accomplished, veteran prep sports journalists to determine the state winners in each sport.

For more on the Gatorade Player of the Year program, including nomination information and lists of past winners and future announcement dates, visit gatorade.com/playeroftheyear.

Dont take anything away from travis but they havnt played the hardest teams. To come out of the houston area is a whole lot harder than coming out of the austin area. i know Lt is big and yes they will probly come out on top. but they will NOT blow us out. LT 48 friendswood 42

Haha, man ya'll just don't know.  When you guys are driving back to Houston your going to be talking about how good that Gilbert kid was after he scorched the mighty mustangs for over 50 points.  Reality will come this weekend.

There is no doubt he is a very very good football player. But it takes 22 to tango and while the odds are high - we are going to play the game hard. Both of our teams would have a tough road to hoe vs LT, but both teams , FW and BC, are worthy of the chance - FW won this time and we will give it a go. Thanks for all the support for Region 3! Good luck next year BC.

I havn't seen him play yet, but he obviously has talent to put up those stats and win Gatorade player of the year; however i watched film over him in our field house, and he didn't do much more than I have seen Jacob Karam do.. don't blow up on me, but did they even play a difficult schedule?

I havn't seen him play yet, but he obviously has talent to put up those stats and win Gatorade player of the year; however i watched film over him in our field house, and he didn't do much more than I have seen Jacob Karam do.. don't blow up on me, but did they even play a difficult schedule?

you've gotta watch the offense as a whole. It's a trip how people look at Gilbert and don't realize when he rolls out his running under half speed, but no one's even close to sacking him. Fellas, that means his line is blocking. And if you give him this kind of time to roll out, he kills you with presission passes.  8) 8)

you've gotta watch the offense as a whole. It's a trip how people look at Gilbert and don't realize when he rolls out his running under half speed, but no one's even close to sacking him. Fellas, that means his line is blocking. And if you give him this kind of time to roll out, he kills you with presission passes.  8) 8)

This sums it up the best.  He won't look any different from JK until you see him work pre-snap.  This kid sees the field like Peyton Manning.  It won't hit you how good he is until you see him live.  I didn't believe it watching highlights last year either...then I saw him live twice.  Wow, kid is on another level from anyone else in Texas.

I will be the first to admit that LT is a huge favorite. And I will come eat crow if it is served, But we have to play the game to see.

I think that FW will give LT a better game than anybody gives them a chance to. Stuff happens on the field: Gilbert blows out a knee on the 2nd play; Aggie ghosts recognize a longhorn and curse him with a case of hives; who knows?

Are they human? YES. That means they can be beat. The gods of karma may strike them down after laying 70 on Killeen. Maybe many of you get your dearest wish and we lose by 40. But it comes to this: We get to try, our kids get to go on that field and lay it all on the line. I think many of you have lost sight of the fact that these are teenage boys, playing their hearts out and busting their butts. Give them the respect they deserve and applaude their efforts. Wish them luck and send them on their way. If you dont like some of our fans..Well...I dont like some of our fans either, or some of yours. Dont denigrate what these kids are doing because somebody yanks your chain.

I for one would never speak ill of Friendswoods player or any others for that matter. My perspective is always as a fan and my comments earlier in the thread were to let the fans know how they would be feeling as the game progresses. Friendswood is a thorn in Daytons side and deserves our respect not just because they beat us this year but because they are good team.

That said, good isn't good enough when it comes to playing Lake Travis...

I will be the first to admit that LT is a huge favorite. And I will come eat crow if it is served, But we have to play the game to see.

I think that FW will give LT a better game than anybody gives them a chance to. Stuff happens on the field: Gilbert blows out a knee on the 2nd play; Aggie ghosts recognize a longhorn and curse him with a case of hives; who knows?

Are they human? YES. That means they can be beat. The gods of karma may strike them down after laying 70 on Killeen. Maybe many of you get your dearest wish and we lose by 40. But it comes to this: We get to try, our kids get to go on that field and lay it all on the line. I think many of you have lost sight of the fact that these are teenage boys, playing their hearts out and busting their butts. Give them the respect they deserve and applaude their efforts. Wish them luck and send them on their way. If you dont like some of our fans..Well...I dont like some of our fans either, or some of yours. Dont denigrate what these kids are doing because somebody yanks your chain.

I for one would never speak ill of Friendswoods player or any others for that matter. My perspective is always as a fan and my comments earlier in the thread were to let the fans know how they would be feeling as the game progresses. Friendswood is a thorn in Daytons side and deserves our respect not just because they beat us this year but because they are good team.

That said, good isn't good enough when it comes to playing Lake Travis...

I've seen FW play and I've seen LT play.  Two totally different levels of football.  The only way FW doesn't lose this game is if Hurrican Ike hits College Station.  Sorry gents.

Well two good teams hook up against each other and 1 will lose.Lake Travis has a little pressure on their back also defending their title of 07 and a few weeks ago a few other teams were hanging with them thru 3 qtrs.I think Lake Travis pulls away late in the 3rd qtr.and puts the game out of reach.

I hear that about some fans.  Seems like that is true all over the state.  As for LT dropping off if Gilbert is injured, there won't be much of a drop off.  His sophomore backup, Michael Brewer, is probably about as good as Garrett was as a sophomore, just hasn't had the opportunity to play as much as Garrett did.  He has never lost a game and led the team to the last three touchdowns last week.  We are looking forward to coming to Kyle Field to play the Mustangs.  Lake Travis had little respect last year when the playoffs started.  You have to earn it on the field.  They earned it by knocking off the highly touted teams like Tivy, Calallen, Dayton and Highland Park.  This year their nondistrict games were against 3 5A teams and Evangel Christian from Louisiana.  Two of the other teams from their district played in the quarter finals.  The fourth was barely knocked out by Tivy who plays Dayton this weekend, so they have played some good teams this year.  Still you don't win championships by rankings or reputations.  Until the time has expired on the scoreboard and you are still down to the other team, you still have a chance.  That is why LT will not be taking Friendswood lightly this Saturday.  The Cavs are determined to repeat this year, so all I can say is "Bring your A game."  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder