What does everyone think?

kicker

In a non trash talking fasion, of the people who saw WOS/BH last night what did yall think.

I say BH has some good speed, but they looked a little soft. It was like some of them didnt want to get hit. I think they have great potential and can only get better week in and week out. That QB that ran the touchdown on us was FAST!!!!!!!!!!

As for WOS, if we dont pursue the ball better on defense and fix our crappy kicking game, we could be in for a long season.

For WO-S: The kicking was obviously sad, but we looked very explosive on offense and sloppy on defense. For a first scrimmage, I think we did okay. With no trash intended, I don't think we were up against a great opponent, so we will have to step things up in two weeks. I think we're going to have a great year. Earl, Garrett, Bevil and Franks were outstanding. Penalties hurt us on a few drives. If things shape up, we can realistically exceed what we did last year. With no disrespect to our current QBs, if we still had Beasley behind center, there would be no stopping us.

For BH: I'm not sure where to start. The line was very, very soft and the coverage on deep balls (with the exception of one play) was non-existent. The DBs simply couldn't hang with our top two receivers on long passes, and our receivers outplayed them on the short ones. Even the screen passes blew them up. Depauldrick and (especially) Earl ran at will. On offense, I didn't see any "playmakers." The QB made a nice run, but was swallowed up on the other six or seven attempts. There was a huge "we're not shut out" celebration. There was also a little "sack dance" at one point when they were already down three scores. Act like you've been there - and look at the bigger picture. Holding on to the ball is a problem - especially when a big hit was imminent. They did seem a bit scared to get popped. The QB took a major shot at one point and got up quickly, so kudos on that. Overall, I think they'll compete in district but will make an easy first-round win for somebody in the playoffs.

In a non trash talking fasion' date=' of the people who saw WOS/BH last night what did yall think.

I say BH has some good speed, but they looked a little soft. It was like some of them didnt want to get hit. I think they have great potential and can only get better week in and week out. That QB that ran the touchdown on us was FAST!!!!!!!!!!

As for WOS, if we dont pursue the ball better on defense and fix our crappy kicking game, we could be in for a long season.[/quote']

In all honesty, I was dissappointed in BH's play. WOS was exactly what I expected. We have serious problems with both lines, holding on to the ball, and wrapping up defensively. Everyone makes light of BH giving up the deep balls in the secondary, but I don't believe that will be a problem in the future. As I said in a previous post, there is no way we can win without both Patton's at corner and Fisher at safety. Last night proved my point and I believe the coaches probably feel the same. Although WOS would still of won, they would not of had the big pass plays against these three. Good luck to the Wharton coaches scouting in the stands licking their chops on our pass defense!

Guest GoStangs

Kicker, I agree about the WOS kicking game -- PATs will need to be made later in the year. Pursuit, though, I thought was very good. WOS has a fast defense, and there were several defenders in on most of the tackles. They got a little sloppy at times, but looked good overall -- they'll be better than last year's D. I was particularly impressed with the goal line stand -- anyone that questioned WOS' ability to stop the run can go back to that series (plus all the runs they had for negative or no yardage) and be fully satisfied that running the ball up the gut against WOS will not be an easy chore. The missed tackles were a problem -- there were at least two on the TD run -- but I think that will be a non-issue down the road.

Offensively, WOS looked very good. BH had 10 starters returning from last year's playoff team, but had a very difficult time adapting to anything WOS did. WOS ran and threw on them well. WOS has a stable of great, very fast athletes, and they all had pretty good nights. They had too many penalties, but that, too, will improve.

I don't see much potential for BH, though. Like a BH fan said on another post, they have a lot to improve on to avoid being a 5-5 team. They are certainly nowhere near where they need to be, and at this stage in the game, they are way behind a 3A team in every aspect of the game (except maybe PATs). I would be mildly surprised if they make the playoffs, extremely shocked if they win district, and catatonic if they can get a playoff win. This may be a down year for them, but unless they make drastic improvements on all sides of the ball, it will be a short year for them, as well.

Offensively, WOS looked very good. BH had 10 starters returning from last year's playoff team, but had a very difficult time adapting to anything WOS did. WOS ran and threw on them well. WOS has a stable of great, very fast athletes, and they all had pretty good nights. They had too many penalties, but that, too, will improve.

May not of mattered, but you played against 6 of 10.

I understand. I may be thinking that maybe yall were just not ready for that type of situation yet. Im sure things will be different soon for yall.

Good luck to BH......I really mean that.

All in all, these are just KIDS there should be not comments towards them. They do the best they can.!!!!

WO-S: Played as I expected. Very good skill players and better than average lineman play. BH did not do justice for your QB. I thought he handled the running game well but he will need to improve on his passing. Some of his passes stayed in the air way too long. Against a better team, he would have been shaking his head and going to the sidelines instead of down the field. I also thought he locked on his primary receivers too long on some passes. But he had that luxury against us. Hopefully, that says something for their offensive line.

BH: For us, this was a good scrimmage match-up. It gave us a good idea of the type of teams we may be facing. As noted by almost everyone, WO-S exploited our major weaknesses (and minor ones if we had any).

Offensively, we have a QB who has not played that position before. We will find out if he is a quick learner. Unfortunately for him, he has to play behind one of the most inexperienced lines BH has fielded in a while. The center is a sophmore and as far as I know he has not played that position either. We were to return only 1 starter and 3 lineman who had played sparingly some last year. One of the 3 decided not to play this year. The starter was on the sideline with a cast on his foot. Thus, you got to see a helter-skelter drill on offense. And you have mention that we were facing what is suppose to be a better than average defense.

Defensively, I think we will be okay. A few of the players may have gotten the most playing time they will see this year. It was good for them to experiience the speed and quickness of the Mustangs.

If some guys don't step up early, I look for BH to lock down the best 11 on defense and go to a basic offense. I know the wolves will start howling about being predictable but I hope some remember the play from last night. Personally, I still feel that offense is pretty but defense is the grime that gets the job done. And in the end, its about winning the game.

I agree bh146...............WOS pretty much won most of the past years due to their Defense mostly. An offense is important, but if you cant keep the other team from scoring, then look what happens.

Ill give you an example... What Wemberly did to us last year!!!!!!!

We could score, but we couldnt stop them from scoring either.

The WOS offense looked about what I expected, they won't be far off from last year. Kicker, I don't know what defense you were watching but WOS' defense persued better than they did at anytime last year. Last year they never had any goal line stands, teams just ran up the gut and scored. Last night's stand was very encourageing. As far as the TD run, Coach T was disappointed on the missed tackles, but he also appaulogized to players telling them he put them in a bad call. As for the kicking game, we need one. However, I think help is on the way. the JV kicker from last year thought he was going to be home schooled this year and didn't come out this summer. I talked to him after the game and he told me that is NOT going to be home schooled and he is enrolling Monday and would talk to the coaches about coming back out. He supposedly went to a kicking camp at UT this summer. He was very good at the end of the year last year.

As for BH, they are going to have to have improve a whole bunch to compete in 4A. I hope the players that missed the game have big impact on their team because they're going to need them.

I agree bh146...............WOS pretty much won most of the past years due to their Defense mostly. An offense is important' date=' but if you cant keep the other team from scoring, then look what happens.

Ill give you an example... What Wemberly did to us last year!!!!!!!

We could score, but we couldnt stop them from scoring either.[/quote']

kicker, you know who the kicker he is talking about is... :wink:

Kicker' date=' I agree about the WOS kicking game -- PATs will need to be made later in the year. Pursuit, though, I thought was very good. WOS has a fast defense, and there were several defenders in on most of the tackles. They got a little sloppy at times, but looked good overall -- they'll be better than last year's D. I was particularly impressed with the goal line stand -- anyone that questioned WOS' ability to stop the run can go back to that series (plus all the runs they had for negative or no yardage) and be fully satisfied that running the ball up the gut against WOS will not be an easy chore. The missed tackles were a problem -- there were at least two on the TD run -- but I think that will be a non-issue down the road.

I don't see much potential for BH, though. Like a BH fan said on another post, they have a lot to improve on to avoid being a 5-5 team. They are certainly nowhere near where they need to be, and at this stage in the game, they are way behind a 3A team in every aspect of the game (except maybe PATs). I would be mildly surprised if they make the playoffs, extremely shocked if they win district, and catatonic if they can get a playoff win. This may be a down year for them, but unless they make drastic improvements on all sides of the ball, it will be a short year for them, as well.[/quote']

GoStangs,

I think this about sums it up. I know it is the frst scrimmage and Bh is trying to fill a lot of holes with potential players so they don't have as many going two-ways, but BH looked very bad Saturday. I can't recall a BH team in recent history that unprepared for a game. The defense is normally VERY strong, but with the idea of taking the veteran corners and safety off of defense is just crazy. BH is luck the score was not 55 to 7.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami