Worst Weather Games?

Coldest game I have been in (showing my age here), but in 1974, during PN-G's first of four playoff runs.

We played Texas City at Stallworth Stadium.

As we were going into the stadium a huge blackish blue cloud from the north started coming in.

The wind shifted right before the game and did it get cold, howling north wind the whole game with cold pelting rain.

Most fans watched the game from the concession area under the stands.

Texas City had a chance to win the game at the end, but had to kick a field goal into the north wind, the wind was too much and the kick was short.

I was only 8 years old, but boy do I remember that game.

For Lamar football fans, in 1983 or 1984 they played SFA there.

It poured down during the 2nd quarter and during the half.

The drainage pumps went out and the Lamar sideline was flooded with shin to knee deep water.

They had to use the water line as the out of bounds as you couldn't see the sideline, it was flooded with muddy water.

The head coach was the one before Ray Alborn, he used to coach from the pressbox, but I remember him saying that he couldn't go to the pressbox while the team waded around, so he coached from the sideline.

I remember watching the highlights on TV, was funny to see the water that far out onto the field, it went out almost to the hashmarks (so they actually lost 2/3 of the field).

Any one else remember that game???

Coldest game I have been in (showing my age here), but in 1974, during PN-G's first of four playoff runs.

We played Texas City at Stallworth Stadium.

As we were going into the stadium a huge blackish blue cloud from the north started coming in.

The wind shifted right before the game and did it get cold, howling north wind the whole game with cold pelting rain.

Most fans watched the game from the concession area under the stands.

Texas City had a chance to win the game at the end, but had to kick a field goal into the north wind, the wind was too much and the kick was short.

I was only 8 years old, but boy do I remember that game.

For Lamar football fans, in 1983 or 1984 they played SFA there.

It poured down during the 2nd quarter and during the half.

The drainage pumps went out and the Lamar sideline was flooded with shin to knee deep water.

They had to use the water line as the out of bounds as you couldn't see the sideline, it was flooded with muddy water.

The head coach was the one before Ray Alborn, he used to coach from the pressbox, but I remember him saying that he couldn't go to the pressbox while the team waded around, so he coached from the sideline.

I remember watching the highlights on TV, was funny to see the water that far out onto the field, it went out almost to the hashmarks (so they actually lost 2/3 of the field).

Any one else remember that game???

I remember the Texas City - PNG game well, I was a photographer on the sideline. The whole game was played on one end of the field. Neither team crossed the 40 yd line on the North end of the field. We won 9-7. If you are showing your age I was probably 17 that year. I remember after the game it started pouring rain and we had to jump my car in it. Brutal weather, but a very exciting win for a team that was picked to finish 4th in the district, but finished 4th in the state.

Worst weather game:  1997 bi-district game between WB and Humble at Baytown.  It was a Saturday night.  Rained all day with temp in low 30s wind chill in the low 20s.  Humble was the #1 ranked team in Houston area, but the Brook had one Chip Ambers.  Chips first two passes were intercepted which lead to Humble TDs and had a snap over his head that lead to a third.  Down by 18 Chip lead the Brook to a halftime tie at 18.  The Brook eventually won 39 to 28.  Not only worst weather game but one of several exciting games in the Brooks 97 playoff run.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124