Anthony Beard LB lumberton

slick74

I am sure the whole Golden Triangle wishes the Very Best for

Anthony!! I don't think anyone would blame him for taking the rest of the season off, he has been the core of the Mighty Raider Defense and will be deeply missed. Get Well Anthony and come back stronger next year!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Its_All_About_Tha_U

OK.  I accept your conclusion that the PNG player " went for his knees".  So what?  Isn't Beard a big guy?  All players are trained to hit low on larger players.  it is part of football.  Doesn't mean he was trying to injure anybody.  That is how you tackle big guys.  You will se that at any level of football.

The guy that hit the knees is bigger than #49 in height & weight...this I know!

OK.  I accept your conclusion that the PNG player " went for his knees".  So what?  Isn't Beard a big guy?  All players are trained to hit low on larger players.  it is part of football.  Doesn't mean he was trying to injure anybody.  That is how you tackle big guys.  You will se that at any level of football.

Okay I know things get touchy real quickly on a forum, so let me state beforehand that I have no intention, bluntly or subliminally, of offending anyone. The only reason I posted in the first place was to assert my own observations.

Now on to your post ... like I said, I love watching football, but I wouldn't be the person to go to to explain football to someone.

I'm sure you're correct when you say that players are trained to hit low to get maximum results, but on that play, it wasn't necessary (he could have made the tackle just as easily without going for the knees), especially when everyone in the Reservation knew that Beard's knee was already injured.

That doesn't seem to shout "hit low so you can take him out easier." It shouts "go for his knees so that he won't be a threat for the rest of the game." And thus, won't be a threat for the rest of the season perhaps.

So I hear your logic, but my thoughts are that it doesn't apply at all here considering that wasn't the objective, because if going low to take him out easier was the objective, he wouldn't have practically dived for Beard's knees.

I respect PNG (yes, I know, hard to believe, considering some of my schoolmates and community members may not), and I find it extremely believable that they played a clean game, but on that particular play, I have to say that there was nothing clean about it.

That play was no different than any other play the entire game because they were doing it the entire game. That's just when it finally happened (injury)

I'm talking about every play, not just when he was carrying the ball. The knees were getting slammed even away from the play. This happened to several kids, not just him. I understand kids are taught to hit low at times, but they took it to the extreme. It was just a matter of time! But hey, injuries happen, right?

Guest Brubaker

I guess what's concerning is that if Beard was already engaged and all accounts say he was, then going for the knees is a malicious and cowardly act.  If it's the open field and he's comin at you full speed, going low is fair game, but if he's already engaged then shame on whoever did that, no class.

I guess what's concerning is that if Beard was already engaged and all accounts say he was, then going for the knees is a malicious and cowardly act.  If it's the open field and he's comin at you full speed, going low is fair game, but if he's already engaged then shame on whoever did that, no class.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say here. I understand the concept of what U just said about certain plays being fair game, but I don't think this had to happen on that particular play.

I don't know if the intent was to damage the knee or not but that was the end result and it didn't have to happen. My problem is what about after he was injured and went back in the game and they were still going after him in that manner. That is what I have a problem with even more.

It couldnt have been any cheaper that shot you have playing on your messages. Its part of the game people get hit and they get hurt. I wish him well.

How does the animation in his signature compare to this play at all?

Sure it may have been a late hit, but the key is this: it wasn't designed to cause an injury/more damage to an already-existing injury.

Ok everyone knows I am a Raider fan. I am also Kin to Beard and think the world of him as a player and a young man. I agree with alot that has been said on here. Yes I think the PNG players tackled and blocked low all night. Yes players are taught this from a very young age. Yes AC is bigger and hits harder than most players trying to tackle him.

Now was the PNG def. trying to hurt him?  I think that every Def. tries to hurt the other teams Star players a little. Now let me clear things up I said HURT not INJURE. I really don't think one player could hit AC and Injure him just because they wanted too.

This will not doubt be a HUGE loss to the Raiders Def. but this means that its time for someone to step up. If there is any chance at all that AC could have a long term injury if he plays again this year I hope that everyone involved makes the right choice, he has to bright a future for it to end on a HS football field.

I understand that this could happen to anyone at any time and I would not say that the PNG Def. was trying to Injure AC but if I see or hear Bragging from PNG players that they were trying too,  I will speak out then.

Trust me I would hate to know I had to hit AC above the waist to try to tackle him. My Prayers are with you CUZ get well soon!!!!!!

My last on this subject.  I still doubt that a PNG player was trying for an injury.  Heat of battle, you hit them where you can.  Makes me think some posters have never played football.

I'm not saying that I know for a fact that a particular player was trying for an injury but the injury was a direct result of the chicken .... way they played.

Not just PNG gets offended by this.   I have seen PNG play and they are not dirty.   Injuries happen in football.   Get a life.

(tl;dr version [too long;didn't read - basically means a summarized version] at the bottom)

First of all, I read these forums quite often, though I never post. To establish who I am, I'm in the Band at LHS, but rest assured, I guarantee that I am extremely unbiased because I love watching football, and that's that. (The only exception concerning bias may be UT =D HOOK 'EM)

Second, now that I've said that, I go to every game, as that is required of all band students, and on that particular play when Anthony Beard went back in the game, the hit happened right in front of the band. I know for a fact that the guy that had the tackle went straight for the knees.

From where I was sitting, I can't tell if "U" is correct when he says that PNG was going for Beard's knees the whole game, offense and defense, but I guarantee you that if you saw what I saw, you would have no doubt that Beard's knees were the target, not Beard himself.

At that time, I thought nothing of it, considering I watch NFL games all the time and see targets painted on knees all the time, but I do agree that HS is completely different from NFL. You aren't paid any more or any less for winning, so intentionally causing an injury is pretty awful.

Beard's knee status was an intentional result.

That's all I'm saying. Don't attach the bad reputation that Lumberton posters have on this forum with me. I may be a senior at LHS, but I'm well-minded enough to not fabricate claims or make arrogant ones, not to mention that I have pretty extensive experience on forums.

So basically (if you didn't feel like reading all of the above):

- I know for a fact that whoever tackled Beard was going for the knees on purpose.

- I do not deny nor claim that PNG aimed for Beard's knees the entire game.

- I am not claiming that PNG played dirty on purpose, if at all.

What was stupid was putting Beard back into the game hurt. The coaches were to busy trying to win the game than worrying about this kids future, he should've never went back into this game period. I may be a PNGfan, but I am a football fan also, which means when Lumberton makes it to the playoff I'll be there supporting them. I love to watch Beard play and hate that he got hurt, but he should've never been put back into that game.

look, i wish Beard well with his knees, its never okay to injure someone when its cheap. But as long as its legal, you wanna hit the guy, you wanna hit him hard, and you want it to hurt. Whether its to get in his head or slow him down, if a guys not 100% then its going to help your team. You never wish major or long term injury on a player, but if hes not on the field, hes not making plays.

I wasn't at the game, haven't seen the hit, and have no idea what happened, but physicality and pain are the nature of the game. Linemen are taught to chop block, linebackers and taught to wrap up low. Low Pads win. Knees have pads on them the same as shoulders. When you step on the field, your knees are fair game (inside of the whistles)

Not just PNG gets offended by this.   I have seen PNG play and they are not dirty.   Injuries happen in football.   Get a life.

(tl;dr version [too long;didn't read - basically means a summarized version] at the bottom)

First of all, I read these forums quite often, though I never post. To establish who I am, I'm in the Band at LHS, but rest assured, I guarantee that I am extremely unbiased because I love watching football, and that's that. (The only exception concerning bias may be UT =D HOOK 'EM)

Second, now that I've said that, I go to every game, as that is required of all band students, and on that particular play when Anthony Beard went back in the game, the hit happened right in front of the band. I know for a fact that the guy that had the tackle went straight for the knees.

From where I was sitting, I can't tell if "U" is correct when he says that PNG was going for Beard's knees the whole game, offense and defense, but I guarantee you that if you saw what I saw, you would have no doubt that Beard's knees were the target, not Beard himself.

At that time, I thought nothing of it, considering I watch NFL games all the time and see targets painted on knees all the time, but I do agree that HS is completely different from NFL. You aren't paid any more or any less for winning, so intentionally causing an injury is pretty awful.

That's all I'm saying. Don't attach the bad reputation that Lumberton posters have on this forum with me. I may be a senior at LHS, but I'm well-minded enough to not fabricate claims or make arrogant ones, not to mention that I have pretty extensive experience on forums.

- I know for a fact that whoever tackled Beard was going for the knees on purpose.

What was stupid was putting Beard back into the game hurt. The coaches were to busy trying to win the game than worrying about this kids future, he should've never went back into this game period.

I agree with the fact that he probably shouldn't have went back in the game but in reality the damage was already done the first time he went down.

What was stupid was putting Beard back into the game hurt. The coaches were to busy trying to win the game than worrying about this kids future, he should've never went back into this game period.

I agree with the fact that he probably shouldn't have went back in the game but in reality the damage was already done the first time he went down.

Agreed but it could've caused a more serious career ending injury. The kid has alot of heart and the coaches should've kept him out.

I wont use the word Stupid but I did think it was a bad thing handing him the ball as soon as he went back in the game hurt!

I wont use the word Stupid but I did think it was a bad thing handing him the ball as soon as he went back in the game hurt!

I wish nothing bad against Beard, I love to watch him play.

Guest Brubaker

PNGFAN, that's the smartest and really the only thing PNG fans can say in this thread.  Good post, that's all we can wish, hard to argue what happened and intent, dirty play etc... that's all questionable because we don't have video to watch.  But we do know that most all PNG fans/players are clean hard nosed people, this is unfortunate.  Hope he gets well soon... is he a junior?

IMO, I didn't see anything wrong with the hit on Beard.  Sure, it was low, but he's a big guy and you bring those kind down any way you can.  What probably made the hit worse was the way a players feet stick to the new turf.  When a player plants his foot one way and is hit from the opposite direction there is no give or slide on a turf field.  It's as if your foot sticks.  Not blaming the new field but it was obvious there was a turf monster lurking out there.  Two or three players went down without any contact whatsoever except with a toe caught on the turf.

When Beard went back into the game and carried the ball, he made a cut to his left with no one touching him and immediately begin to go down. The PNG player was already set to hit him (hence teh cut back) when he begin to go down.

The first hit was as legal as it gets. For the guy that said "- I know for a fact that whoever tackled Beard was going for the knees on purpose." How do you know this as fact?  Did he tell you this? Where you telecomunicating with the kid?

You guys from Lumberton continue to amaze me with your moronic assesment of all things football. If it happened to Lumberton and it is negative you immediately begin to point fingers.

I hate that the kid got hurt as you can tell that he really loves the game and has a bright future, but to say it was done with malice is ridiculous without proof. Wish we had the video. Playing PNG as malicous head hunters without proof is just idiotic.

Also on the subject of the new turf, Beard is the only player I saw go down with a leg injury all night and no one went down with a leg injury against Livingston. Not Astro Turf. Big, Big difference.

look, i wish Beard well with his knees, its never okay to injure someone when its cheap. But as long as its legal, you wanna hit the guy, you wanna hit him hard, and you want it to hurt. Whether its to get in his head or slow him down, if a guys not 100% then its going to help your team. You never wish major or long term injury on a player, but if hes not on the field, hes not making plays.

I wasn't at the game, haven't seen the hit, and have no idea what happened, but physicality and pain are the nature of the game. Linemen are taught to chop block, linebackers and taught to wrap up low. Low Pads win. Knees have pads on them the same as shoulders. When you step on the field, your knees are fair game (inside of the whistles)

Well put Tex, if more players would tackle him lower they would be able to stop him. He's a big boy a smaller player has to hit someone low to be effective. If he was already hurt he should'nt have been in the game if your gonna blame a coach it should be his (if he was already injured) not PNGs. I wish him the best.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder