BRAWL IN LUMBERTON & B.C PEE WEE GAME???

Guest kf89

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one game this year my sons come off the field saying the other team was "trash talking". I don't let my boys trash talk because all it does is lead to anger and hard feelings. My advice to them, "Hit them harder and harder, when they stop trash talking you know you hit them hard enough." That is part of the game.

Hopefully, QueenB is joking, but I'm afraid she is not.        :(

i was serious.  Of course, my idea of trash talking is probably not what a lot of people consider it.  Trash talking to me is: "I'm gonna knock you to the ground" "You won't get passed me" "I'm gonna get  you" "Better be scared of me" etc.  It does not include calling names, cursing, or threats of severe bodily harm.

As a matter of fact, just so those who play against my son's team (WOS Jr. Blue): they get into trouble by Coach Rod and personally, my son would get into trouble by me and his dad, if they tackle someone on the field and is rude about if afterwards.  They are taught to be good sportsmanlike about the whole thing.

To have someone who actually says that his/her child does not "fight" and yet their child is on a hard hitting football team (and I have yet to see a team that is NOT hard hitting), that just struck me wrong due to the fact that the kids do "fight" when they play football.  How else do they come away from the games bruised up and sore all the time?

Now, if you really want my opinion about this ADULT fighting: shame on each and every one of them.  I don't care if they are from BC or Lumberton or WO or LCM or anywhere THAT WAS JUST PLAIN STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE!  They all should be punished for their stupidity.  Lifetime ban?  I think that is harsh. 

But then again, I don't know exactly what was said to each other.  When I was told by a person who WAS there that the people of BC was called Hurricane Trash, that ticked me off and my immediate response was to become angry .. and I don't even live in BC.  At the same time, I cringed when I saw the video and all I saw was fist flying from the BC people.

Again, Shame on everyone involved in this sad, sad situation.

I've coached in the YMCA league for 5 yrs.  Last yr., when we were forced to play against a certain un-named city, there were at least 2 times when the parents were coming across the field to take on the other side, because they didn't agree with the game, I suppose.  On 1 occaision, a mother met us all out in the middle of the field, griping to the refs, because her little boy was getting knocked down.  (playing football no less)

What I'm saying is, these times seem to extremely volitile times.  This era seems to think that their kids can do no wrong, and they should always come out winners. Even when teams win, I can hear little kids dogging the losing team as they meet at mid field after their games. The idea of being a graceful winner and and not a sore loser seems to be lost.  It's sad really, but little wonder, when more and more, you hear parents right in the middle of the trash talking.  These kids learn from us, whether we think they're paying attention or not.  This sad incident is a prime example of what our kids are picking up from us, (or from the TV footage).  Let's hope (& pray) that the environment changes, or kids sports could be in jeapardy of being shut down, and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves....as the kids suffer.

Well said Proud, I'm a firm believer that sports DO NOT  build character... sports REVEALS character.  So much is revealed when you're in the heat of competition, who you truly are comes to the surface, I'm a firm believer in this and I see it played out all the time on the field of competition.

Well, I wasn't at the game and did see a tad bit of video, but none of that really matters.

Most youth sports have parents who desperately try to live their dreams through their children (and this is not just boys' sports).  I just think that this is extremely sad.  And, recall, I said most sports in most towns. 

While it does matter who started this unfortunate incident, it also matters that this continued on and I firmly believe that incidents cannot progress unless more than one party participates in the incident.  It does not matter that one person started it, it matters that grown adults have to behave in this manner and anyone involved apparently did not have enough respect for any of the kids on the field or off of the field, therefore, they should be banned from the league.  Not the entire team, but all involved (adults that is). 

I heard on the news that no charges would be filed and I can honestly say that I was not at all surprised.  I don't agree because I think that these types of voluntary, irresponsible actions should be made examples of...these were adults.  Charges should have been filed and followed through.

I have to believe that if this had happened some other towns, the outcome might have been a tad more drastic...as it should have been.

All of this has really reinforced my belief that my son has had some awesome coaches so far.  After his games this year, both his football and his baseball coaches have told the teams "I don't want to hear anything out of you other than Good Game" before the handshakes.  Guess I need to add them to our Christmas cookie list  ;D.

No creepyhippy, just dumbed down for you.

You know player 666, whats creepy is the attention you are giving me.  Almost like the girl that's mean to you because she really likes you  :o

Thank God I'm married with children........ :P

That really makes alot of sense traffichippy, it sounds to me like you were one of the clowns involved in the whole embarrising situation. And if you were you were not involved you should not try to take up for idiot coaches that your league put on the field. The board is in charge of the coaches and if they can not handle them, then the STJFL should.

66 is right on the money. You can surely dish it out but you sure as heck cant take it.  :'(

I am not sticking up for tragic as he is a grown man and can do that by himself, but seems to me people did not call Billy Martin, Bobby Knight, and Woody Hayes clowns in their coaching eras. Sometimes GOOD people do Bad things in the heat of the moment. I don't know any of these people and certainly was not there. They were wrong and they were punished, doesn't make them terrorists or even bad people.

You know player 666, whats creepy is the attention you are giving me.  Almost like the girl that's mean to you because she really likes you  :o

That really makes alot of sense traffichippy, it sounds to me like you were one of the clowns involved in the whole embarrising situation. And if you were you were not involved you should not try to take up for idiot coaches that your league put on the field. The board is in charge of the coaches and if they can not handle them, then the STJFL should.

66 is right on the money. You can surely dish it out but you sure as heck cant take it.  :'(

All of this has really reinforced my belief that my son has had some awesome coaches so far.  After his games this year, both his football and his baseball coaches have told the teams "I don't want to hear anything out of you other than Good Game" before the handshakes.  Guess I need to add them to our Christmas cookie list  ;D.

This crap here reinforces my belief in that my son will never play for another coach but DL as long as hes in youth football, he dont put up with any crap and will yank a player in a heartbeat, and these kids will do anything he saysevery kid after our game saturday wanted a picture with coach and just about everyone of the kids either shook his hand or hugged him

This crap here reinforces my belief in that my son will never play for another coach but DL as long as hes in youth football, he dont put up with any crap and will yank a player in a heartbeat, and these kids will do anything he saysevery kid after our game saturday wanted a picture with coach and just about everyone of the kids either shook his hand or hugged him

You know the STJFL has a draft policy, so you are saying if you son is not drafted by DL he is not playing?

You guys apparently cant read.  If your trying to kill me with stupidity, then its working.....I'm on my knees.......  Roughrider, you made comment to ban both "towns". I call you on that(because it was a stupid suggestion) and I cant take it??? You voice your opinion and its an opinion. I call you on it and I cant take it??

Read my post Roughrider, pay attention, I was not involved. I actually was on Lumberton sideline when this happened and stayed there. I watched it all. My son was one of the players on the team that "watched in horror as the fight broke out". Him and I went to McDonald's after the game and had a talk about it and it was soon forgotten over chicken nuggets. I told him that was two good coaches that really screwed up and that's not what the games about. He's 7 but understood. He looked up to his coach and I will not take that away from either.

And by the way, the STJFL made there decisions about all involved and I would assume they are happy with those decisions, why cant you be????????????

I am not sticking up for tragic as he is a grown man and can do that by himself, but seems to me people did not call Billy Martin, Bobby Knight, and Woody Hayes clowns in their coaching eras. Sometimes GOOD people do Bad things in the heat of the moment. I don't know any of these people and certainly was not there. They were wrong and they were punished, doesn't make them terrorists or even bad people.

dragon, that is a bad analogy comapring these guys to some of the most famous idiots of all time in Knight, Martin, and Hayes...were they successful on the field/court? yes...woudl I want my kid to play for any of these nuts...no...i realize that this may be my opinion only, but I am sure that many others look at these guys in a not so favorable light.

You may look at them in a bad light but the fact is they are ALL HAME OF FAME COACHES. I am not saying the inceident was not wrong, but lets not feed everyone there and the towns to the wolves.

dragon, that is a bad analogy comapring these guys to some of the most famous idiots of all time in Knight, Martin, and Hayes...were they successful on the field/court? yes...woudl I want my kid to play for any of these nuts...no...i realize that this may be my opinion only, but I am sure that many others look at these guys in a not so favorable light.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder