Hot Pirates head to perfect Buna

Hot Pirates head to perfect Buna

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

DEWEYVILLE — They’ve found their rhythm in District 23-2A play, now the Deweyville Pirates face a “monster†district tilt a week before Halloween.

The Pirates (4-2, 2-1) are coming off back-to-back 23-2A wins, including a 34-19 romp against Warren for Homecoming last week.

This week, the chore will get even tougher as the Pirates head to undefeated Buna (5-0, 2-0) as they try to stay in the middle of the 23-2A playoff picture.

Only Buna and Anahuac (4-2, 2-0) remain perfect in 23-2A play while Deweyville and Hardin (5-1, 2-1) have one loss apiece.

“The district certainly remains up in the air,†said Pirate head coach Russell McDaniel. “East Chambers has dropped back-to-back games so that shows you how tough the district is. Anahuac has been playing well of late and Buna, they’re so tough.â€

The Pirate ground game chewed up “big-time†yardage against Warren in the win last week, led by tailback Kane Kachtik and fullback Keeton Addison.

Kachtik tore through the Warrior secondary for 149 yards on 26 carries while Addison, who has been saddled with an injury most of the season, broke loose for 134 yards on 23 carries.

“After our loss to East Chambers, we came back the following week and made some changes and slight adjustments to our blocking schemes and it’s panned out well for us,†said McDaniel. “The offensive line has had two straight strong weeks. We were happy to see Keeton (Addison) have a big game. He’s been banged up most of the season and he was awesome the other night. With him back healthy, that will relieve some of the work that Kane (Kachtik) has had and it’ll keep them both fresh.â€

The offensive line consisting of players like Hunter Manning, Dalton Estes, Channing O’Bannion has led to a tough Pirate running game for most of the campaign.

Kachtik has 849 yards on 112 carries and has nine touchdowns. Addison has zipped for 389 yards on 92 carries and has five TDs.

Buna, meanwhile, got rested up last week in their bye week as the Cougars look to continue their winning ways.

The Cougars rely on a power running game that head coach Bradley Morgan has used for years.

Buna enters the game averaging close to 390 yards a game, 351 coming via the ground.

Blanton Craft leads the balanced attack with 356 yards and seven TDs on 47 carries. Ryan Sheppard has 313 yards and three TDs on 39 carries. Keaton Baker has 294 yards and five TDs on 49 totes and Jacob Craft has 290 yards and a TD on 34 totes.

Quarterback Josh Clark has rushed for 127 yards and four TDs and has passed for 177 yards.

“Buna, there’s nothing fancy about them,†said McDaniel. “They line up, come right at you and say ‘Stop us if you can.’ Looking at them, they don’t ever beat themselves. They play tough, hard-nosed football.â€

The game has big implications for the Pirates.

“We really like the way the kids are playing and working hard,†said McDaniel. “They’ve got some big games in front of them and they realize that. I know they’ll give it all they have, they’ve done it all year.â€

The Pirates will have their bye week next week and will host Hardin Nov. 7 and will visit Anahuac Nov. 14.

LIGHT POLE?  What light pole?  LOL!  leave it to D-Ville to bring up something quirky!  Have never heard of anything about a light pole from any other team.  Want to explain?

go to the Buna stadium and sit on the visitor side in the stands and there is a light pole that blocks your view when you are trying to watch the game. No matter where you sit it gets in the way at some point. We have never been to a stadium where a light pole is put right in front of the visitors stands. It is just a little awkward that is all. It sucks to miss a good play because the pole gets in the way. With as many pirate fans that are at all games it isn't like you can just move to get the pole out of your line of vision. No big deal. The important thing is supporting the players and cheering them on to victory.

LIGHT POLE?  What light pole?  LOL!  leave it to D-Ville to bring up something quirky!  Have never heard of anything about a light pole from any other team.  Want to explain?

go to the Buna stadium and sit on the visitor side in the stands and there is a light pole that blocks your view when you are trying to watch the game. No matter where you sit it gets in the way at some point. We have never been to a stadium where a light pole is put right in front of the visitors stands. It is just a little awkward that is all. It sucks to miss a good play because the pole gets in the way. With as many pirate fans that are at all games it isn't like you can just move to get the pole out of your line of vision. No big deal. The important thing is supporting the players and cheering them on to victory.

Home field advantage

I have to say, I didn't give D'ville much of a chance at the beginning of the season.  I watched them play EC and thought they did well in spots.  They gave up some big plays though.  It great to see them pick it up after the EC game and get competitive.  Best of luck the rest of the way Pirates.  Buna is not going to be a push over by any stretch of the imagination but they are beatable.  Oh and by the way, that light pole will probably never get moved...I rememeber it being where it is as far back as 1985.  Every stadium has it traditions and stories, I guess Buna's has its light pole to be proud of!  LOL

Home field advantage

LOL a good conversation piece anyway. It is hard to coach from the stands with it in the way. I guess we will leave the coaching to McDaniel Friday night.

I don't think either of these clubs have been tested yet.Both clubs 2 wins have came against Kountze and Warren.Both played Kountze pretty close while Buna handed Warren a pretty big loss.I think Buna wins this game at home pretty convincingly and sets up a showdown with Anahuac for the title.

Buna-28

Deweyville-7

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder