WANTED: Coaches for Girls Programs

Why is it so difficult to get/keep female coaches in VB, BB  & SB?  Some of the things that I can think of are as follows:

-  Not enough pay

-  No community support

-  Loosing program

-  Bad teaching environment

-  Small school

-  Bad bosses

-  No athletes

-  Not enough ladies get into or stay in the coaching profession

-  Girls programs don't get equal respect/attention/funds as the boys

-  No affordable community feeder programs

One of the Ads toughest jobs is hiring female coaches for girls programs.  Some schools seem to do great while some continue to struggle.

I still believe that all schools need a Female AD over the girls programs.  Arrangements could be made so as not  to financially overburden schools.

not all schools deal with the huge turn over problems that some of our schools deal with. castino, leach, comeaux, i can't think of any other names off hand, but i know there are more.... these coaches have stayed in the same place for decades.

i don' think they do it for the community support..... athletes and coaches coach to win and thats all. a full house is great, but most of then know that doesn't happen too often.

the programs do get their fair share of funding, if they don't the district will get something called a title 9 i think slapped on them. that might not be the right #, but it means if boys get it then girls get it too.

i think most of it is the difference between 35K at the most in the smaller schools( and that's coaching 2 sports which makes raising a family almost impossible) or trying to get on at a larger school and make 40-45k a year.

but if you move out of this area you can teach and make $45k a year without coaching.... heck i think that is what bisd is paying for a first year teacher.

i am sure there are plenty of other reasons, but i am sure the $ plays a big part.

DP#1FAN, I fully understand that teachers need the money.  I also know that the coaches and everyone needs money. 

I also think that the extra money that the AD gets could be split (Boys AD has more responsibility than the ladies) with a girls AD/Coordinator to make everything "Fair & Balanced" without putting additional money into athletics.

The coaches are also teachers, have the same education classes while some even have more formal education than the teachers.

Coaches sometimes work more hours directly with the children than the teachers.

Bottom line is that while I know the kids are in school to be educated, we also need to support our athletic program or do away with it all together.  I think we would have a riot if we raise taxes or do away with athletics.

Sorry if I offended you.  Thanks for your excellent comments

this is just a thought.... coming from an ex coach/teacher. if you took the hours a teacher works and the amount of money they are paid(on average) it comes out to between $22-$30 and hour. when you do the same for coaches it comes out to about $5-$12 per hour.

and the coaches day doesn't include hours they work in the summer. not a commentary either way just a thought about teacher pay.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami