BC's Matt Hicks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck to Matt.  I know the people in BC and the district are sad to see you go.  This does kind of open things up for the rest of us to have a chance.  Should be a battle now for 1st place.

I wonder if Coach Cecchini was in attendance last night scouting anymore of the local talent.

First, I too wish Matt the best of luck with his future baseball endeavors. 

Second, I just don't get this move.  I read the newspaper quotes like everyone else but simply do not get it.  I understand that perhaps I am not supposed to get it, but I don't. 

It is a loss for baseball in SE Texas, a loss for BC and (when examined objectively) doesn't make sense.

I repeat:  maybe its not supposed to make sense to me.  Just one man's opinion...

Second, I just don't get this move.  I read the newspaper quotes like everyone else but simply do not get it.  I understand that perhaps I am not supposed to get it, but I don't. 

It is a loss for baseball in SE Texas, a loss for BC and (when examined objectively) doesn't make sense.

I repeat:  maybe its not supposed to make sense to me.  Just one man's opinion...

Makes sense to me (jmo) good luck Matt. Tough to keep all your equip. in a tent.

I guess  thats the good thing about decisions like these. They only have to make sense to the people that make the decision. Matt will be fine.

I usually talk to Matt on a weekly basis and I understand the  move completely for one reason, its his decision to make. We all make decisions to trying something different in thought we might better ourselves. Every employee in any line of work looks for a chance to improve.

If this is what he believes is better for him, only Matt and his family need to approve of it.

Good luck Matt, Barbe just got a lot of fans from SE Texas

Guest BCNatureBoy

I usually talk to Matt on a weekly basis and I understand the  move completely for one reason, its his decision to make. We all make decisions to trying something different in thought we might better ourselves. Every employee in any line of work looks for a chance to improve.

If this is what he believes is better for him, only Matt and his family need to approve of it.

Nope, Hate Barbe still like Matt though, best of luck. Sounds like they have a bunch of Matt Hicks though.

Nope, Hate Barbe still like Matt though, best of luck. Sounds like they have a bunch of Matt Hicks though.

They may have alot of good players but I'm not sure they have alot of Matt Hicks. Something about this young man impresses me more than any other kid I've met. He seems to have the total package. Talent, manners and an overall good young man and I haven't known him that long.

I to wish Matt the best in his quest to play college ball. He has always been one of the most un selfish players I've coached during the summer months, and we will miss him in Babe Ruth.

By no means do I think this is a slight on Southeast Texas baseball and especially Bridge City. Bridge City has one of the most storied baseball traditions in the area, going back to Hall of Famer, Coach Young, all while having their school rank the highest in education standards.

I can't think of a school besides West Brook, who has more Div 1 players signed in the past 10 years, like more recently Johnny Dishon at LSU and Kevin Angelle at Texas A&M.. 

Matt, you can bet we in the baseball family of Southeast TX will be following your career and look forward to your success.

First let me say that i wish matt the best, i honestly do..

I have read the article and have come to my own conclusion that this was selfish move, which seems somewhat strange, considering matt is such an unselfish person.  Being a dad of a senior, and keeping my son here in BC was my first priority.  Yes it is stressful right now but the season is months away. 

Again i wish matt all the best, but this move is very 'A-Rodish'

I have read the article and have come to my own conclusion that this was selfish move, which seems somewhat strange, considering matt is such an unselfish person.  Being a dad of a senior, and keeping my son here in BC was my first priority.  Yes it is stressful right now but the season is months away. 

He and his family are doing what they think is best for them and his future.

CardDad09,  you have alot of nerve calling Matt's move selfish.  Yea, Bridge City Baseball is losing one of its best ball players ever and probably the MOST UNSELFISH persons to play athletics at Bridge City.   I know personally that Matt made this decision on his own.  No pressure from friends, family etc.  I applaud him for making such a mature decision.  Making a choice of this magnitude at the young age of 16 is a show of his dedication to something he dearly loves which is baseball.  If you  think for one minute he didn't have reservations about leaving his friends, family, and all the coaches he has grown up with in the Golden Triangle, you are sadly mistaken.  If you can't understand the decision that Matt has made, please keep your SELFISH opinions to yourself.  Yea, its stressful now so please don't add more that IKE already has.   Geaux getem MATT,  Were all supporting you in WINNIE,,,, Uncle Rip

I have talked to Matt more times than I can count and I promise you he is the most unselfish athlete I have ever seen. This was not an easy decision and comparing him to A-Rod is absurd. A-Rod got paid $250 million to leave, Hicks is one of many people in BC just trying to pick up their lives the best they know how. This is what their family thinks is best for his future.

This wreaks of sour grapes. Just because some of you stayed, doesn't mean that others should. Everyone has to do what they think is best for them. Matt obviously thought moving was the best.

Actually, I am suprised that more hasn't moved. It's not to say that those folks would not eventually come back, but for now, to just do what they can and that may mean living somewhere else.

He and his family are doing what they think is best for them and his future.

I agree with TD..just wish he would move  to Vidor.. ;D  ..Good luck to you bud and I wish the best for you and your family..