Importance of scrimmage scores

Guest ECBucFan

Guest ECBucFan

After reading this board the past week or two, I believe WAY too much emphasis is being place on scrimmage "scores". I believe these are not a good indicator at all of a teams real strenghts. Coaches are trying new players and/or plays, so, don't get too up or down about any of the results til the real season starts. Just an opinion, don't mean to rile anyone up.

I still do not think scrimmage scores matter even in a 4 qtr. one. What are scrimmages for?? To find out what works and what needs work.

Expamle: If a certain play works several times in a scrimmage, GREAT!!! Most coaches don't keep running it, they move on to something else because they know it WORKS!! However, in a real game they would keep running that play all night until the opposing teams shows that they can stop it!!!

Scrimmage scores don't matter' date=' .................. unless it is WOS handing it to BH! :mrgreen: Then that is a whole nother matter! :lol:[/quote']

Let's hope not, because the players we moved aroud during this scrimmage did not work out so well. Especially against an overrated WOS team........ :D:D

Jody do you still think WOS is overrated?

No question about it. They played like it was a 3rd playoff game and we did not. No real suprise at the outcome, but I was dissapointed in what I saw from BH. WOS looks to be a good, well coached team, but I still say they loose 2-3 games this year.

No question about it. They played like it was a 3rd playoff game and we did not. No real suprise at the outcome' date=' but I was dissapointed in what I saw from BH. WOS looks to be a good, well coached team, but I still say they loose 2-3 games this year.[/quote']

Piratefan, are you really serious about asking Jody that question? Nothing he says is based on rationale. It's all bitterness. I know it's hard to believe someone can be this way, but he is what he is.

Scrimmages don't mean a thing but how the team played and how some people did in new positions. I would rather "lose" a scrimmage 3-1 but run up 400 yards of offense and hold the other team to 100 yards rather than win and have the stats reversed.

People love to say, "well, we won the stats". That is for the losing team because everyone knows that the only thing that counts in the final score. A scrimmage is the one time that statement about the stats is probably pretty close to reality. I think a coach would much rather see good improvement in his team rather than worry about a scoreboard that no one will remember three weeks later and will appear nowhere in the yearly records.

The only reason that the WO-S folks are making a big deal over the BH scrimmage is that BH folks had played it up quite a bit when the schedules came out - that it would be our "downfall" and that they would finally be able to claim superiority. Funny, huh? I don't think the scrimmage meant a lot, but it did show how much stronger we are than they at this point (and overall... past, present and eternal future ;)).

No, scrimmage scores don't mean anything. If you get blown out in a four-quarter scrimmage, it's probably bad. If you have a great night, it's okay but nothing to hang a hat on.

Like I said - the only reason we've been dogging Jody and Co. is because we've heard two years worth of "we're better," including a heavy dose of "wait until the scrimmage."

I love it.

The title of this thread is "Importance of scrimmage scores". There is no importance whatsoever in the scores of any scrimmage as it means nothing. What is important is how much you have improved since the first practice (or last scrimmage), finding out who can play where and find what mistakes need to be corrected.

Does coach want to "win" a scrimmage? Yes because we all want to win at whatever we do. I could be playing hopskotch or tiddlywinks and I would want to win that also. Is it important to outscore an opponent in a scrimmage? Not in the least other than ego or getting on bulletin boards.

I am sure that all coaches want their team to perform well and make progress in working as a unit. I would bet that any coach would rather his team play a great scrimmage and lose some theoretical score rather than "win" a score like 2-1 or 3-1 and play lousy. In the regular season it is different. I would rather see my team walk off the field as victors even if they were outplayed.

In Nederland's recent 10 year run at the playoffs I have missed exactly one game including the non-district and district games. I can tell you most of the scores for those 10 years (including back to 1966), can recount most of the big plays and can tell you how we played, win or lose.

I think that I have been to all of Nederland's scrimmages in the last 9 years (but I wouldn't swear to it). I can't tell you any of the scores, even the ones from last year. I sure don't remember any of the plays. I have a lot of friends that love to point out how PN-G, TJ, WO-S or Lincoln beat Nederland in a particular game (like in '94 when PN-G won 54-0). I have never had someone approach me and bring up a scrimmage score. I wonder why?

Wouldn't that make a great bragging point... "we went 0-10 that year but hey, we beat Nederland in a scrimmage 3-1!".

The title of this thread is "Importance of scrimmage scores". There is no importance whatsoever in the scores of any scrimmage as it means nothing. What is important is how much you have improved since the first practice (or last scrimmage)' date=' finding out who can play where and find what mistakes need to be corrected.

Does coach want to "win" a scrimmage? Yes because we all want to win at whatever we do. I could be playing hopskotch or tiddlywinks and I would want to win that also. Is it important to outscore an opponent in a scrimmage? Not in the least other than ego or getting on bulletin boards.

I am sure that all coaches want their team to perform well and make progress in working as a unit. I would bet that any coach would rather his team play a great scrimmage and lose some theoretical score rather than "win" a score like 2-1 or 3-1 and play lousy. In the regular season it is different. I would rather see my team walk off the field as victors even if they were outplayed.

In Nederland's recent 10 year run at the playoffs I have missed exactly one game including the non-district and district games. I can tell you most of the scores for those 10 years (including back to 1966), can recount most of the big plays and can tell you how we played, win or lose.

I think that I have been to all of Nederland's scrimmages in the last 9 years (but I wouldn't swear to it). I can't tell you any of the scores, even the ones from last year. I sure don't remember any of the plays. I have a lot of friends that love to point out how PN-G, TJ, WO-S or Lincoln beat Nederland in a particular game (like in '94 when PN-G won 54-0). I have never had someone approach me and bring up a scrimmage score. I wonder why?

Wouldn't that make a great bragging point... "we went 0-10 that year but hey, we beat Nederland in a scrimmage 3-1!".[/quote']

Good lord, you are more hurt by Nederland losing that scrimmage than I thought. Had Nederland beat Silsbee you would be as quiet as a church mouse. No one, except for Ned fans, cares that you got beat so relax the, "It don't mean nothin" crusade.

OK so you are saying that it's actually stats that REALLY matter in the scrimmages... OK. Ask coach Neumann if he would like to see his team run up and down the field, but have problems punching it in.

I don't mean to get into a pissing contest with you, I don't think the scrimmages are an end all be all of your season either. I do, however, think you are going overboard trying to lessen them because your team just happened to lose one. Take care.

Bottom line they mean nothing! It is to look at what holes you may have to fill and who you can fill them with.

But this is interesting Why do they keep score? stats? If it doesn't matter.

Because that is the only way to measure whether or not the players you have in place were successful. You have to have a measure, scores and stats are that measure. THAT is why they DO mean something even if they don't count. There is a BIG difference between not counting and not meaning anything.

Anyway, I think this subject is played out. Good luck to everyone this weekend. Whether they mean anything or not... sorry, couldn't resist. :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami