Foreman back home with Mustangs as QBs’ coach

THOUGHT I WOULD RE POST THIS SINCE IT JUST SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED!

Foreman back home with Mustangs as QBs’ coach

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — Toby Foreman knows the system and knows what it takes to be a West Orange-Stark Mustang.

Foreman is back at West Orange-Stark High School as quarterbacks’ coach and head track/cross country coach.

Foreman was at Baytown Lee High School last season and worked under Dick Olin.

When an opening came up back at WO-S, Mustangs Athletic Director Dan Hooks did not have to twist Foreman’s arm too hard to fill it.

“I gladly came back,†Foreman said. “Coach Hooks and I stayed in contact throughout the year I was gone. There was a two month period when I was interviewing for a few other jobs but then when I realized Coach Hooks had a spot, I told the other places where I would be this year and in the future. This past year while I was gone, there is no telling how many phone calls I got wondering when I was coming back.

“This is my home. My dad (Mark) coached here and I grew up in the blue and silver.â€

Foreman is returning to a team which went 11-2 a year ago and lost in the regional semi-finals to Waco La Vega, a game in which Foreman was on the sidelines to take in the action.

The Mustangs are the heavy favorites in District 21-3A this season and bring back six starters on offense, including senior quarterback Ortavious Hypolite.

“I had a chance to work with Hypo on the junior varsity level,†Foreman said. “We have a good relationship already. He has great leadership and I look forward to being his mentor. Also there is Reggie Garrett a sophomore and I’ll be around him for the next three years. Trey Franks is our other backup so you can’t go wrong with those three guys.â€

Foreman also takes great pride in the Mustangs track program.

“When I went to school, we won the district all four years,†he added. “Track can sometimes be overlooked. My expectations are always high for our track program. This should be a real special group of kids and we want to bring the whole thing home.â€

Now that Foreman is back, do not expect him to go anywhere anytime soon if is plan for the future stays on the right path.

“In the long run when Dan and Cornell (Thompson) move on, there needs to be someone to keep the program going like it has for so long,†Foreman said. “I have been around this place as a ballboy, a player and now as a coach. I know the process and I want to keep it moving in the direction it is. I don’t plan on going anywhere. This is where I want to retire because I want to be head coach one day. I know the ends and outs and I have seen it from every angle.â€

Foreman credits Hooks, his father Mark, Thompson, Barry Norton and Jasper’s Thomas Brooks as his mentors in the coaching business.

WO-S opens the season Aug. 29 with a road trip to face the Nederland Bulldogs. The Mustangs start district play Oct. 10 against the Silsbee Tigers.

This would be a wonderful thing if Toby could carry the torch for WO-S into the future. This would be best for the school, community and most of all, the kids. Toby has burned up the summer pavement taking these kids to camps and has been very successful at getting kids, who would not normally have the means, to get noticed and has several of them playing at the next level. He is a perfect fit. Hopefully, those in charge will not botch this when the time comes. It's a "no brainer"!!!!

I think he will be the future man in charge at WOS. The Students like and respect him.

Again, it's a no brainer to us. But, the ones making that call are who I worry about. Their are those in power at the school who would like nothing more than to kill the program. THAT is scary.

This a great hire by the Mustangs!  Toby will do fine there this year and many to come for the Blue and Silver!  Talking to him the other day and reading the article in the paper last week he doesn't plan on leaving ever, which is very good for the kids and the community of Orange.  He will end up being a great head coach after Dan and Cornel retire.  In response to Gasilla comment about the decisions made by the WOC administration, if Cornel or Toby does not become the next head football coach they will have an ENTIRE town of people to answer to.  I believe this return by Toby ensures us TRUE Mustang fans that our GREAT football will be secure for MANY years to come!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami