Mauriceville 8th Grade Football

hey senior77 - from watching Friday night games it appears that most of the Mauriceville boy's are on the field.  Heck - two thirds of the sophomores starting this year and one freshman (first freshman since Earl Thomas played two game before jumping to WO-S) are former Panthers.  The only seventh grade team they played was Lumberton about 5 years ago.  They played Newton, Deweyville, Kountze, and Silsbee the past few years and St. Anne is a dang good team for being a private school.  Anyway - thanks for the complement but don't knock the boy's because they don't play too many 4A teams.  They only had 21 8th graders this year.  CO and Lumberton had over 80 each and LC has a lot more to choose from also.

I am in no way knocking these kids. I was just letting mom know that you cant hang your hat on the number of jr. high wins. Also playing schools such as Deweyville and Kountze is a huge difference than playing a Nederland or a Vidor when it comes to numbers. LCM 7th grade total is probably about 30. I REPEAT I WAS NOT KNOCKING THESE YOUNG MEN !

Both MMS and LCJH feed into LC-M - a 4A school.  LCJH has about 500 kids and MMS about 225.  There is a difference in numbers.  PLAIN AS DAY.  Just about every 7th and 8th grade boy at MMS plays.  Less than half of the boy's play at LCJH.  That is why the numbers look even on a Tuesday night.  My kid plays and always gets jabbed whether MMS wins or looses.  That's a shame for the kids.  It seems that there will always be negative comments made but nevertheless - MMS will always find a way to have a successful program.  I'm sure if they went out and got slammed by CO or Lumberton or some other huge 4A school, some people would find joy in that.  Shame on them - they're not fans of kids.  I'm glad for my kid, the rest of the kid's, and the Mauriceville community.  The negative doesn't come from over here.

I get what your saying 77.  People in Mauriceville are sensitive at times because of the backlash they get plus the feeling of not belonging. Seems everyone wants to find fault with the winning.  We are proud of our kids -- none of the games were easy.  If you were at the game, you could tell they were evenly matched games for the most part.  Now, beating someone 24-0 -- of course they were not good.  I can remember going to St. Anne's in years past and thinking we were playing Kelly's JV or Varsity.  All schools go thru spurts when you have athletes and when you run into dry spells.  

I think LCM's problems run deeper than who the Jr. highs are playing or who they are not.  I know Dan Hook's attends the junior high games at WOSMS.  I think the kids need to know the coaches at High school believe in them and want them to play.  Your athletic director should be interested and SHOW IT to the jr.high kids because that is his future team.  LCM has GREAT potential at both jr. highs but something gets lost in those 9th and 10th grade years.  Granted -- every school has issues but LCM's are kicking us in the butt.  It has got to change!!!!!!!!!

Untill LCM gets an ad that will spend a little time at the jr high level which is what the current ad said he was going to do (and hasnt) things will continue to be tuff at LCM yes they can compete but they need more help at the lower levels. They need more coaches down ther even if it means bringing a high school coach down once or twice a week. I have sat through 11 or 12 years non stop of LCM getting that a**whipped so that is probably more than most but not as many as some. I as much as anyone would love to see them turn it around so no I dont want to see them get slammed as you put it.I was simply making a statement to panther fan.

For the record St. Anne is 9-4-1 against MMs. With 3 losses coming when St. Anne. had less than 5- 8th graders on the team. With this years team starting 3 6th graders. And with your back to back undefeated teams, you beat a St. Anne team that started 10 7th graders. And with your undefeated team two years ago, they started 4 8th graders. See you next year.

AMEN 77!!!!!!!!!! :)  I remember when Moody came on board -- he made a big deal about starting at the Jr. highs.  Nothing has happen.  I love the idea of a High school coach coming down and showing the boys some attention.  It all starts at jr. high.  Get them hooked and they will love it and want to play for the coaches and have a sense of team pride.  Be proud to be a Panther, Cub & Bear.  Right now, there is little pride.  Guess that is why we are so sensitive about our undefeated season.  We got a lot of PANTHER PRIDE.

I too haven't miss too many Friday night whippings in the past 13 years.  It is tough when you know we got talent.   :-\

And for the record lets compare schedules for the past 5 years. Co wilson beat us last year22-16. A co team that went undefeated in a strong 4a district. Your schedule was what, Barbers Hill "B" team, Legacy, Groves which lost every game this year and basically a St. Anne 7ht grade team.

I understand 77 - but what about the coaches at the junior high now?  I now the coach at MMS has been there forever and at times coached solo.  This year he had help from a freshman in college and they still got the job done.  I think some credit should go to that guy for finding ways to get the job done year in and year out.  And LC has some coaches that have been coaching for a while also.  I have been hearing that a lot of people are trying to blame the junior highs for the high school teams lack of success.  I think these kids get there ready to learn.  The ball is dropped once they get there.  Anyone agree with me there?  Didn't the baseball staff coach freshman football this year?  

Exactly the problem. The fact that a coach is coaching solo is the problem. Sure he has done a great job and so has Joe.V but they should have more help and when a kid see's a high school coach down there taking an interest it really gets them fired up to keep playing. How many coaches are coaching the 7th grade at MMS?  As for coaching the 7th at LCM it was 2 young brand new coaches thats not a bad thing I just think it would be good to have them all at one school learning things at the same level with more coaching help.

Hey bassman - obviously you're not a Panther fan and are not going to say anything nice about the kids or the program.  It's negative comments like yours that hurt the kids.  Your apparently bent on putting down the MMS kids and thats not what this post is about.  As a parent, we were simply trying to commend the kids on a good season.  Two hurricanes and a lot heartbreak in a community where we had a football team bring a little "good news" with it's season.  So go ahead and tell us how good you are and how unworthy we are to even step on the field.  I am still proud of my son and his friends no matter who they played.  GO MAURICEVILLE!

I am all about the kids, but when you talk about how good mms when they beat teams that they should and then make excuses about not playing bigger schools. I mean back to back rings in jr. high. Then those kids get to high school and the competition is a lot better and they don't do as good and all the blame is on the h.s.coaches.Thats not fair.I know one year st. anne beat every bmt. middle school, co and central and mms. I never said mms did not have a good team this year, they did, but who did they beat. St. anne has a school as small or smaller than MMs but they still play bigger schools and do quite well. St. anne has about 60 total boys in 7th and 8th grade.They have to let 6th graders play just to have two teams. They only won 2 games this year but they will still try to play the best competition they can find.

No one is trying to say MMS is the best team out there.  If you ask me it's C.O. hands down then Lumberton, Vidor, and WO-S may be just as good as anyone.  We're just trying to say "good year boy's - we're proud of you".  MMS puts together a good schedule year in and year out.  No one is making excuses about not playing bigger schools either.  They are not in the 4A district so they play who they can sometimes.  If St. Anne wants to play CO and Bmt. schools then go ahead.  We are not trying to compare the two.  And remember it is junior high.  Does anyone other than us parents know if St. Anne or MMS won or lost?  Not really - most eyes are on Friday night.  Does anyone really care - Not really.  So please don't take this as a parent trying to say his son's team is better - I have seen them in years past and even had my son's coach say that St. Anne was the best team MMS plays year in and year out. 

Guest jackbquick

Hey jackbquick - Mauriceville played Groves (24-0), Barbers Hill (23-7), St. Annes twice (50-14, 24-0), and Legacy Christian (44-0). They didn't play LC because LC-M admin chose not to.  It would be a good game and a close one because LC is a strong group too.  LC-M should have another strong freshman group next year.  Mauricville does not play in the 4A district because they are about 200+ kids behind the next smallest school in the district.    

So who chooses that Mauriceville not play in that district.Do people really think both jr highs  playing different schedules and recognizing one for their undefeated record and not the other is fair to all kids of that district considering one is playing a much tougher schedule. At least they could play each other to see who should get the bragging rights, instead of one getting the bragging rights for having an undefeated season while the other has to listen to the community talk about how good that one is. Since you seem to know alot about the numbers of all the jr highs of 20-4A district what are the figures of them all and how do you know MMS is 200 less than any other?     

Hey jackbquick - Mauriceville played Groves (24-0), Barbers Hill (23-7), St. Annes twice (50-14, 24-0), and Legacy Christian (44-0). They didn't play LC because LC-M admin chose not to.  It would be a good game and a close one because LC is a strong group too.  LC-M should have another strong freshman group next year.  Mauricville does not play in the 4A district because they are about 200+ kids behind the next smallest school in the district.    

So who chooses that Mauriceville not play in that district.Do people really think both jr highs  playing different schedules and recognizing one for their undefeated record and not the other is fair to all kids of that district considering one is playing a much tougher schedule. At least they could play each other to see who should get the bragging rights, instead of one getting the bragging rights for having an undefeated season while the other has to listen to the community talk about how good that one is. Since you seem to know alot about the numbers of all the jr highs of 20-4A district what are the figures of them all and how do you know MMS is 200 less than any other?       

Years ago MMS and LCM played when my boys were there, LCM 7th played MMS 8th and it was usually a blow out as it should be and I think the then ad decided it was not goo for the two teams to play since they would be playing as one team in the 9th grade. I agree. They havent played scince I dont believe.

Guest jackbquick

Years ago MMS and LCM played when my boys were there, LCM 7th played MMS 8th and it was usually a blow out as it should be and I think the then ad decided it was not goo for the two teams to play since they would be playing as one team in the 9th grade. I agree. They havent played scince I dont believe.

Thanks for the answers. I still don't understand why 8th grade teams did not play each other and 7th grade teams did not play each other. That would make more sense and how come all of these other schools in 20-4A have their jr highs play each other and it seems to be working better than the alternative is for LCM, hence the varsity records this year. I have even heard that Vidor splits their 1 jr high between north and south and they even play each other and manage to make it work. Heard they wanted to have their jr high programs more like the other jr highs in this district which is 8th A is 8th graders and 8th B is 7th graders. That's how most teams in this district do their jr high programs. 

Guest whatdoIknow

I was once a BEar Family Fan and parent...I understand what MMS is going through.  They are the Rodney Dangerfield of the district!  Most outsiders think that MMS has the same enrollment as their brother Jr. High, but unfortunately they do not!  That's why they are force to play smaller schools or seventh grade teams.  This allows the kids to have some success and most importantly...stay in the program!!! The bottom line is that both Jr. High Schools had a great season.  And a lot to be proud of.  Texastiger hang in there!!!!!!

Thanks for the answers. I still don't understand why 8th grade teams did not play each other and 7th grade teams did not play each other. That would make more sense and how come all of these other schools in 20-4A have their jr highs play each other and it seems to be working better than the alternative is for LCM, hence the varsity records this year. I have even heard that Vidor splits their 1 jr high between north and south and they even play each other and manage to make it work. Heard they wanted to have their jr high programs more like the other jr highs in this district which is 8th A is 8th graders and 8th B is 7th graders. That's how most teams in this district do their jr high programs.   

That is exactly how vidor junior high splits the teams. The two teams scrimmage before the first game, then play each other the last game. This year was neat because of construction at the jr. high, they played at the high school. The whole thing about numbers of kids is misleading imo. My kid is on one of the 7th grade teams and, believe me numbers don't make a great team. There is no try out. If you want to play, you play. I think this is the right way to do it. All the kids get a taste for it and can decide for themselves. It doesn't make for a dominate team due to the coach trying to let everyone play a little, but is fair. Luckily most of these coaches jobs don't depend on their record. Some of the kids on the team haven't even played flag football. It's all about teaching and finding out which kids take to it.

We play all the teams in our district and pay for it at times. This isn't tee ball where no score is kept. Kids can only learn adversity one way. Just my thoughts.

Guest jackbquick

That is exactly how vidor junior high splits the teams. The two teams scrimmage before the first game, then play each other the last game. This year was neat because of construction at the jr. high, they played at the high school. The whole thing about numbers of kids is misleading imo. My kid is on one of the 7th grade teams and, believe me numbers don't make a great team. There is no try out. If you want to play, you play. I think this is the right way to do it. All the kids get a taste for it and can decide for themselves. It doesn't make for a dominate team due to the coach trying to let everyone play a little, but is fair. Luckily most of these coaches jobs don't depend on their record. Some of the kids on the team haven't even played flag football. It's all about teaching and finding out which kids take to it.

We play all the teams in our district and pay for it at times. This isn't tee ball where no score is kept. Kids can only learn adversity one way. Just my thoughts.

Great quote and that is what I am talking about, get many kids involved and playing and teach all kids they are ultimately bears,pirates,bulldogs, indians,etc instead of panthers,cubs,bucs,vikes,canines,warriors, etc. because ultimately the only record anyone remembers from the current football season is the varsity. Do alot of school boards recognize their jr highs for undefeated seasons at the meetings?  Just curios did Lumberton and C.O get recognized for their undefeated season at their school board meeting.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder