J'Covan Brown makes it into Texas

Guest mffl

So I take it that he will have his high school diploma and score high enough on the SAT to enroll at tu for the spring?

I'll believe it when I see it. ::)

It seems odd that the whorns are this desperate for a player. They really don't need this baggage.

I hope it is true, however until someone from UT officially announces it it will all be speculation!!!!

I don't know if anyone has seen this, but Texas has the #2 recruiting class coming in next year (3 absolute Studs), and already have 2 or 3 Top 20 commitments for the 2010 class.  In saying that, I really can't imagine Rick Barnes taking on the risk with the players coming to the 40 Acres. 

I hope I'm wrong and I hope DV is wrong about the admission thing, but I DON"T THINK THAT IS THE CASE!!!!!  Lets just hope and pray he gets his act together WHERE EVER he ends up playing.  Kid is WAY WAY too talented to be setting on the sidelines watching ball instead of playing.

I saw him the other night and he told me that was happening. I did not really believe him. This actually makes it sound more possible to me. I wish the kid the best of luck. He is definitely the most talented high school kid that I have ever seen. If he can get his head together and do things right I think that he could change his families life forever.

I saw him the other night and he told me that was happening. I did not really believe him. This actually makes it sound more possible to me. I wish the kid the best of luck. He is definitely the most talented high school kid that I have ever seen. If he can get his head together and do things right I think that he could change his families life forever.

Why wouldnt you believe what he told you you asked the perfect source; thats if you actually talked to him? you ppl on here be tripping me out with all that bull yall be talking....

Oh yea and he will be enrolled at THE University of Texas next semester

Why wouldnt you believe what he told you you asked the perfect source; thats if you actually talked to him? you ppl on here be tripping me out with all that bull yall be talking....

Oh yea and he will be enrolled at THE University of Texas next semester

Well considering he was 100% going to be enrolled in the fall up until the day classes start, atleast that is what the parties envolved said, and then he ended up staying in P. Arthur.  You could probably understand why someone would want to see it happen before believing it.  Because after all its something we been hearing for a long time, and yet to see it really happen. 

But once again good luck to the kid.  He really has great talent and lets just hope puts it to great use.

There are a few things very good players have in common:

1.  Attitude - There is a humility that these players have. I'm talking about confident and not cocky

being a strong point. Realizing that I'm not perfect and I do not know everything, please

coach me. Maybe the most important is if things do not go right for me. I'm not going to

pout of show my butt, I'm going to deal with it support my team and learn form it.

2. Heart -    There is a reason why the very good ones win BIG. They've invested large amounts of time

to their craft.  They realize they might not can do it own their own, but they will not go

down easy.They are willing to make whatever sacrifice is necessary for the team to win.

Magic Johnson is a great example of this...Could score but had a different kind of role....

3.Commitment - This is what I believe kids may stuggle with the most. In this day and time, there are

numerous distractions. Kids get satisfied with how good they are now, and do not see

how good they might become.  Burnout plays a part, but i'm not sold on this. I believe if

kids get early attention, it tends to help them become satisfied of where they are..

In alot of cases, kids tend to lose their drive.....

4. Physical -  The history goes back years..Those kids who have all the tools and do not have the

others mentioned above. Hate to see kids who end up playing too early in the adult

rec leagues..Texas was on ESPN vs UCLA the other night...I heard this young man was

down at the PA league wearin out some old dudes....  does not really compare..Hope he

reads this....It's not too late, at least not yet!!!!!

Okay, here is something else to consider and you may want to check on this, especially if someone on here is a UT student or recent grad. If you score low on the THEA or COMPASS (Test), UT will send their applicants to Austin Community College. Does UT offer any developmental classes to their students?

i hope it works out for him.  as a Texas fan, and a local sports fan, it would be nice to see him get his act together and play for the horns.  while i can understand the skepticism from some of you, it seems like a lot of people on here almost WANT him to fail.  this makes no sense to me.  as southeast texans, we should be united in rooting for him to succeed.  hopefully he's grown up a bit over the past year and is ready to realize his full potential as a basketball player, and as a person. 

Okay, here is something else to consider and you may want to check on this, especially if someone on here is a UT student or recent grad. If you score low on the THEA or COMPASS (Test), UT will send their applicants to Austin Community College. Does UT offer any developmental classes to their students?

I have a son who attends UT,he was the class valedictorian  ;D ;D ;D, but to answer your quetion UT does have developemental classes for incoming freshmen and actually require you to take at least 1.Austin Community College is a great place to get some of your elective courses out of the way.They won't figure in on his UT GPA but the would be hours toward his degree.He will really have to buckle down on the studies to be able to play and stay eligible.

i hope it works out for him.  as a Texas fan, and a local sports fan, it would be nice to see him get his act together and play for the horns.  while i can understand the skepticism from some of you, it seems like a lot of people on here almost WANT him to fail.  this makes no sense to me.  as southeast texans, we should be united in rooting for him to succeed.  hopefully he's grown up a bit over the past year and is ready to realize his full potential as a basketball player, and as a person. 

I feel the same way, it almost feel like you guys look down on Port Arthur and its athletes....

For me, it's not from a view I wish for him to fail at all. I've mainly expressed my opinions from an academic point of view, not basketball. Yes, he has become a poster child for some of us who are parents and maybe for  the kids in the future who will hopefully learn from Brown's experiences. I'd love for this kid to overcome his hurdles. What a backdrop for an inspirational story.

Guest tigersvoice

I feel the same way, it almost feel like you guys look down on Port Arthur and its athletes....

I respectfully disagree that "A lot of people on here almost WANT

him to fail."  I would agree that there may be a few, but I honestly believe that MOST would like for the young Mr. Brown to somehow come to his senses and do what is required to be able to showcase his basketball talent.  This is not a new theme.  Surely someone close to him has expressed this to him; probably more than once.  So, where do you think the problem lies?  Then, from ANY college's standpoint, how much time do you spend on a youngster who has contiually displayed an uncooperative attitude?  Not a lot because there are a lot of student-athletes out there with all the credentials to play in college if you just find them.  Now, having said all these good things, I will say that I posted on this forum, immediately after it was announced that J'Covan was going to University of Texas, that I did not expect him to ever play a minute in a Longhorn uniform.  My opinion was from an academic standpoint only.  It wasn't a put-down, it wasn't a slam on his character - it was simply my opinion that J'Covan had not properly prepared himself to play big-time college basketball - anywhere!  

It's not PT Arthur, it's the kid.  I felt the same way when he was misbehaving at Kelly.  I do hope he has grown up and realized that it's not always all about him.  When he does(if he does)  I will pull for him just like any other area kid.

again... let the kid be.....  you guys are amazing!

Ah-hh hjhawks, this is an open forum to discuss current topics of interests. He has become a poster child. Hopefully we can learn from this and not see a repeat of this situation in our own sons or relatives.

If "we" are responsible parents or relatives, "we" wouldn't need to use anyone as an example.....  especially a kid.

Remember the old quote about people who live in glass houses......??

again... let the kid be.....  you guys are amazing!

Ah-hh hjhawks, this is an open forum to discuss current topics of interests. He has become a poster child. Hopefully we can learn from this and not see a repeat of this situation in our own sons or relatives.

If "we" are responsible parents or relatives, "we" wouldn't need to use anyone as an example.....  especially a kid.

Remember the old quote about people who live in glass houses......??

Well as big Betty used to tell me "you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you've got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth...cause ill break ur face"

If Texas really needs him they will fix him... ;D.  You act like it's the end of the world. The way you talk about him it seems like he couldn't handle the physicality of Texas basketball.  I'm not very excitable, but there were several times I wanted to run down to the court and show UCLA my size 11 boot.  Dem boys play rough ya herr, n I thank Coco would go as wild as a coon with his head in a beer bottle...n if yew ain never seen that, sonny boy what a fight!  Also, in my opinion UGS courses won't help him one bit. A disciplined schedule and daily routine would do him best, and they would give him that at Texas.  Like I said, they may want him, but when they need him he'll be here.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83